Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do not let 'responsible older sisters' take out your 3 month old 2012 Passat (no cars or people seriously injured)

Vehicles
      2013 Passat 2.5 SE, 2001 Jetta 2.0, 1998 Wrangler 2.5, 1983 300D Turbo Diesel
      09-10-2012 10:15 PM #1
      My sister LOVES my Passat. She wanted one when it came out, hated me when I got mine, and still wants one. But she never drove one. She always wants to drive it and I never let her. I don't let anyone drive my car. I live in NYC, and NYC is a crazy place to drive and park. My sister drives an older C-Class to the train station to go to Manhattan everyday since it is small and she really does not care if it gets scratched or not. I went to Florida for Labor Day weekend, 5 days in total. So, the 5 days I was not in Brooklyn, I let my sister, who is older then me (and who works for Louie Vuitton Corporate and has money but is cheap as hell) use my car. She let me use her cars when I was younger and she was daddys little girl and daddy always gave her something nice to drive, so I returned the favor. I told her to not treat it like her car, and to please take my bumper bully out of the trunk before you park so you don't scratch my bumper.

I thought at her age she would be responsible enough to listen when I say use the bumper bully before you start parking. But no, and she puts a lovely gouge in the bumper. It looked like she backed into a car with a nice round phillips license plate screw and kept it parked there. And this is after I told her about 10 times to pull out the bumper bully. I take pictures and show her and she denies it. I open my trunk, and my bumper bully was not even visible. It was buried under my work clothes that I left in the car the before I left. I told her that and she still said she used it. As I am talking to her, I notice a bright orange piece of paper on the table which is ticket with 2012 WHITE VOLKS $65.00 on it. She tells me that she is going to pay the ticket, and for the bumper. I took the ticket and paid it because I know her and it would sit on her table for 6 months. But I am wondering if I should get $300 from her later and told her I pained the bumper. Meanwhile I already touched it up and it now it looks fine.

What I got out of this whole situation: Do not let your sister, younger or older, girlfriend, wife, father, mother, aunt, grandmother, grandfather, or anyone drive your car if you care about it.

Last edited by JJS119; 09-10-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      I'd rather have AIDS than a diesel station wagon.

Vehicles
      '99 Ford SVT Contour/'06 Scion tC 5MT
      09-10-2012 10:21 PM #2
      Well yeah. I would generally agree. ...but you named a Volkswagen family sedan 'Penelope'?

And why aren't there pics of your sister?!
      Last edited by SAV912; 09-11-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Pics of car and not sister, I don't understand.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango
      Nah. 10 mins later he was yelling in the cat's direction that he was going to call the police and have him arrested, then asking for cake.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      09-10-2012 10:22 PM #3
      On the one hand, I feel your pain, and I'm sorry that happened. On the other hand, it's just an inexpensive economy sedan so it's probably not worth freaking out about too much. So I'd say just touching up the bumper and letting the whole thing slide was probably the right idea

Vehicles
      2013 Passat 2.5 SE, 2001 Jetta 2.0, 1998 Wrangler 2.5, 1983 300D Turbo Diesel
      09-10-2012 10:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      Well yeah. I would generally agree.

...but you named a Volkswagen family sedan 'Penelope'?
      My girlfriend kinda named it and I went along with it since I liked that cartoon where all those mobsters in the Model T would always save that blond chick Penelope Pitstop.

I have been a lot calmer lately and was really surprised I did not flip out. I just love this car though. I always said I would buy a VW new if money was an issue, and a Mercedes S-Class if it wasn't. I am 23 work and go to school, so money is an issue to me.
      Last edited by JJS119; 09-10-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      I'd rather have AIDS than a diesel station wagon.

Vehicles
      09-10-2012 10:43 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by JJS119 View Post
      My girlfriend kinda named it and I went along with it since I liked that cartoon where all those mobsters in the Model T would always save that blond chick Penelope Pitstop.
      Aaah. Okay, you can have your internet points back then.

I agree that the first nick in the paint on a brand new machine sucks, regardless of what it is, but come on dude. You live in one of the worst habitats for shiny rides, and I say this having grown up in Queens. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

If you want, we can trade. My Yaris got rearended over Labor Day weekend by some ditzytits in a Passport. Now I get to spend my next two weeks driving a Mazda5 that constantly looks at me from the driveway with it's stupid grinning face like it's made a huge mess somewhere in the house that I just haven't found yet.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Nah. 10 mins later he was yelling in the cat's direction that he was going to call the police and have him arrested, then asking for cake.

09-10-2012 10:45 PM #6
      Look at this dumb VW fanboii.

its a passat. who cares! its not like you're driving an integra or ferrari!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      09-10-2012 10:53 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by slide13 View Post

look at this dumb ass honda fanboi trying to compare an integra to a Ferrari

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      09-10-2012 10:54 PM #8
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      09-10-2012 10:58 PM #9
      Pics of sister or I don't believe you.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      09-10-2012 10:58 PM #10
      Your sister was a daddy's girl, according to your post.
      Lesson learned.

She probably has no concept o accountability or reason. And if she is cheap, as you say, she probably loves spending others' money. Get her to get your dad to cover the cost. I'm sure it's easy for her.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

11. 09-10-2012 10:59 PM #11

It's TCL. It's OK to be friendly to enthusiasts of other car brands. If you're not into diversity and can not keep a discussion positive amongst other car enthusiasts, you might want to look at other forums that are more brand specific.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-10-2012 11:03 PM #12
      sigh....

13. 09-10-2012 11:11 PM #13
      I went for a hike with a buddy and his dog last weekend, the dog scratched the back bumper with his claws getting in the hatch (the back seat was folded down)... I didn't even give one ****, because it's just some plastic and paint. I would have felt worse if the dog hurt himself jumping in.

Most places can respray a bumper perfectly for a couple of hundred bucks, but why bother? It's going to get scratched again. Then again, my car is not brand new either.

I always let my sister borrow my car, any time she asks, (which is not that often, honestly. I don't think she's driven the GTI I have now), but as long as she doesn't curb the wheels, i'm a happy man.

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      09-10-2012 11:20 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by JJS119 View Post
      What I got out of this whole situation: Do not let your sister, younger or older, girlfriend, wife, father, mother, aunt, grandmother, grandfather, or anyone drive your car if you care about it.
      Count your blessings, I let a friend drive my Jetta and he put it in a ditch. Too much understeer.

Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post

look at this dumb ass honda fanboi trying to compare an integra to a Ferrari
      No possibility that he's being sarcastic?

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      09-10-2012 11:24 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by bherman13 View Post
      Count your blessings, I let a friend drive my Jetta and he put it in a ditch. Too much understeer.

No possibility that he's being sarcastic?
      Not with a sig that say's honda 4 life... I'm not saying the integra is a bad car, but its not even in the same league as a Ferrari.

16. Member
      09-10-2012 11:25 PM #16
      Once my mother in law tried to move my car to the other side of the street for some reason or another and ran my car into the back of an suv. She probably hit the accelerate instead of brake. She did well over $1000 in damage but I never asked her to pay one cent. Family is family, you forgive and forget.

As said it's just a car and to me family is more important.

17. 09-11-2012 12:09 AM #17
      All my sisters are like that in terms of car related and are not important to them. However, they drive nicer cars than me and they can afford it. To get back on your sister take some of her shoes and purse hostage until she pays up. By the sound of this idiots that it is only a VW...only in America would someone says that. Your hard earn money put on the car plus the cost of insurance, gas, maintenace, etc. Think about the people that cannot afford a vehicle. I may have a VW, but I am loyal the the brand plus very happy to have 4 VW since H.S.

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      09-11-2012 12:17 AM #18
      in 2004 i got a year old 2003 Chevy IMPALA lightly used, it was the nicest car i've had up to that point, and noone got to drive it. i also lived in Queens at that time. and when my older *(more responsible sister) needed a car she could easily borrow our parents MAXIMA.
      but NO one day i gave in and let her borrow my car, no bid deal, no damage or anything,
      but when she came back, she was not the one driving, but it was this d-bag bf of hers at the time that i did not like, and while turning around on the corner when in Reverse rolling back i could see him throw it into D , just really not caring. i told him to get the F out of my car, and after that she knew better to not even bother asking me for my car. there's my Older sister story

19. 09-11-2012 12:52 AM #19
      lol

maybe our sisters know each other, haha b/c my sister drives like sh!t in bklyn lol

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      09-11-2012 01:01 AM #20
      Wow. Talk about first world problems. Touch it up and quit yer whining.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      09-11-2012 01:03 AM #21
      Your sister has very little taste and your scratched bumper is bad topic starter.

Type-R FTW

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      09-11-2012 01:15 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      Not with a sig that say's honda 4 life... I'm not saying the integra is a bad car, but its not even in the same league as a Ferrari.

IMHO, you can be a dedicated fan of an economy brand and know it's nowhere near the reputation of a brand like Ferrari. Sounded more like sarcasm, like if I had said "....it's not a 1.8t or a Ferrari...".

But then again, I don't know this guy so he could very well have been serious.

23. 09-11-2012 01:45 AM #23
      I think wether is just an old vw, or a ferrari fo us that have worked hard to own something nice to "us" a scratched up bumper by somebody else might be a bit harsh, i know my econobox had a couple of scratches and i was pissed because i know the valet (i know i know my fault, but try to find a parking lot in downtown mexico city on a friday night is a bitch) so even though i can buff it out, touch it up, or just pretend like it's not there, gets me upset because it's my freaking new car!!!

