Update 9/26: Started her up today. First time in the past 2 weeks or so. Had a bit of trouble starting. Shes been kicked out of the garage and is sitting outside. She needs a new home.
Here you have a 1989 MK1 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible 5 Speed Manual for sale. She runs pretty strong for her age. I bought it from a nice couple in south Orlando who were selling it because they were moving out of state and couldn't take it with them. The car was kept in the garage when they weren't using it. It has around 111k miles on it. I replaced the original cluster with a new one because the fuel gauge and lights on the old one didn't work. The new one says 50k. As soon as I bought it I dropped $1800 to get the clutch, shift linkage, and a bunch of other stuff replaced from a trusted local shop in Orlando.
- Paint isn't great
- Roof has a few big holes and leaks a little. Will need replacing soon.
- Some stains in the seats from the PO
- Speakers are pretty bad, I replaced the ghetto set up the PO had installed with some aftermarket speakers in the front doors. Have all old wiring and speakers
- Faulty oil sensor? Flashes when dips before 9k rpm even after check and change
- no AC. Has compression but may have leaks. Wasn't a problem due to the drop top
- Replaced stereo head unit
- Replaced rub strips
- Instrument cluster
- Clutch replaced
- Coolant flushed/purged
- Shift linkage replaced
- Replaced AC dash control mechanism
- replaced coolant hose
- Power steering belt replaced
- Hardly any rust. Some below passenger door is all I've seen.
- a bunch of other stuff was replaced with clutch
I recently got a job in Fort Myers but live in Naples and before I bought my Jetta I drove the 40 mile commute on I-75 up. It trucked all the way up and back for two weeks. I would love to keep it and work on it, but I'm fresh out of college and don't have the time or money to put into it.
I would like to sell it to someone who would enjoy it as much as I did and put the time into fixing her up and keeping one more MK1 around.
Any questions feel free to ask. Email is the best way to contact me.
All Clean by Tom Irwin, on Flickr
More photos of the car can be seen HERE
Last edited by T5i drives a VW; 09-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.