Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Spec MKVII speculation

1. 09-10-2012 11:39 AM #1
      I'm wondering how VWOA's recent track record of decontenting cars sold in the U.S. will impact the content on the U.S. spec MKVII? Looking at the MKVII's competition in the market and what actually sells here compact buyers are obviously preoccupied with value over bells and whistles (i.e. Focus Titanium sales vs. SE & SEL trim levels). What do you think we will/won't get on our MKVII's? What would like to have on yours? Personally, I just want a basic MKVII GTI five-door with as little extra crap as possible. Less gizmos, better the reliability and ownership experience.

Vehicles
      Looking for a mk4 VR GTI, 98 accord :(
      09-10-2012 01:00 PM #2
      I couldn't agree more

3. 09-10-2012 02:10 PM #3
      I couldn't agree less. My wife's MKIV Jetta has everything from it's generation many of which are not available on newer Golf/Jettas - rain sensing wipers, memory seats, auto-curb passenger mirror, climatronic, autodimming mirror, etc. We haven't had any reliability issue with those items - they simply make a small car much more luxurious (the reliability of water pumps, door hinges and other bits of the VR6 are a different issue). We drove a MK6 GTI, she didn't like it as much as her current car, and I quote: "it's missing things I like, can we add them as options? No? Well, we're done here." We'll buy a MKVII GTI if it is spec'd right; we'll end up in an A3 or equivelent if the MKVII is as decontened as the MKVI was. Time will tell.

4. Semi-n00b
      09-10-2012 02:29 PM #4
      Xenon lights, a must.

Vehicles
      2006.5 Rabbit 4 door, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      09-10-2012 02:38 PM #5
      This is one of the things I LOVE about my mkV; its simple, straight-forward without having too many pointless options. Luxury car "extras" are mostly things people can live without and it subtracting them brings the introductory price point into a more affordable range.

6. 09-10-2012 03:22 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kdrk888 View Post
      Xenon lights, a must.
      WON"T BUY ONE WITHOUT THEM >>> MAKE THEM STANDARD !!!!! Passed on the MK 6 Gti because you had to buy a loaded one to get them ... unlike my MK 5 where they were standard !

7. 09-16-2012 01:12 AM #7
      I'd be perfectly happy with foglights, a sunroof and heated seats (cloth in the GTI). No interest in navigation, rear camera, power seats, computer controlled systems, and projector/xenon/ HID lights wouldn't affect my decision one way or the other. And a more varied color selection, say a metallic red, some greens, 80's Cosmos Silver, and that Pacific Blue looks great in photos. I'd be OK with a Tiptronic over DSG automatic (complexity and maintenance) And a proper European suspension, please.

Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      09-16-2012 10:43 AM #8
      I just saw Tiptronic over DSG. WTF?! No. Don't even suggest this. LOL. Base cars are nice but a German Car is not really a base car to begin with. Would be cool though if they did give us more options to configure. The European transfer rate and various Taxes have made our US options very difficult to not be limited. The TN Plant and potential inclusion of the Golf being made in Mexico may change this for us in America.

One Question for Jamie or someone in the know...Has anyone been to the Plant in Mexico and/or TN? I would imagine the TN plant is super amazing considering how much it all cost to put together and it looks beautiful in the articles. How is the plant in Mexico? Would be interested in seeing the potential next factory for the Golf in America.

I do wish we had some brighter colors again. I miss the Jazz Blues and Imola's. Hell, even the occasional Rave Green and Tropic Orange was fun to look at back in the day on the Mk4's. The Fahrenheit Editions (Mk5) were bada$$ colors too, it's a shame that they didn't just introduce those as optional colors. (The Cars were hard sells due to the time in which they were sold and the price points. They do exist though and are very neat because they are unique and low production.)

Cheers,
      Devin
      S550Mustang/435i GranCoupe/V60Polestar/RS3/S3/GolfR hmm, plot thickens...

Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      09-16-2012 10:47 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by gtigray View Post
      WON"T BUY ONE WITHOUT THEM >>> MAKE THEM STANDARD !!!!! Passed on the MK 6 Gti because you had to buy a loaded one to get them ... unlike my MK 5 where they were standard !

GTI/GLI should have these standard. (The cars are expensive enough to include this.)