*disclaimer i've been up for more than 20 hrs, while dealing with bs at work, and i did not mean to come up as a douche, or uptight little fooker!
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Civic Type H
      09-11-2012 01:55 AM #24
      I park in Boston all the time and don't have one of these silly bumper bully things on my car, and I've never personally made contact with anything with my car while parking my civic... And you can't even see where the bumper ends in this car, you just sort of guess, no way in hell to see how far away you are from any other car within about 2 feet, just kinda have to guess by how much of their hood you see, possibly get out and look... I think the best system is the backup cameras. Those things make it like impossible to hit something, plus they increase you visibility by a LOT.

09-11-2012 02:12 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by bherman13 View Post
      IMHO, you can be a dedicated fan of an economy brand and know it's nowhere near the reputation of a brand like Ferrari. Sounded more like sarcasm, like if I had said "....it's not a 1.8t or a Ferrari...".

But then again, I don't know this guy so he could very well have been serious.
      dead serious. i'd take a well built civic over a ferrari any day. even an F40. it will most likely out perform an F40

Type R FTW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      Your sister has very little taste and your scratched bumper is bad topic starter.

Type-R FTW
      thank you. finally someone who understand. i really wish that, this was a thread about how awesome 9K rpm redline of the type R really is!
      Last edited by slide13; 09-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 02:18 AM #26
      dead serious. i'd take a well built civic over a ferrari any day. even an F40. it will most likely out perform an F40

Type R FTW!!!!!

thank you. finally someone who understand. i really wish that, this was a thread about how awesome 9K rpm redline of the type R really is!
      I really wish this thread was about Mila Kunis' awesome rack but since either one of those isn't happening, how's about a nice tall glass of Calm Down juice.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!

09-11-2012 02:19 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      I really wish this thread was about Mila Kunis' awesome rack but since either one of those isn't happening, how's about a nice tall glass of Calm Down juice.
      oh look another VW fanboii.

28. 09-11-2012 02:37 AM #28
      Where in bklyn do you park , because most hipsters in Williamburg/Boeurum Hill park like s*** asthey don't care about theyre hoopty old volvos, subaru wagons since they're high on veggies and soy milk

Vehicles
      '96 GTI VR6
      09-11-2012 02:45 AM #29
      Watch Parking Wars on Netflix. You will NEVER let anyone borrow your car again!

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 03:18 AM #30
      oh look another VW fanboii.
      Son, I own a ****ing Yaris. You wanna try again?

My hatred for all things Volkswagen (especially the A3 Jetta/Golf) and Audi is well documented on this website.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      09-11-2012 03:42 AM #31
      SAV, could you edit your first reply and let everyone know that THERE ARE NO SISTER PICS HERE!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      "...you see an RX-8 has a rotary engine! Do you know what a rotary engine is? Well, the reason why I'm filling oil into my engine is...hello? where'd you go? It's injected into the combustion chamber and it LUBRICATES THE SEALS! IT LUBRICATES THE SEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALS"

Vehicles
      Matrix
      09-11-2012 03:57 AM #32
      It's **** like this that makes New Yorkers get a bad reputation

It's just a car

P.S pics of sis?

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      09-11-2012 05:37 AM #33
      I've read what the original poster posted, read the replies and shrugged if off. However it's been bugging me for the last few hours and I had to revisit this thread to share a few of my thoughts.

It seems to me that what type of vehicle or even object this happened to isn't really important. What seems should be important is knowing/understanding the difference between an accident and an on purpose.

When I was 9 years old I threw a lot of temper tantrums as 9 year old's are apt to do. One of mine culminated in my throwing a chair down the back stairs. Damaging both the wall and the chair. My Mother (who was barely missed by the chair) grabbed one of the legs and spanked my bottom. I'm not condoning violence against children or anyone in fact but it did teach me not to throw chairs down the stairs.

Later that year I ran though the glass in the storm door not realizing it was closed (not the brightest child I'll admit that). I thought for sure I was going to be punished but my mother explained it was an accident. Thus teaching me the difference between an accident and an on purpose.

So when my Mother accidentally curbed my wheels while her vehicle was in the shop last year. From this thread I gather that offering her comfort and letting her know it's not a big deal was the wrong thing to do. Instead my first reaction should be to post a thread on the number one read Automotive Forum on the number one Automotive website in the entire world. Thus offering an opportunity to not only air my laundry but possibly humiliate my mother in the process.

Thank you for this valuable lesson. I shall forever be grateful.

Tom
      Last edited by eunos94; 09-11-2012 at 06:10 AM.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      09-11-2012 05:56 AM #34
      finding the line between acceptance and vengeance is a never-ending struggle. i tend to break my own stuff before other people do, so i'm pretty accepting of others
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      "...you see an RX-8 has a rotary engine! Do you know what a rotary engine is? Well, the reason why I'm filling oil into my engine is...hello? where'd you go? It's injected into the combustion chamber and it LUBRICATES THE SEALS! IT LUBRICATES THE SEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALS"

09-11-2012 05:59 AM #35
      I love the "It's just a VW" replies, as if people who don't buy Bentleys don't deserve un-****ed-up bumpers.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast