Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trailer Hitch Install Troubles

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE (previously '10 Tiguan Wolfsburg)
      09-09-2012 06:08 PM #1
      I decided to do the install of the trailer hitch module and mount today. It's only about an hour project, and from all aspects, it's just like the install on our previous 2010 Tiguan.

Problem is ... one of the bolts that holds up the receiver will not thread into the nut. I can use my fingers to thread three of them in, but the last one (drivers side front), will not thread in with any of the 4 bolts. It feels like it's a bad nut. Doesn't seem to be crooked, although that could be part of it.

So, this is certainly a problem. Guess it's a trip down to the dealer tomorrow to see how they want to handle it. From looking underneath, you can't get to the nut at all, and its likely spot welded in too. That means taking the rear bumper cover - and who knows what else - off. Maybe they can rethread it if they have a long enough rethreading tool ... but for sure, I am not going to try and force the bolt into place. I am sure it will get locked in place well before it tightens, and then its my problem.

Certainly this isn't a dealer fault, but VW will have to come up with a fix for me. I'm not too thrilled about the rear covers coming off on a car that we haven't even put 40 miles on yet.
      2012 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (traded up from '10 Tiguan Wolfsburg 4MO)
      VW History includes: 412 Fastbacks, Original Beetles, Scirocco's, Rabbit's & GTI's ... too many VW's to count or remember
      Follow our Journey Across America at OurRVjourney.com

2. 09-09-2012 10:59 PM #2
      Do you have a tap you can run through the threads just to check? Mine went in no problem but I could not tighten any of them up very far by hand.

BTW - I used Locktite on all 4 bolts when I did them up and torqued them to the specified settings - I must say though the torque value seemed high when I was doing up the bolts - but I approached the correct value about 5 ft-lbs at a time and all was well.

Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-09-2012 11:07 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
      Do you have a tap you can run through the threads just to check? Mine went in no problem but I could not tighten any of them up very far by hand.

BTW - I used Locktite on all 4 bolts when I did them up and torqued them to the specified settings - I must say though the torque value seemed high when I was doing up the bolts - but I approached the correct value about 5 ft-lbs at a time and all was well.
      Same here, could only get a couple threads by hand on all 4 but they torqued down just fine.
      2009 GTI - APR Stage 1 - Sold
      2011 GTI - APR Stage 2 - Sold
      2010 Tiguan 4MO - APR K04 - Sold

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      09-10-2012 12:00 AM #4
      Please do NOT use a regular tap in the hole. It will re-cut and weaken the threads. there are special rethreading taps for such a purpose. I have a set and they are different than regular taps.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta 1.8T, 90 Corrado G60
      09-10-2012 09:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      Please do NOT use a regular tap in the hole. It will re-cut and weaken the threads. there are special rethreading taps for such a purpose. I have a set and they are different than regular taps.

Care to explain the difference between a regular tap and a special re threading tap? And where would one purchase a special re threading tap?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      09-10-2012 10:16 AM #6
      May help in finding some

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rethreading+taps

Ive never used them though.. sure someone else can offer more info

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2012 04:30 PM #7
      I would probably do it myself if I had a long enough rethreading tap ... although I shouldn't have to on a new car. I'm bringing it by the dealer tomorrow at 1 and they're going to try to rethread it. It should be ok if they can get a rethreader up there and smooth it out.
      VW History includes: 412 Fastbacks, Original Beetles, Scirocco's, Rabbit's & GTI's ... too many VW's to count or remember

Vehicles
      09 TiG 6MT, 1990 Cabriolet, and Treg 2 v8
      09-10-2012 05:29 PM #8
      Sorry to hear about issues with a new "off the lot" car, but sounds like a easy fix...

btw I love your RV site.. Are you done traveling for the summer? Any plans for next year?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2012 06:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DT EXP View Post
      Sorry to hear about issues with a new "off the lot" car, but sounds like a easy fix...

btw I love your RV site.. Are you done traveling for the summer? Any plans for next year?
      Thanks ... I don't sweat the small stuff, and this is one of those things. I'm guessing a tech in the VW Shop, Audi Shop or Bodyshop should have a long enough rethreading tool.

The transmission mapping, supposedly we do have the latest version, but they are going to double check that tomorrow as well. I hope that maybe they didn't dial in and get the most recent, and whatever was updated wasn't the update that is floating around this thread. Even if it is, we'll give the new car a few hundred miles to adapt to us and then see where it is.

Our Travel site .. thanks. That's more of a fun/side project for me and is lacking in quite a few updates. Aside from recent posts that are still in draft mode, there are quite a few from last summer/last year when we did a lot more travel that are still drafts.