I'm so pissed I was impatient and didn't wait for my latest TDI Golf to option out the HID's. I would say it should be standard on the TDI's but most diesel peeps don't give a crap about this.
      Last edited by djdub; 09-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.
      S550Mustang/435i GranCoupe/V60Polestar/RS3/S3/GolfR hmm, plot thickens...

10. 09-16-2012 01:23 PM #10
      Yep, Tip over DSG. I've had three Tips and find it a perfectly useful and competent transmission; the DSG I drove didn't provide any significantly noticeable improvement. (maybe I don't drive aggressively enough) While the initial cost as an option is fairly close, the Tip doesn't require $400 maintenance service, and that's the clincher for me. The DSG is an engineering marvel, and I certainly wouldn't reject a car with it, but I'm OK with the Tip.

11. Member
      09-16-2012 10:52 PM #11
      Don't forget the torsion beam rear suspension we will get for the new Golf. I bet the GTI will be the only Golf model to have the independent rear suspension.

Yay for decontented N/A Golfs!

12. 09-17-2012 12:12 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Yep, Tip over DSG. I've had three Tips and find it a perfectly useful and competent transmission; the DSG I drove didn't provide any significantly noticeable improvement. (maybe I don't drive aggressively enough) While the initial cost as an option is fairly close, the Tip doesn't require $400 maintenance service, and that's the clincher for me. The DSG is an engineering marvel, and I certainly wouldn't reject a car with it, but I'm OK with the Tip.
      DSG does seem to have quite a few reliability issues. No way any GTI from here on out will be sold or made without it, though. Right now I'm thinking six speed, personally. I don't believe cars like this should be expensive to maintain. So the less extra non std crap the better. With that said I'm all for a deco tented MKVII Golf. Call me "old school", I quite like it that way.

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      09-17-2012 12:40 PM #13
      Add me to the list of those who don't mind the decontented GTI.....

Sunroofs do nothing.... for me.

Leather does nothing.... for me. (although, cloth Top Sports would be nice)

Climatronic is unnecessary..... for me.

Rain-sensor wipers and auto-dimming mirrors are also unnecessary.....for me.

Bi-Xenons with AFS???? Hmmmmmm.... ???? I can't say this is a deal breaker. Then again, it could be. Maybe I've been spoiled.

In 2010, I was able to spec out a MKVI GTI EXACTLY the way I wanted:

• manual transmission
      • 4-door
      • Tornado Red
      • Interlagos cloth
      • Rear air bags
      • Bi-Xenons with AFS
      • Dynaudio
      • Summer tires
      • No sunroof

I'd certainly like the opportunity to do THAT again.

Time will tell.

I'm just excited at the thought of owning a GTI again....regardless of how I am forced to configure it.

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      09-17-2012 01:33 PM #14
      ^^ Correct color!!

Just a few differences in the way I want mine:

Dyna audio - does nothing for me
      Kessy - does nothing for me
      Panoramic sunroof - definitely a no!

i would want:
      2 dr.
      Tornado Red
      DSG
      Leather
      Climatronic
      Rain sensing wipers
      auto headlights
      auto dimming mirror
      Bi-Xeons
      RNS 510 or better (no 315)

(AWD -- oops that makes it an R)

15. 09-17-2012 02:12 PM #15
      Instead of decontenting everything, VWOA could allow those of us who want more of those options to actually order them as OPTIONS. That way, folks who want the base car can get what they want - a great car, no bells, no whistles - and those who want to be able to load it up and have it be a bit more Audi-esque can do the same. Seems like an easy enough answer.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      09-17-2012 08:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by dpmark View Post
      Instead of decontenting everything, VWOA could allow those of us who want more of those options to actually order them as OPTIONS. That way, folks who want the base car can get what they want - a great car, no bells, no whistles - and those who want to be able to load it up and have it be a bit more Audi-esque can do the same. Seems like an easy enough answer.
      This is a nice compromise, because I actually really want premium sound, navigation, bi-xenon headlamps, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers, lots of soft touch plastics, rear seat vents, and all the other wonderful bells and whistles I've grown accustomed to. In fact, I'm going to take this moment to say that a few extras thrown in (that the Euro market gets to spec) would be pretty nice given that this is a complete revamp of the Golf on a new platform. Let people order the car the way they want it. I don't think this is a terribly revolutionary concept and I expect that they'll have standardized trim levels (like they already have on the current Jetta and Passat) and a few options packages. I don't see why all VW consumers must be made to suffer because a select few want to purchase a very basic, no option car.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

17. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      09-18-2012 02:17 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      This is a nice compromise, because I actually really want premium sound, navigation, bi-xenon headlamps, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers, lots of soft touch plastics, rear seat vents, and all the other wonderful bells and whistles I've grown accustomed to. In fact, I'm going to take this moment to say that a few extras thrown in (that the Euro market gets to spec) would be pretty nice given that this is a complete revamp of the Golf on a new platform. Let people order the car the way they want it. I don't think this is a terribly revolutionary concept and I expect that they'll have standardized trim levels (like they already have on the current Jetta and Passat) and a few options packages. I don't see why all VW consumers must be made to suffer because a select few want to purchase a very basic, no option car.
      I think there is an overall issue with localization that might prevent this. The Jetta is built in Mexico but it is shipped to Europe. So the soft-touch plastics and myriad of other luxury items and other things that the German market requires are available to use in the factory in Mexico on our Jettas. If Golf 7 production is localized in North America for just the North American market, then they will likely only tool up and supply those items that the product planners and sales guys plan for. I have heard that VWoA doesn't want to decontent the Golf 7 too much for our market (i.e. avoiding what happened with the Jetta experiment). Having said that, I would expect VWoA to offer a cheaper version of the Golf 7 as a budget model and also offer more luxurious features as well. How far that goes, remains to be seen though as some of the things in the Golf 7 are very expensive options that, even in Germany, have a very low take rate. Europe is a totally different market for Golf than it is here with more than 250,000 sold in Germany alone. That volume allows VW to spread the costs for luxury options across a LOT more cars.

I'll have some face time with the product planning guys soon and will pass along reader feedback.

-jamie

18. 09-18-2012 03:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      I think there is an overall issue with localization that might prevent this. The Jetta is built in Mexico but it is shipped to Europe. So the soft-touch plastics and myriad of other luxury items and other things that the German market requires are available to use in the factory in Mexico on our Jettas. If Golf 7 production is localized in North America for just the North American market, then they will likely only tool up and supply those items that the product planners and sales guys plan for. I have heard that VWoA doesn't want to decontent the Golf 7 too much for our market (i.e. avoiding what happened with the Jetta experiment). Having said that, I would expect VWoA to offer a cheaper version of the Golf 7 as a budget model and also offer more luxurious features as well. How far that goes, remains to be seen though as some of the things in the Golf 7 are very expensive options that, even in Germany, have a very low take rate. Europe is a totally different market for Golf than it is here with more than 250,000 sold in Germany alone. That volume allows VW to spread the costs for luxury options across a LOT more cars.

I'll have some face time with the product planning guys soon and will pass along reader feedback.

-jamie
      Thanks Jamie! What you said makes sense & hopefully the feedback you pass on will have some impact on the VWoA decision makers. Also: tell them to hurry up and get the new Golf/GTI on the dealer lots!!!

Vehicles
      2005 Impala, 2006 Mustang V-6, 2011 Mustang GT, 2012 VW GTI, 2014 Audi S3 (future)
      09-18-2012 03:11 PM #19
      I think Rear-View cameras are going to be required on all vehicles in the U.S starting in 2014. So at least that will be in it :p

"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
      - Mark Twain

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      09-18-2012 05:20 PM #20

-jamie
      Jamie,

Your comments.... and feedback.... and insight..... and logic are always appreciated.

The fact that you have not EMPHATICALLY denied the possibility that the North American MKVII Golf/GTI could actually be built in Mexico is.......well......"interesting."

Hmmmmmm....... So, I guess it is a realistic possibility then? I guess anything is possible....

Hmmmmmm....... (scratches head..........and patiently waits)

Vehicles
      '06 Audi A3, '06 BMW Z4M Coupe
      09-18-2012 07:44 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by dpmark View Post
      Only a tiny percentage of people in the U.S. are willing to special order cars and wait months to get them. With the tiny percentage of special orders comes extra costs for the manufacturer (special builds are a hassle). People mostly buy off dealer lots or dealer trades at other lots and a small to medium production vehicle becomes very difficult to stock if everything is available as a stand alone option. Quickly can turn into hundreds of ways to order a car, and what are the chances the dealer will have what you want.

Vehicles
      2011 VW TDI, DSG, Xenon, Dynaudio
      09-18-2012 10:01 PM #22
      Today I spoke with someone who works for VW Corp. According to him MKVII will arrive to USA in a year or so. P.S. : There was a new Scirocco was at my dealership, of course HQ car. I asked why they dont bring that one here : Answer, We dont wanna ruin GTI sales....

23. 09-19-2012 12:27 AM #23
      We'll get what we been getting. A handful of color choices (less than the EU), a few trim levels with all or nothing equipment levels (again, less equipment than EU versions), DSG transmissions galore and manuals sparingly, and they will consider us lucky to get anything at all. Oh...we'll get more vinyl decals and exciting floor mat choices. Like the Passat, you'll have choose between a TDI SEL DSG or a manual TDI SE. I'll have to upgrade to a Audi A3 and pay too much with similiar limited choices (no manual TDI, no quattro manual).

Looks like I'd have to finally adjust my expectations and buy what is offered. If I'm forced, I will do it but it will not be in a VW or Audi product but a C-class Benz, 1-series BMW, or Cadillac ATS. If I'm forced upmarket, I'm going to break the VW AG habit completely and try something completely different.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      09-19-2012 01:08 AM #24

-jamie
      The localization you referenced regarding the Golf 7 is probably my largest concern for exactly the same reasons you stated. The lack of volume to spread around the cost of premium features seems to portend a lack of many of these features, possibly with the exception of those found readily on competitor vehicles. While this isn't terrible news in light of the relative increase in feature content of competitor cars recently, I'm not sure how it might affect more expensive versions of the Golf like the GTI and Golf R, which sell in lower volumes as you move up the pricing scale. I'm anxious to find out exactly where they'll draw the proverbial line in the sand for our market as far as cost cutting goes and how much of these features we'll stand to lose compared to a Euro spec variant.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

25. 09-19-2012 12:21 PM #25
      I'm not sure how it might affect more expensive versions of the Golf like the GTI and Golf R, which sell in lower volumes as you move up the pricing scale. I'm anxious to find out exactly where they'll draw the proverbial line in the sand for our market as far as cost cutting goes and how much of these features we'll stand to lose compared to a Euro spec variant.
      Pretty sure it will continue as it always has: limited additional content vs. Euro spec models because the profitability just isn't there.

Jamie - please tell your product planner contacts to put silver back on the color pallete for the GTI. It's a mystery it disappeared in the first place.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Autobahn
      09-19-2012 08:41 PM #26
      And yet all Minis are built in England and we get ten million different configuration choices...

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-20-2012 03:56 PM #27
      The localization you referenced regarding the Golf 7 is probably my largest concern for exactly the same reasons you stated. The lack of volume to spread around the cost of premium features seems to portend a lack of many of these features, possibly with the exception of those found readily on competitor vehicles. While this isn't terrible news in light of the relative increase in feature content of competitor cars recently, I'm not sure how it might affect more expensive versions of the Golf like the GTI and Golf R, which sell in lower volumes as you move up the pricing scale. I'm anxious to find out exactly where they'll draw the proverbial line in the sand for our market as far as cost cutting goes and how much of these features we'll stand to lose compared to a Euro spec variant.
      I have had exactly these same thoughts myself.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS
      09-24-2012 05:52 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by PUMA4kicks View Post
      Pretty sure it will continue as it always has: limited additional content vs. Euro spec models because the profitability just isn't there.

Jamie - please tell your product planner contacts to put silver back on the color pallete for the GTI. It's a mystery it disappeared in the first place.
      I second that! Love silver on the GTI.

And while you're at it can we bring back Shark Blue Metallic? And, give it to us on the GTI? I know. Too much to ask.

29. 09-25-2012 08:43 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      Only a tiny percentage of people in the U.S. are willing to special order cars and wait months to get them. With the tiny percentage of special orders comes extra costs for the manufacturer (special builds are a hassle). People mostly buy off dealer lots or dealer trades at other lots and a small to medium production vehicle becomes very difficult to stock if everything is available as a stand alone option. Quickly can turn into hundreds of ways to order a car, and what are the chances the dealer will have what you want.
      I don't think anyone is saying go exclusively special order. For automakers who do make it work they always have cars you can buy off the lot( Mini for example).

It shouldn't cost the manufacturer anything extra if they already have the process in place ( VW does in Germany). Plenty of VW enthusiasts are willing to wait for the car they want, when the MKIVs first came out, plenty waited for a GTI to show up in the car finder ( often took months, especially if you wanted a silver vr6). I waited months for a manual vr6 Jetta to show up. I also waited on the 337.

If promoted correctly with right cars, special order can work for VW.

Vehicles
      2009 CW GTI
      09-27-2012 07:31 PM #30
      I too would really like to see the stand alone optioning back. Im not sure about all the crazy fancy options but at least bring back the ability to order one the way you want it with out all the package mess we have now.

My perfect MKVII would be:

White
      Four door
      18's
      Whatever upgraded audio
      Xenons
      Cloth seats
      DSG
      Possibly sunroof but not needed

Vehicles
      '06 Audi A3, '06 BMW Z4M Coupe
      09-27-2012 09:27 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      I don't think anyone is saying go exclusively special order. For automakers who do make it work they always have cars you can buy off the lot( Mini for example).

It shouldn't cost the manufacturer anything extra if they already have the process in place ( VW does in Germany). Plenty of VW enthusiasts are willing to wait for the car they want, when the MKIVs first came out, plenty waited for a GTI to show up in the car finder ( often took months, especially if you wanted a silver vr6). I waited months for a manual vr6 Jetta to show up. I also waited on the 337.

If promoted correctly with right cars, special order can work for VW.
      Besides Mini which is a niche market and can be a very expensive small vehicle are there any other small, low priced vehicles that allow you to special order individual options or special options? Once you start allowing it, unless you have a decent number of customers using it the process for Manufacturing, Purchasing, and the Suppliers, can quickly add cost that either the person ordering has to pay a high price or everyone else has to supplement.

The trend has been to offer a few option packages as it makes the whole system, process, and inventory simpler.

32. 09-28-2012 07:24 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      Besides Mini which is a niche market and can be a very expensive small vehicle are there any other small, low priced vehicles that allow you to special order individual options or special options? Once you start allowing it, unless you have a decent number of customers using it the process for Manufacturing, Purchasing, and the Suppliers, can quickly add cost that either the person ordering has to pay a high price or everyone else has to supplement.

The trend has been to offer a few option packages as it makes the whole system, process, and inventory simpler.
      Most of the time a U.S. VW enthusiast wants an option or feature that isn't available in their market but is available is Europe. In Germany, the custom ordering process has been in place for a long time, for the vehicles that are manufactured there that include our market the supplies are typically accounted for. What is the specific difference between ordering a car for Germany and one for the U.S. that is being built on the same assembly line? I believe that some ground rules would have to be established (options/features limited to what is available in that vehicle and is certified for our market, build date within the scheduled range for that model year...) but it could work.

Knowing the VW community and their zeal for aftermarket modification, I believe those that want to custom order their car are willing to wait and pay for it.

As for the trend, again, I am not saying replace the established purchasing model. A customer ordered vehicle should not even make it into the inventory database.

33. 09-28-2012 10:42 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Onearmedmidget View Post
      Don't forget the torsion beam rear suspension we will get for the new Golf. I bet the GTI will be the only Golf model to have the independent rear suspension.

Yay for decontented N/A Golfs!
      We won't be getting the torsion beam, how do I know? Stefan Jacoby had a mild stroke when he got the news.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

34. 09-28-2012 10:58 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by PUMA4kicks View Post
      DSG does seem to have quite a few reliability issues.....................
      I firmly believe that the majority of owners who are having reliability issues with their DSG's are the ones with the chipped cars and/or beating on it during the break-in period. I also have a theory that everyone should learn to drive a manual first before switching to an automatic, it gives you a good feel of how the transmission works and when to switch gears without having the computer working overtime to stop you from killing the engine & tranny.

I have an early built 2006 DSG in an unchiped car and have never had any issues whatsoever; none.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

35. 09-28-2012 12:32 PM #35
      The Golf/GTI platform being made here will save in cost so one would think that you could get more standard equipment at a lower price point...

As for the GTI, some things should come standard for the US market.
      Xenon
      Power pack
      Diff.
      Led lighting
      Dimming mirror
      Auto Climate control dual-zone
      18" wheels
      Manual trans
      Upgraded audio

Options:
      Sunroof/rain sensor wipers
      Backup cam w/sensors