Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do not let 'responsible older sisters' take out your 3 month old 2012 Passat (no cars or people seriously injured)

Vehicles
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      09-11-2012 02:18 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
      dead serious. i'd take a well built civic over a ferrari any day. even an F40. it will most likely out perform an F40

Type R FTW!!!!!

thank you. finally someone who understand. i really wish that, this was a thread about how awesome 9K rpm redline of the type R really is!
      I really wish this thread was about Mila Kunis' awesome rack but since either one of those isn't happening, how's about a nice tall glass of Calm Down juice.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r
      So help me, if I had a vag I'd be putting things in that **** all day just to see what fits.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI
      Do you want to end up on LiveLeak? Because that's how you end up on LiveLeak.

09-11-2012 02:19 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      I really wish this thread was about Mila Kunis' awesome rack but since either one of those isn't happening, how's about a nice tall glass of Calm Down juice.
      oh look another VW fanboii.

3. 09-11-2012 02:37 AM #28
      Where in bklyn do you park , because most hipsters in Williamburg/Boeurum Hill park like s*** asthey don't care about theyre hoopty old volvos, subaru wagons since they're high on veggies and soy milk

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      09-11-2012 02:45 AM #29
      Watch Parking Wars on Netflix. You will NEVER let anyone borrow your car again!

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 03:18 AM #30
      oh look another VW fanboii.
      Son, I own a ****ing Yaris. You wanna try again?

My hatred for all things Volkswagen (especially the A3 Jetta/Golf) and Audi is well documented on this website.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      So help me, if I had a vag I'd be putting things in that **** all day just to see what fits.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      09-11-2012 03:42 AM #31
      SAV, could you edit your first reply and let everyone know that THERE ARE NO SISTER PICS HERE!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfcastle View Post
      Who cares if im wrong, its the internet.

Vehicles
      Matrix
      09-11-2012 03:57 AM #32
      It's **** like this that makes New Yorkers get a bad reputation

It's just a car

P.S pics of sis?

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      09-11-2012 05:37 AM #33
      I've read what the original poster posted, read the replies and shrugged if off. However it's been bugging me for the last few hours and I had to revisit this thread to share a few of my thoughts.

It seems to me that what type of vehicle or even object this happened to isn't really important. What seems should be important is knowing/understanding the difference between an accident and an on purpose.

When I was 9 years old I threw a lot of temper tantrums as 9 year old's are apt to do. One of mine culminated in my throwing a chair down the back stairs. Damaging both the wall and the chair. My Mother (who was barely missed by the chair) grabbed one of the legs and spanked my bottom. I'm not condoning violence against children or anyone in fact but it did teach me not to throw chairs down the stairs.

Later that year I ran though the glass in the storm door not realizing it was closed (not the brightest child I'll admit that). I thought for sure I was going to be punished but my mother explained it was an accident. Thus teaching me the difference between an accident and an on purpose.

So when my Mother accidentally curbed my wheels while her vehicle was in the shop last year. From this thread I gather that offering her comfort and letting her know it's not a big deal was the wrong thing to do. Instead my first reaction should be to post a thread on the number one read Automotive Forum on the number one Automotive website in the entire world. Thus offering an opportunity to not only air my laundry but possibly humiliate my mother in the process.

Thank you for this valuable lesson. I shall forever be grateful.

Tom
      Last edited by eunos94; 09-11-2012 at 06:10 AM.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      09-11-2012 05:56 AM #34
      finding the line between acceptance and vengeance is a never-ending struggle. i tend to break my own stuff before other people do, so i'm pretty accepting of others

09-11-2012 05:59 AM #35
      I love the "It's just a VW" replies, as if people who don't buy Bentleys don't deserve un-****ed-up bumpers.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      2004 Cooper
      09-11-2012 06:22 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      I love the "It's just a VW" replies, as if people who don't buy Bentleys don't deserve un-****ed-up bumpers.
      Right. I treat my Cooper like an F40 for F**** sake

12. 09-11-2012 10:25 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Your sister was a daddy's girl, according to your post.