We certainly did not get to spend as much time travelling this past summer, as the year before. We were away from home base for the better part of a year, and came back to plenty of projects to catch up on, although rising fuel prices haven't helped either with the "let's jump in and go away for a week" trips. We only get about 6 to 6 1/2 MPG when towing the Tiguan, so when we do head out we like to make the trips worthwhile. The RV has a 73 gallon fuel tank, so good trip planing is essential ... along with finding creative ways to fill the tank - one of our local grocery stores gives you .10 cents/gallon off for every $100 spent in the store. So when we know we are heading out, we shop there and save up the points. The most I have ever gotten off is $1.90/gallon and at the 35 gallon discount max, we saved $66.50. We also save all our cans and bottles (and get them from our friends) and use the .05cents per can money for fuel. We had a huge turn in earlier in the summer from cans saved up over 6+ months and got $98 in can money to put into the tank.

We've done a few shorter trips this year, including the NASCAR weekend at Pocono earlier this summer. That was a GREAT trip with a GREAT RV Parking spot. We're talking about going to either the NH NASCAR race in 2 weekends or maybe the Dover NASCAR race in 3 weekends .. but we have to line up a few other things to make those trips happen ... work and responsbility does call at times If not, we'll likely do a couple more weekend trips this year, and if winter is not too bad, maybe some winter travel. The motorhome is insulated and has a propane furnace, so winter travel and camping is not out of the question - just wish we had double pane windows ... maybe in the next rig!

So thanks ... we try to keep the website updated for our friends and family so that they can join in on the experience. Keep watching and we also like recommendations ... if there are some good things to do near you, let us know. Texas is a bit far away for a quick trip, but is on our list - it will likely be part of a 2 month or more journey
      Last edited by CtTigWolf; 09-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2012 03:51 PM #10
      Well after visiting the dealer today, their tech confirmed that the bolt cannot be threaded into the nut. It turns out that they will not rethread it, out of safety concerns, and have ordered a replacement assembly. It should take about 3 days to get the parts, then its back to the dealer.

They're going to have to remove the rear bumper cover, remove the crossmember that the receiver mounts to and install a new one.

Kudos to Valenti VW for taking the high road. I can certainly understand the safety concern issue if by rethreading the nut they weaken it's overall strength. I'm not too happy about having the rear bumper cover off on a brand new car, and I am sure this will trip some sort of "car fax" note - but I would much rather have it done right.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      09-11-2012 05:27 PM #11
      It's just the lower part that comes off and it just snaps back in place. It's not major surgery.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2012 07:56 PM #12
      I'm sure it's not too big of a deal. In looking at the bumper, it will likely mean the rear fender well trim off, along with the bumper cover, and whatever else is under there.

I just hate to take apart a new car with all the bolts torqued properly, sealant applied and hardened where it should be ... the worry, if any, is the introduction of squeaks and rattles, maybe a misplaced or mis-torqued bolt here and there.

We haven't even broken 200 miles on our own yet, and the majority of the miles have been the trips back and forth to the dealer.

I have no reason to believe that they will not do a great, and proper job, but ....

13. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta 1.8T, 90 Corrado G60
      09-13-2012 10:32 AM #13
      I would just take a tap and spin it in the hole. There is probably just a very minor issue with the thread. 2 minute job and done. Doing all that work seems like such a waste of time.
      Last edited by liquidvw; 09-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4MO
      09-13-2012 01:38 PM #14
      I remembered when I did mine, one of the bolts was problematic. I pulled out one of the ones I'd already put in, swapped it with the troublesome one, and got them all in no problem.
      -- Mark
      -------------------------------
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1 - Tow Package (Class III) - RNS-510 - Ross-Tech VCDS (Various Mods)
      Previous car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg - w/REVO Tuning, AEM CAI, Audi TT DV

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-13-2012 01:49 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by sixandeightstringer View Post
      I remembered when I did mine, one of the bolts was problematic. I pulled out one of the ones I'd already put in, swapped it with the troublesome one, and got them all in no problem.
      I tried that with all 4 bolts, as did the dealer. The 4 bolts will spin into any of the other 3 holes, just not the last one.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-13-2012 01:53 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
      I would just take a tap and spin it in the hole. There is probably just a very minor issue with the thread. 2 minute job and done. Doing all that work seems like such a waste of time.
      I kind of agree, but what I think is that the dealer and/or VW does not want to take a chance with any liability issues that could potentially crop up if the nut is rethreaded and damaged - and maybe doesn't retain its proper holding strength.