Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The world’s most realistic racing simulator (check this out)

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      09-11-2012 10:24 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post

which is why I was never good at GT or Forza. For one, I don't drive with my thumbs, and two; I get zero feedback from the "vehicle". granted nothing will be the same or as good as actually driving, but a good simulator will allow the drive to have all required type(s) of feedback to allow them to manage their responses properly and drive the vehicle as fast as it possible.

I agree, Feedback from the car is most important when performance driving. I hate loud music inside the car. You cant hear the engine, cant hear the tires, nothing.

Vehicles
      No longer an early 90's tissue box.
      09-11-2012 10:27 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Pladium, in Mississauga, Ontario (just outside of Toronto), has a few a network of 8 simulators like this ... it's been over a decade since I've been there, but as I recall, it was pretty bomb when we went back when I was in 8th grade ...

YES! I used to go there as a kid once every few years. My dad and I would race in those cars. One time he won a keychain for coming first. (It was a huge deal to me as a kid) Such fond memories.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      09-11-2012 10:39 AM #38
      For SoCal TCLers, you can get a similar experience at Seat Time. They use iRacing as their sim package, and have a cockpit setup with articulation. I've talked to some people who have gone there, and they say it's incredible. Unfortunately, it's NOT cheap.

They cater to semi-pro or pro racers who want to learn a track for the first time, hence the pricing.

http://www.seattimesims.com/

Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-11-2012 11:13 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post

which is why I was never good at GT or Forza. For one, I don't drive with my thumbs, and two; I get zero feedback from the "vehicle". granted nothing will be the same or as good as actually driving, but a good simulator will allow the drive to have all required type(s) of feedback to allow them to manage their responses properly and drive the vehicle as fast as it possible.
      I like playing games with steering wheel and pedal setup, but at the end its still a game, the way you react to it is still different. But it does help me I think to be smoother, if anything you need to be more smooth in game as you can't feel the onset of slip with your butt. Having tried the one we have at work(for work), which is a full motion rig. The crossing over to the higher fidelity one is interesting, as you are much more intuned with the motion, BUT you are also a lot more sensitive to the discontinuity between what you are feeling and what you are seeing. If there is any minute amount of lag in the graphics and the motion, or if you see cues that breaks off the sense of illusion, you can get motion sick really quickly...

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone GTI 1.8t(Gone), 2006 Brilliant Red Audi A3 3.2Q
      09-11-2012 11:37 AM #40
      Mods:Unitronics Stage 1+ | UM DSG Tune | Magnaflow Catback | HPA SHS Coilovers | MODSHACK VTDA intake
      VRSociety #172

Quote Originally Posted by Boost112 View Post
      Interests:Food being shoved in hot chicks faces.... and other stuff....

Vehicles
      2013 GLI, 73' Mini Cooper
      09-11-2012 11:48 AM #41
      http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...163302069.html

That is Beyond amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by RQ1 View Post
      This looks like a nice set-up also

I have that Playseat except the seat itself is uncomfortable as hell after about 20 mins. Your lower back begins to yell at you. I replaced the stock seat with an old Recaro from a CRX SI. Of course I had to create a custom bracket for it to fit properly but it is sooo much better now. I also have the Fanatec Porsche GT2 steering wheel which works for PC/XB360 and PS3.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=210

Vehicles
      MK3 // Q1 TT
      09-11-2012 12:21 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by VMPhil View Post
      I have that Playseat except the seat itself is uncomfortable as hell after about 20 mins. Your lower back begins to yell at you. I replaced the stock seat with an old Recaro from a CRX SI. Of course I had to create a custom bracket for it to fit properly but it is sooo much better now. I also have the Fanatec Porsche GT2 steering wheel which works for PC/XB360 and PS3.

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=210
      I'm seriously going look into buying something like that. Thanks for posting that info

Vehicles
      MK3 // Q1 TT
      09-11-2012 12:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      For SoCal TCLers, you can get a similar experience at Seat Time. They use iRacing as their sim package, and have a cockpit setup with articulation. I've talked to some people who have gone there, and they say it's incredible. Unfortunately, it's NOT cheap.

They cater to semi-pro or pro racers who want to learn a track for the first time, hence the pricing.

http://www.seattimesims.com/

Wow that looks incredible also and very expensive.

Vehicles
      2013 GLI, 73' Mini Cooper
      09-11-2012 12:24 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by RQ1 View Post
      I'm seriously going look into buying something like that. Thanks for posting that info
      No problem! There are also the optional shifters. One is the typical up and down shifting action (arcade style) and there is the 6 speed sequential shift. I bought them both. The 6 speed while very cool is a bitch to get to work properly on the few games that do actually support it but neither are necessary. If you opt NOT to buy either, the steering wheel has paddle shifters and the wheel itself has a **** ton of settings and adjustments to get the right feel for a particular type of game. I love this wheel.

Vehicles
      MK3 // Q1 TT
      09-19-2012 06:14 PM #45
      This one looks fun

11. 09-19-2012 06:27 PM #46
      It's missing a wind tunnel, racing suit and helmet
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

Vehicles
      MK3 // Q1 TT
      11-13-2012 04:00 PM #48
      Another one...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12