Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to Sync Outlook Contacts on Android

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-09-2012 10:25 AM #1
      My parents both recently got Android phones and we're trying to figure out the best way for them to manage their contacts.

They both use Outlook for their personal Verizon (FiOS) email accounts and then they both have GMail accounts since Android pretty much requires them- dad has one to have and mom has one for her business.

So what is the best way to sync their contacts between Outlook (Verizon email) and their GMail accounts?

Dad has an LG Spectrum and mom has a Samsung Galaxy S3.
      Last edited by Hostile; 09-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.

2. 09-09-2012 11:27 AM #2
      My work email (Exchange) and my personal email (Gmail) were sync'd automatically on the Galaxy S III as soon as I had them set up. Have a look at email sync settings.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-09-2012 02:09 PM #3
      Exchange accounts work completely different from standard POP3 accounts in Outlook.

Besides, I'm asking about contacts. Their emails sync up just fine.

4. 09-09-2012 03:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Exchange accounts work completely different from standard POP3 accounts in Outlook.

Besides, I'm asking about contacts. Their emails sync up just fine.
      I was talking about contacts. Let me clarify then, my contacts were auto sync'd as soon as I had my email accounts setup.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-09-2012 03:16 PM #5
      But your using an exchange server- exchange syncing works fine.

09-13-2012 04:07 PM #6
      Hostile... Do your parents care if their Outlook contacts are mingled with their Gmail contacts?

If it's not a big deal, why not import the Outlook contacts into Gmail, then simply use Gmail as the primary email client? (....or are they married to using Outlook for some reason or another?)

Vehicles
      '03 BMW 330i
      09-17-2012 03:48 PM #7
      A quick browse of Google Play shows that there are apps that can sync contacts to phone from outlook, but you have to purchase a desktop client for $10+, depending on the app.

There are others that let you export via csv file, but the convenience factor for that depends on how often your parents collect new email addresses.
      Last edited by Slowkums; 09-17-2012 at 03:51 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
      I never understood the mindset of people who spend a boat load of cash on a car and then never drive it. Why bother?
      "Yeah, my girlfriend is super hot, but I never have sex with her because I want her to be in good condition for her next boyfriend."
      Quote Originally Posted by DubheadFred View Post
      If ignorance is bliss, this thread is Caligulaic ecstasy.

Vehicles
      S1, mk1, mk4, T3 "free candy" edition
      09-18-2012 07:14 PM #8
      As others have mentioned,
      i just bricked my iphone and picked up the s3. I exported a csv file of my contacts from icloud.com, then i wen to gmail and imported them into the contacts in there. After that i sync'd my gmail contacts with my phone. Easy capresi sandwhich.

In other words. Export your contacts in a csv file and keep it in your computer as a safety caution for whenever **** like this happens.

Also, i sync'd my entire exchange/outlook to my calendar and contacts as well on the phone. Fairly capresi sandwhich as well.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-21-2012 10:24 AM #9
      The csv exports are fine for a one-time transfers out of outlook but that appears to be it- new contacts on the phone don't make it back into Outlook.

So basically if I want contacts to truly sync between phone and Outlook I have to buy an app.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Vehicles
      R18 & K24 VTECs
      09-23-2012 12:13 PM #10
      When you say sync do you mean with a USB cable?

Are they opposed to using their Gmail account as their main email account? That would make things much easier. Any contact info that is changed through the Gmail web interface would automatically update the phone OTA and vice versa. Another advantage of this is that contacts are always backed up.

I have my OS X contacts, Gmail contacts and Android phone contacts all linked up. Any changes made on one of these simultaneously updates the other two. My calendars also work this way. Works pretty good.
      Last edited by Honda_Appliance; 09-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      09-27-2012 09:52 AM #11
      Their Verizon accounts are their main accounts and they won't switch- mom's gmail is for her business and dad's is a less-than flattering nickname he got while in the British Army. :p

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-01-2012 05:03 PM #12
      i use Android Sync Manager app. You also install a version on the desktop and it will sync across your wireless network. It allows you to select which specific contacts you want to sync up between outlook and your phone, calendars, photos, etc.

Vehicles
      2003 BMW 330i, 2002 Toyota Appliance
      10-10-2012 02:10 AM #13
      I recently setup gSyncIt for a client and it works great. Syncs Outlook to Google... then phone syncs with Google. Seamless. Worked so well that I set it up on my computer too even though I already had an Exchange account, that way other Google users could see my calendar.
      I always plug in USBs right the first time.

14. 05-12-2014 03:27 AM #14
      1. On your PC, go to the contacts piece of Outlook, export your contact as Comma Separated Values (Windows). Select the Contacts entry from the "Select folder to export from" list.
      Finally, name and find a location to save the exported file to, and click Finish.

2. Log into your Gmail account on the PC where you exported your contacts. In the Gmail window, choose Contacts. Import Contacts CSV file you save before.

3. Now, all you have to do is run the sync on your mobile device. Each phone will handle this differently, but more than likely, all you need do is wait a moment and the device should auto-sync the new contacts.

You can also follow this tutorial to have it done.
      How to Transfer Contacts from Android to Outlook
      Last edited by DavidImola; 05-16-2014 at 03:28 AM.
      `