VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mkv Gti Air Ride Build

13K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  kevin splits 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve been on vortex for about 2 years but never really contributed to posting and what not; so since i will be purchasing air ride this month, i figured this would be the best time to get in with the crowd and start my own thread.

This is how she’s sitting right now, on racelands (unfortunately) they are all the way down all around, no perches or collars in rear and the bump stops are also cut in half :laugh:

Sorry for the huge picture’s, i’m still a rookie at this.

As you can see it need’s a lot more low :banghead: so i’m going with the manual management kit from bagrider’s.

AirLift Slam Series Front’s

AirLift Slam Series Rear’s

Air Lift Shocks

VIAR 444c compressor

AVS water trap

8 gauge power kit

Since i’m new to the whole air ride scene i’d appreciate if i can get some opinion’s on the set up i’m getting and also some tip’s on how to get as low as possible on these bag’s. :thumbup: staytuned.

See less See more
#6 ·
It's not that they're crap or anything. They just need to be aligned correctly so they don't rub and blow out. Seems to be an impossible task because all the mkv/mk6 guys can't seem to align em :screwy: Either its hard to get right or we're not that smart. :p

#12 ·
well if you use the new brackets not the slam brackets they're fine, my friend has been running XLs with the new brackets that don't require trimming of the nipple hes had no issues other than some blown airlift shocks. Recently upgraded to bilstien shocks.

for all those who have trimmed the nipple for the XL brackets, a suitable upgrade is SS5's with D cups, but don't use the top D cup

#8 · (Edited)
the control arm is shaved

i really dont see why all these people have issues with air lift, i do not think it is hard to center the bag. but i do know you dont hear as much problems with the ss5 + d cups set up. on a side note air lift is designing a new system that incorporates camber/ dampening control for the front and then double bellow style bags for the rears( similar to the ss5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq78xaXqcp8

#15 ·
The only wa to get low on airlift rears is to run the slam brackets and they suck. Stupid design and require more cutting up of your car than there should be.

Ss5/dcups or wait for the new airlift rear setup. And I'll say this because I've always wanted to:

Why build thread? Because air ride.

#29 ·
ok so little update here, i will be ordering my setup next week and since i’m in new york and bag riders is located in vermont i should be getting it the next day. i’m going with the Airhouse II’s with dcup’s. ditching the top cup shaving the nipple and probaly thread in a rod to connect to the bag so it doesn’t shift when i air up/down etc. i will also be having the front passenger side notched. oh and ill be purchasing a windshield decal and shirt also :D

#30 ·
No need to thread the rod into the spring plate. Pointless and a waste of time. Just drill a hole big enough for the rod to slide up into it.

Threading it into the spring plate will cause the bag's seals to be potentially pulled on if air is released from the bag when the car is jacked up. :beer::beer:

#32 ·
Well, sort of. The Top dcup will NOT be used with this technique. You will need to buy a piece of 3/8" all-thread from home depot. Cut it down to length and thread it into the top of the bag. Then guide that into the hole as you raise the control arm up.

Yes it will stay. I made my rod long enough so that if the car is in the air with no air in the bag the rod will not fall out so you don't haven't worry about it ever unless you are disconnecting the control arm.

#34 ·
alright thank’s a lot man i appreciate it, i’m ordering my kit at the end of the week and i’m going crazy trying to make sure i get everything perfect lol and also because i’m exicted to not be static anymore :laugh: also do you remember what the length of the rod you put in was by any chance ?

#40 ·
this week is the week boys ! ordering my air i am beyond exicted, getting installed after h20i.. getting frame notch done and shaving nipples and ditching top cup. i want to thank everyone in this thread for helping me out i would have no idea what i was doing with out you guys :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.