Yeah, I do not know what he was expecting. He even said she was a horrible driver.
      How he failed to see something like this happen is rather odd.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Dodge Dakota
      09-11-2012 10:37 AM #38
      There's a phrase I never expected to hear: Mila Kunis' and "awesome rack" in the same sentence. Beautiful woman, but well-endowed she ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      The crux of the matter, right there. Regardless of what you think of someone's car, if they let you borrow their rusted-out '79 Gremlin you should still treat it like you've borrowed a vintage Bugatti and return it in as good a shape as you got it or better. Even if the owner doesn't treat it well themselves, and regardless of how crappy you treat your own vehicle.

Being family is not carte blanche to mistreat someone - in fact, it's pretty much the biggest reason there is to treat someone well. I'll never understand how people get that backwards.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      UG .:Meow32
      09-11-2012 10:40 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      SAV, could you edit your first reply and let everyone know that THERE ARE NO SISTER PICS HERE!!!!
      I second this. Came in for pics and nothing else
      __.__.__.__.__.__.__.

.:R32 - sponsored by mommy.

15. 09-11-2012 11:48 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JJS119 View Post
      But I am wondering if I should get $300 from her later and told her I pained the bumper. Meanwhile I already touched it up and it now it looks fine.

What I got out of this whole situation: Do not let your sister, younger or older, girlfriend, wife, father, mother, aunt, grandmother, grandfather, or anyone drive your car if you care about it.
      You learned your lesson about lending stuff out; don't. And you're free to go be a piece of **** and strangle $300 out of your sister for something that they MAKE TOUCH UP PAINT FOR. That's exactly what it's for! You live in NYC for Gods sake. Take a look around at all the 3+ year old cars; that's what your bumpers are going to look like soon. So she forgot to use the bumper bully; we get it. Ask her to cover the cost of the touch up paint; or, if she offers you $300 for the repairs decline it politely; or say "You're my sister, grab me a drink and dinner and we'll hang out and we are even". Or, whatever direction an ethically correct internal compass would point.

It's one thing in this place when everyone advocates getting over on the other guy, or not, depending on which way the wind blows but it takes a real Mercedes and new VW owning piece of **** to try to get over on their own family for the type of damage fixed with VW branded nail polish. See what I did there? I listed name brands to make it sounds like you're the piece of **** I am calling you out to be, just like you did to your sister by naming where she works as if that should somehow shame her into acting like a top name brand and doing "the right thing".

Jesus tap dancing Christ; I sympathize with the deli owner that might forget to give you a pack of Saltines.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

16. 09-11-2012 11:53 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post

The crux of the matter, right there. Regardless of what you think of someone's car, if they let you borrow their rusted-out '79 Gremlin you should still treat it like you've borrowed a vintage Bugatti and return it in as good a shape as you got it or better. Even if the owner doesn't treat it well themselves, and regardless of how crappy you treat your own vehicle.

Being family is not carte blanche to mistreat someone - in fact, it's pretty much the biggest reason there is to treat someone well. I'll never understand how people get that backwards.
      I agree with you. If you borrow something, anything, try to return it in better condition than when you borrowed it. But hey, in NYC a nick on the bumper happens. It's park of life. For all we know the sister returned the car washed, vacuumed, and gassed up; which would have shown an intention to return a borrowed item in better than received condition.

But even if she did NONE of those things; she did not intentionally nick the bumper, or even try to hide it or deny responsibility. You shouldn't torture someone over such a minor boo boo that they didn't go out looking to incur. This guy is "getting it backwards". He is thinking, out loud, on a public forum, that somehow he has been wronged to enough of a degree to try to get over on his sister for $300. THAT'S THE ENTIRE REASON FOR HIS POST. Part of him KNOWS it isn't right...but he was probably raised in such a way that if a stranger had nicked his bumper he'd be on their back RIGHT NOW for the $300, so he has a dilemma and is looking for a bunch of keyboard cowboys to say "Yes, go ahead, get over on her"

It's sad.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      09-11-2012 12:05 PM #42
      Totally had to search for what a bumper bully was, haha.

Vehicles
      2013 GLI
      09-11-2012 12:20 PM #43
      Well yeah. I would generally agree.

...but you named a Volkswagen family sedan 'Penelope'?
      hahaha! "Hey, did Penelope call?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3CMf6KcgM

@ 3:53 NSFW language.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      09-11-2012 12:36 PM #44
      Look at this dumb VW fanboii.

its a passat. who cares! its not like you're driving an integra or ferrari!
      Oh my God! How are you still allowed to post here? If you're trying to be funny, its not working. If you're serious than you need to really open your mind and grow up, child. If you're just a troll than fine, I fell for it. But it's still not funny to anyone other than your meager little self. So sick of people like you crapping in here.

As for the OP - you probably should have listened to your gut. It sucks the car got a ding but hey, its a car, sounds like you're probably over it. There will be others. Gotta love your family, no matter how nutty they can be!

PS, I generally don't like my wife driving my car but for different reasons. I trust her completely and don't care if something happened to the car. I don't like for her to drive it because I'm always afraid of it breaking down on her somewhere! That's a call I don't want to get!
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '02 Passat wagon & lots of MCs and shtuff...
      09-11-2012 12:43 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      I went for a hike with a buddy and his dog last weekend, the dog scratched the back bumper with his claws getting in the hatch (the back seat was folded down)... I didn't even give one ****, because it's just some plastic and paint. I would have felt worse if the dog hurt himself jumping in.

Most places can respray a bumper perfectly for a couple of hundred bucks, but why bother? It's going to get scratched again. Then again, my car is not brand new either.

I always let my sister borrow my car, any time she asks, (which is not that often, honestly. I don't think she's driven the GTI I have now), but as long as she doesn't curb the wheels, i'm a happy man.
      You're such a better man than the OP.

Pretty sure that's the gist of your post, otherwise, it has no point.
      A known "hiveminder".

21. 09-11-2012 12:48 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      I went for a hike with a buddy and his dog last weekend, the dog scratched the back bumper with his claws getting in the hatch
      Was the dog wearing a harness and seat belt while ridding in the car?

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 12:49 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
      There's a phrase I never expected to hear: Mila Kunis' and "awesome rack" in the same sentence. Beautiful woman, but well-endowed she ain't.
      No. They aren't huge, but she is a gorgeous woman so I don't imagine it would be a letdown. Her rack vs a white Passat with a nicked bumper. FIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      Done. Necessary duties must come first.

Hope OP knows I'm just dickin' around. It's a slow day in the pharm today.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!

Vehicles
      GTi 1.8T, Ford SD 6.0L, Honda NC700, Honda NT650
      09-11-2012 01:00 PM #48
      The only things I got from this whole thread is:

1. Everyone on TCL is better than everyone else on TCL. (News flash?)

2. The OP considers a brand new Passat to be a good car "when money is tight"

Son, my "Money is tight" car is a $2000 Saturn, my "holy **** I'm actually making decent money for a change" car is my current 2005 Outback I spent $19k for used... If you expect us to believe that a scratch on a bumper is a big deal, you might want to have started with a really nicely kept older used car, and also maybe stop acting like your sister is the only spoiled one in your family... Just sayin.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      09-12-2012 05:02 AM #49
      Done. Necessary duties must come first.
      good man now, about this competition between a passat bumper and mila's airbags - i have no idea on which criteria to begin judging...

Vehicles
      VW
      09-12-2012 05:53 AM #50
      There should be a rule about posting threads on TCL. This one is really stupid.
      No pics of sister
      No video or bad accident
      Mandatory VW diss
      Just OP whining about his bumper getting dinged. Get over your self, you cry baby.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast