Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Ideas for front license plate mounting

    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      NJ, USA
      Posts
      89
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Quattro
      09-09-2012 06:55 PM #1
      I just purchased an A3 in another state (PA) that doesn't require front plates so it has the filler plate.

      I live in NJ where front plates are required. I know one option would be to purchase the insert to replace my filler panel but what other ways might I mount it?

      It really looks nice without the front plate - wish there was a way to get away without it. I was wondering if there was a way to make a plastic license plate (color copier + laminator perhaps) that I could just double stick tape or tie wrap somehow.

      I would appreciate any suggestions and/or photos.

      Thanks.

    2. Member mike3141's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Posts
      3,678
      Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      09-09-2012 07:06 PM #2
      I've seen plate mounts that use the tow hook attachment.

    3. Member kharma's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2nd, 2004
      Location
      Billerica MA
      Posts
      3,800
      09-09-2012 07:08 PM #3
      I bought one of these hideaway mounts, but haven't installed yet.

      http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1838

      I figure I'll wait until it becomes an issue

    4. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      NJ, USA
      Posts
      89
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Quattro
      09-09-2012 08:17 PM #4
      I don't like the offset look of the tow hook mounts.

      The hideway one looks really slick but I wonder how difficult it is to mount.

      I'm still surfing for other options...

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2009
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      245
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3, 1980 4-Dr Rabbit Diesel
      09-10-2012 12:56 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kharma View Post
      I bought one of these hideaway mounts, but haven't installed yet.

      http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1838

      I figure I'll wait until it becomes an issue
      I've thought about getting one of those, a friend has one on his x-runner. Problem is there is nowhere to mount it except under the bumper, which i would be afraid that it could be damaged over a really steep incline or nasty speedbump...

    6. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,888
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      09-10-2012 07:26 AM #6
      I'm afraid to comment because my luck's been really good so far. I'm not using a front plate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,701
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-10-2012 12:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I'm afraid to comment because my luck's been really good so far. I'm not using a front plate.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2010
      Location
      Portlandia
      Posts
      567
      09-10-2012 12:35 PM #8
      I think Audi does a great job on integrating the front front plate mount into the grill. Granted, yes, it does look better with the plate filler. But this looks better then some silly aftermarket plate mounted on a toe hook, ect


    9. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,888
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      09-10-2012 12:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      How long do I have? 24 hours? ****.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,701
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-10-2012 01:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      How long do I have? 24 hours? ****.
      Nah...I figure by preemptively pulling you over on the forums, it will prevent you from being pulled over IRL. Should work, by my calculations

    11. Member ceese's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,163
      Vehicles
      Audi A3 3.2 quattro sLine 2008, Lava Gray
      09-10-2012 02:40 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by r32nj View Post
      I just purchased an A3 in another state (PA) that doesn't require front plates so it has the filler plate.

      I live in NJ where front plates are required. I know one option would be to purchase the insert to replace my filler panel but what other ways might I mount it?

      It really looks nice without the front plate - wish there was a way to get away without it. I was wondering if there was a way to make a plastic license plate (color copier + laminator perhaps) that I could just double stick tape or tie wrap somehow.

      I would appreciate any suggestions and/or photos.

      Thanks.
      I bought a plastice mounting bracket from Fred Meyers for $3. I haven't installed it yet because I haven't been pulled over for no front plate yet. But I was going to use zip ties and mount it to the mesh.



      Walmart has them too.
      __________________________________________________ _______________
      Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.
      Robert Farago, The Truth About Cars

    12. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2009
      Location
      Kickin it with MKIM
      Posts
      2,659
      09-10-2012 02:44 PM #12
      search is your friend but since i'm in a ggod mood DIY magnet mod using earth magnets. works for years. NOOOOO the front plate doesn't fall off duh!
      I hate cupholders

    13. Member ceese's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,163
      Vehicles
      Audi A3 3.2 quattro sLine 2008, Lava Gray
      09-10-2012 02:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      search is your friend but since i'm in a ggod mood DIY magnet mod using earth magnets. works for years. NOOOOO the front plate doesn't fall off duh!
      Agreed.
      __________________________________________________ _______________
      Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.
      Robert Farago, The Truth About Cars

    14. Member $$Rich$$'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2005
      Location
      Sioux Falls SD
      Posts
      2,313
      Vehicles
      12 GTi Autobahn, 06 A3 3.2 s-line
      09-10-2012 05:34 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      I think Audi does a great job on integrating the front front plate mount into the grill. Granted, yes, it does look better with the plate filler. But this looks better then some silly aftermarket plate mounted on a toe hook, ect

      agree

    15. Member NYCameron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2010
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      2,596
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 DSG, 2004 MKIV .:R
      09-10-2012 08:19 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      search is your friend but since i'm in a ggod mood DIY magnet mod using earth magnets. works for years. NOOOOO the front plate doesn't fall off duh!
      just make sure you pick up strong enough magnets and you keep the distance between magnets to a minimum

      I did that with my europlate to mount over my license plate

      This was before I had a dedicated plate filler, and before low...so shhhh

      But yeah, I think I put too much cushioning on the backside of the magnets on the plate because I can only leave it on whilst stationary...any movement and it falls off
      I'll redo it...one day...
      2006 Audi A3 Sport Package - Neuspeed Intake | APR Stage K04 | Eurocustom 3'' DP | Dogbone Mount Insert | BSH 27mm RSB | 3000k HID Fogs | LED Tails (Inner) | Euro Tails (Outer)

      MKIV .:R

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •