Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: First Drive: MY2013 Audi Q5 3.0 TFSI S-line

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      09-11-2012 10:53 AM #1

A few weeks ago I had the chance to drive the entire range of new Q5 models - at least the new ones that'll be coming Stateside (3.0 TFSI, 3.0 TDI and 2.0 TFSI hybrid) as well as the SQ5. We'll be publishing first drive reports on all of these models but we've started with the 3.0 TFSI. Built to S-line spec, this car is now the closest thing we'll get to an S4 Avant... but is it credible for enthusiasts? Well (spoiler alert on the SQ5), I think it is. As for the slightly softer and slightly taller 3.0 TFSI S-line... follow the link and let me know what you think.

Full Story

2. 09-12-2012 11:09 AM #2
      As a B6 S4 Avant driver myself, nothing you said makes me want to consider one of these. It's ugly, it's a crossover, it's an auto, the cargo space is tiny (smaller than the old S4 Avant) and I can't imagine I would feel safe in it. And the price is ridiculous. Oh yeah, and the colors are yawn.

I'm starting to look elsewhere

3. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      09-13-2012 10:56 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by train_depot View Post
      As a B6 S4 Avant driver myself, nothing you said makes me want to consider one of these. It's ugly, it's a crossover, it's an auto, the cargo space is tiny (smaller than the old S4 Avant) and I can't imagine I would feel safe in it. And the price is ridiculous. Oh yeah, and the colors are yawn.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I find the Q5 trunk to be more usable than the A4 Avant/allroad because it's taller. The coupe-like slope of the Avant would make it more difficult than the Q5 to pile luggage or have my Coon Hound go along for a ride. Those are priorities for me, but maybe not you. If not, may I also suggest the A7. I took a 3.0 TFSI to Florida earlier this year with two buddies and all our gear and we averaged 29 MPG. Aerodynamically it's better than a Q or an Avant.

When I was younger I owned a Mk4 VW Golf 1.8T 4-door. While I prefer Audi, I actually really liked the dimension and general usable space of the car. To me the SQ5, a slightly lowered and more sporting take on the Q5, is a more luxurious and more grown up take. I never really saw the Q5 that way until I drove the SQ5.

Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      09-17-2012 05:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by train_depot View Post

Sadly I tend to agree with most of your points. I much prefer the new allroad but it's gonna have to have a different engine option before I'll put it on next year's list. I haul a kayak around and really want the lower roofline, which greatly helps with loading/unloading a kayak. The lower profile also helps the car deal with crosswinds better than the Q profile.

But I'm agnostic on the tranny. Give me either a stick or a manual, as long as it works with élan.

Next year I hope to give the new F31 bmw with the N20 engine a test drive. Can't believe that I'm saying that after owning two Avants

Byron

5. 09-17-2012 10:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude View Post

A few weeks ago I had the chance to drive the entire range of new Q5 models - at least the new ones that'll be coming Stateside (3.0 TFSI, 3.0 TDI and 2.0 TFSI hybrid) as well as the SQ5. We'll be publishing first drive reports on all of these models but we've started with the 3.0 TFSI. Built to S-line spec, this car is now the closest thing we'll get to an S4 Avant... but is it credible for enthusiasts? Well (spoiler alert on the SQ5), I think it is. As for the slightly softer and slightly taller 3.0 TFSI S-line... follow the link and let me know what you think.

Full Story
      I just ordered my 2013 3.0T the other day with the S-line package. Did you take any pictures of the flat bottom steering wheel? I can't find pics of this steering wheel anywhere.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 11:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by poe_a_4 View Post
      I just ordered my 2013 3.0T the other day with the S-line package. Did you take any pictures of the flat bottom steering wheel? I can't find pics of this steering wheel anywhere.
      That engine should make for a nice match with the Q. Sure wish Audi would stick it in the allroad...

Byron

7. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-18-2012 08:31 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by poe_a_4 View Post
      Our test car didn't have it, so I suspect the wheel in our car was the Sport Interior (non S-line US) spec. In Europe the flat-bottom is an option also on the S4/S5 and A4/A5 S-lines. I was told the flat bottom information from an American product planner who accompanied us on that trip. As I understand it, it should be the same flat-bottom wheel that is in the new US-spec MY2013 S4/S5 and A4/A5 S-line but with the S-line badge on the bottom spoke.

8. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-18-2012 08:32 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSuMi View Post
      That engine should make for a nice match with the Q. Sure wish Audi would stick it in the allroad...
      Making the allroad a performance proposition like last time would have been very cool. I think they'd have had to lower it a bit though to get the handling right, and air suspension would have made it even that much more expensive.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 10:26 AM #9
      Making the allroad a performance proposition like last time would have been very cool. I think they'd have had to lower it a bit though to get the handling right, and air suspension would have made it even that much more expensive.
      And Audi can keep their air suspension

However as nice as the EA888 engine is, that new allroad is hefty and Audi needs to step it up a notch as now they're being left behind by four bangers from BMW, Ford, Hyundai, and just about every other major manufacturer.

There's just no pleasing some of us...

Byron

10. 09-18-2012 11:12 AM #10
      Our test car didn't have it, so I suspect the wheel in our car was the Sport Interior (non S-line US) spec. In Europe the flat-bottom is an option also on the S4/S5 and A4/A5 S-lines. I was told the flat bottom information from an American product planner who accompanied us on that trip. As I understand it, it should be the same flat-bottom wheel that is in the new US-spec MY2013 S4/S5 and A4/A5 S-line but with the S-line badge on the bottom spoke.
      NICE, I just wanted to confirm cause the dealer didn't have any info on it.

11. 09-25-2012 11:05 AM #11
      Nice rundown George. What about the timeline for the Q5 TDI to hit our showrooms here?