Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ever get to drive a car you were excited about, only to be disappointed?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      09-12-2012 10:48 AM #51
      Jetta TDI Wagon. Totally blah driving experience and awfully cramped inside IMO.

TCL led me to believe this was Zeus's Chariot.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-12-2012 10:53 AM #52
      Oh!!

I forgot the CTS-V.

Impressive, but not really fun.

Vehicles
      3.2 VR6 4motion
      09-12-2012 10:59 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Type_RS_59 View Post
      OP, you're sure that rental wasn't a V6 Camaro RS, right?

I drove a brand new 2012 Mustang V6 Convertible from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and back and I was actually really impressed by it. Not worth the same coin as a GTI IMO but fun for a weekend of top down cruising on spring break.
      This was for sure a 400hp V8 SS...and man did the stock exhaust sound great. The photo I took of the steering wheel:

Like I said, it was fast without question...but it just didn't FEEL fast.
      Last edited by helement2003; 09-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      DRZ400sm, CB550four, Mazdaspeed3
      09-12-2012 11:13 AM #54
      1998 Subaru 2.5RS (Yeah, it was quite a few years ago...)

I was just getting my license and my dad took me to test drive one. I still remember thinking "That's it?". It was pretty torquey down low and then it was done.

Vehicles
      B5 Passat Wagon, E36 M3
      09-12-2012 11:15 AM #55

Thought it would be a fun, sporty drive. Slow, boring drive. Cramped interior. At 6'3", the only thing that allowed me to fit was to open the sunroof so I had a recess for my head to go into. I still think its a cool looking car. Just would never want to own one.
      Jack of all trades.

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      09-12-2012 11:17 AM #56
      Here is another one for me. 1st gen Acura TSX auto, looked at these used at one point and overall really liked the car to be honest. The design is timeless and still looks good, the size is perfect for a mid-sized sedan, the interior was just right for the most part. I was thinking the car was going to be a little faster than it was. If I closed my eyes while accelerating I would have thought I was driving a '97 era Accord sedan LX Automatic.

I mean the aggressive nose, rear and stock dual exhaust makes you think your getting into a four-door Type R Integra. Again I would totally buy one for DD usage, but it's missing the thrust when you are trying to cut.

This Gen X-Terra Supercharged...

Test drove one of these when they were new, even drove the N/A version back to back. Honestly I couldn't tell the Supercharger had made a difference, powe still dropped offf a cliff after 3500 RPM. I was driving a 3.4 V6 Tacoma Crew Cab PreRunner and actually felt like it had more power than the S/C X-Terra.

Last edited by Pool Runner; 09-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      09-12-2012 11:44 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by dmonday View Post
      1998 Subaru 2.5RS (Yeah, it was quite a few years ago...)

I was just getting my license and my dad took me to test drive one. I still remember thinking "That's it?". It was pretty torquey down low and then it was done.
      This is a perfect example.

I have a buddy with a WRX swapped one though. Those really perfect the car and make it what it should be.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

09-12-2012 11:44 AM #58
      Mk3 GTI VR6. Totally thought I'd be blown away. Totally disappointed by the lack of...everything.
      Free Patrikman 2015. #letmypeoplego

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-12-2012 11:58 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Lolasaurus_Rex View Post
      08 R32

After driving an 04 R32 I had big expectations for the 08. I knew the DSG transmission would be a different experience, but I didn't know it would be a huge let down. Don't get me wrong, its a fun car to drive through the turns, but how often do you really get to do that? VW should have stayed with a manual gearbox. It was bad enough that that the interior wasn't as unique as the 04 was. Other than the transmission, its a good car. Id rather be manually shifting through the gears in traffic, than have it in D the whole time. Isn't it supposed to be an enhusiast car?

The worst part, I actually own the car. Hah. Maybe a manual swap will change my perspective.
      Exactly, I was sorely disappoint when I heard they were only going to be DSG, and don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic gearbox, I just get bored without rowing my own gears.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      '12 Volt, '14 Cherokee, '02 954 Fireblade
      09-12-2012 12:03 PM #60

I was so excited to drive one of these. Everyone raves about them, but after owning a 3rd gen for a while, I was really disappointed with the feeling of extra weight. Of which is has a significant amount over the Spyder. And really, aside from the turbo-lag induced rush of power, it really didn't feel any quicker in a straight line either.

Sure are pretty though.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-12-2012 12:06 PM #61
      Panamera S.

I've stated my reasons elsewhere, but in brief: It feels huge, and the poor visibility means it's challenging to drive quickly on narrow roads. The engine is fantastic, but the auto start/stop + DCT gearbox make for occasionally awkward step off from a stop, or backing up a slight incline. Mostly, though, the ride over expansion joints on the freeway was unlike anything I've encountered in a Porsche previously--it felt very unsettled, as if it had massive wheels/tires mounted and the suspension couldn't control the unsprung weight.

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      09-12-2012 12:09 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      I came from 2007 GTI chipped/lowered/with a few other bells and whistles on it.

the Speed3 is a hoot to drive. AND faster for less $. Way less $.
      Speed3 feels soft, the power delivery sucks, and so does the springy clutch that seems soft but then gets very stiff by the end... it would make more sense if it was stiff the through out the whole travel but it just feels weird. Steering is not responsive at all, shifter felt very plasticity and not "pop in and out" like my GTI. Idk just a disappointing car that looks like a minivan.

Vehicles
      15 GTI, 71 911T, 94 Ranger XLT
      09-12-2012 12:11 PM #63
      -mkIV GTI 1.8t 180hp when it was new. rubber band power delivery, soggy suspension.
      -my E36 325is was pretty dull in stock form.
      -the 04 or so GTO. I liked Cobalt SS better. The GTO wallowed, felt too big.

14. 09-12-2012 12:12 PM #64
      I was ready to take a bath on my current truck because I loved this color so much. I found one of the only remaining 6 speed sahara tans in the country, and I thought "how bad can the 3.8 be?" Oh man. I actually was laughing hysterically on the test drive. On the freeway, with the hammer down, I felt like I was losing speed. It was the most woefully underpowered thing I had ever driven. The salesperson tried pathetically to remind me jeeps aren't built for speed, but that was truly pathetic. I hear the 3.6 fixed this problem, but man oh man I drove back the 50 miles back home glad to be back in a truck with torque and HP.

I still am in love with this color, though.

Vehicles
      84 GTI/86 4000q/92 VR6T/07 Rabbit/12 GTI/97 F-350
      09-12-2012 12:14 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post

I guess that's why I refuse to drive a 993 Turbo.
      Do it, it's wonderful.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      09-12-2012 12:16 PM #66
      1.8T Jetta

Will probably be bashed for this one, but coming from a Protege, I was expecting more than just raw power. Didn't like the clutch feel, steering feel, gas pedal response, turbo lag, and felt that the interior wasn't as impressive as said my friends with VW's.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      09-12-2012 12:16 PM #67
      I'm most certainly gonna get blasted for this, but...

Admittedly, my distaste for it was in large part due to the SMG.

But years ago I was car shopping, and the E46 M3 was absolutely on my short list. I spent some time looking around for the combo I wanted, found it, and went to drive it. I was giddy the whole way there. Got in it to drive, and basically made a "bleh" face the entire time. Just nothing about it interested me. Way too much hype.

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      09-12-2012 12:21 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Jetta TDI Wagon. Totally blah driving experience and awfully cramped inside IMO.

TCL led me to believe this was Zeus's Chariot.
      Say it ain't so bro!? This is at the very top of my list to purchase before Christmas!

19. 09-12-2012 12:21 PM #69
      91-92 MR2 turbo. Drove two new. Turbo lag, turbo whistle, motor sounded like a dentist's drill, driveline snatch, crap shifter, heavy feel and low on personality. I wish people would stop calling this thing a "baby Ferrari". The first one was a much better car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      09-12-2012 12:21 PM #70
      I'll add one more, though to a MUCH lesser degree

Really the only disappointment I had came from some expectation I had built up in my head that it was going to be just an absolutely ridiculous rocket ship. This was years ago, before 500hp sedans grew on trees, so 450 at the time seemed like an unimaginable number for a car like that.
      I still enjoyed the car, it was more just a sense of reality setting in.

Vehicles
      '98 L36 Regal
      09-12-2012 12:22 PM #71
      997 turbo sans man pedal.

Not scary enough. The speedo moves very quickly, sure, but it's too controlled and too quiet. If I spend that much money on a car, I want it to excite me when I am behind the wheel.

Felt the same thing with a B5 S4 Tiptronic in 2001 but thought maybe 250hp just wasn't enough. Well, the 997 has quite a bit more power and still... not exciting enough.
      "Sometimes wrong is worth the funny." - Billy Gardell

22. 09-12-2012 12:35 PM #72
      Corrado G60 (when new). Really expected to like it, but was let down by nose heavy feel and lack of power.

Evo X (new and modded). Felt significantly more bloated and soft as compared to the Evo 8/9.

MKIV Supra (when new). Felt big, heavy and did I mention big? More of a Corvette/Camaro feel than I was hoping for.

Nissan Leaf (and I own one) - Had so much potential to be a fun, great handling car (batteries in the floor = low COG, 100% of torque down low, etc.) but let down by crap steering, suspension, and tires.l

Smart Fortwo (and I own one). Crappy shifter, crappy handling, and no power. Now a total delight after mods, but it took some tinkering to get it to where I am happy with it.

-- DavidV

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      09-12-2012 12:35 PM #73
      forgot one big one...

when the A3 3.2 Quattro first came out... I drooled.
      basically an R32 in Audi trim right? wrong.
      it's a slug.
      and the tiptronic slushbox was just boring. the car had tons of potential.... but let me down hard.

I tried everything to like it.
      Driving it was nice, when stuck in traffic

If you punched it, it let you down hard.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      09-12-2012 12:37 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      I'm most certainly gonna get blasted for this, but...

(e46 m3 pic)
      Nah, I can kinda agree with you there. The SMG was your first mistake, of course, but beyond that...

It's a great car on the track (I actually got the chance to do a track day in a friend's). On regular roads, it wasn't worth the extra coin. I was considering one, and looked around for one, but I couldn't justify getting an E46 M3 over an E90 335i (or, hell, even an E46 330i). Just driving it around (if you aren't going to be tracking it regularly), it's underwhelming, for sure.
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-12-2012 01:13 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      Just driving it around (if you aren't going to be tracking it regularly), it's underwhelming, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Assle View Post
      997 turbo sans man pedal.

Not scary enough. The speedo moves very quickly, sure, but it's too controlled and too quiet. If I spend that much money on a car, I want it to excite me when I am behind the wheel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast