Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever get to drive a car you were excited about, only to be disappointed?

09-12-2012 08:07 PM #106
      Funny thing is, most of the complaints here come down to 2 things- driving feel and power to weight.

There is a reason I just bought another motorcycle. Cars just can't touch the excitement.

And even more funny.. even though the streetbike I just bought makes 135+hp, it still isn't anywhere near the rush and excitement of a simple cheap dirtbike.

In the spring, I plan on buying some sort of supermoto / dual sport or converted dirtbike to rip around the backroads on.
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      3B 5cyl 20v turbo avant
      09-12-2012 08:18 PM #107
      audi urs4. all the fanboys rave about it, but it felt like a boat to me. not fun. awesome engine though when you put it in a cq or 4kq.

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST, 2014 Fiesta ST
      09-12-2012 08:35 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      X2

Vehicles
      13 Outback SAP / 15 Accord Hybrid
      09-12-2012 08:35 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      -2012 Subaru WRX. I wanted to like it so much more than I did, given how much I loved my FXT. But I found it crude, loud, and lacking quality. Disappointment.
      But you didn't call it slow!

For me, the 350z. I wanted one so badly back in 07. It rode like a brick. Lots of road noise and unpleasant noises coming into the cabin. Didn't feel as quick as it should. Clunky shifter. And worst of all, that glorious exhaust note is nonexistent on the inside.

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      09-12-2012 10:28 PM #110
      Honestly, a 2009/2010 Audi S8 (can't remember). My dad had been borrowing a lightly used one from the dealer for a couple hours, so I was naturally excited to try it out. The V10 simply isn't what you'd expect--the reviews were spot on and it's just too quiet, too polite, to be a performance sedan. You have to try to make it scream for it to even make decent conversation. Of course the interior is gorgeous and I love the looks, but it's not quick enough to justify the premium over the equally sumptuous D3 A8 with its perfectly suited 4.2.

For how much the S8 costs now, I'd take a loaded Jag XJ and run.
      Last edited by S4cabriofox; 09-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      09-13-2012 01:57 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      1) NA Miata: I drove one of these for about 10 miles and I couldn't for the life of me find anything terribly spectacular about the car, other than the shifter. It's was just another small car without a top, in my opinion. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel special from behind the wheel. Now, if I had it on a track or if I really pounded on it on a back road, maybe my impressions of the car would change. As it stands though, I have no real interest in ever acquiring one of these cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      -B5 Audi A4. In stock form...yawn. When modded with an APR Stg3 kit, it was fast--but the chassis couldn't quite keep up (it had H&R coilovers, 17" wheels, etc).
      You're both batsh!t crazy.

I own both. They make unicorn's fly and stripper's named Candy college graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      I dorve one back when they were new and I was happier than a teen girl getting lip gloss
      New, at the time, yes.
      10 years later. NO.
      Too many better options.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      09-13-2012 02:10 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      Odd. I'm still looking for one to use for a daily, after borrowing one for a long distance drive and then passing it up in favor of a rather disappointing 745i turbo.

Wasn't super impressed with the Porsche 928s4 I drove. It was a stick, too. Just.... no drama. Not that exciting. Still a nice car, I suppose.

Edit: 928, not 924.
      it was just very... meh. didnt really do anything especially well and got horrible fuel economy despite its small motor and lack of power.
      and before someone asks, yes it was in great shape engine wise and everything was tuned up properly

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      09-13-2012 02:17 AM #113
      330i zhp. Looks amazing, handles really well, great daily driver.

Non-linear drive by wire accelerator, no torque, too much electronic intervention, no lsd.

Vehicles
      '03 BMW 330i
      09-13-2012 03:05 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      330i zhp. Looks amazing, handles really well, great daily driver.

Non-linear drive by wire accelerator, no torque, too much electronic intervention, no lsd.
      I could've sworn all the ZHPs had lsd standard
      But yes, the go pedal in my e46 makes me look like a noob on occasion.

My contribution:

The power seemed like it was there, but I didn't get a good chance to explore it because the shifter felt like boo-boo, brake pedal was mushy as hell, the clutch was racecar stiff. Besides that, the interior - save for the leather seats - didn't feel like an upgrade from my Protege5.
      Last edited by Slowkums; 09-13-2012 at 03:22 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
      I never understood the mindset of people who spend a boat load of cash on a car and then never drive it. Why bother?
      "Yeah, my girlfriend is super hot, but I never have sex with her because I want her to be in good condition for her next boyfriend."
      Quote Originally Posted by DubheadFred View Post
      If ignorance is bliss, this thread is Caligulaic ecstasy.

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      09-13-2012 03:14 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Slowkums View Post
      I could've sworn all the ZHPs had lsd standard
      But yes, the go pedal in my e46 makes me look like a noob on occasion.
      Nope. Only ///m will get you the lsd nowadays.

11. 09-13-2012 04:34 AM #116
      Disappointment: 02 wrx wagon - Not impressive in handling or performance, in stock form.

In response to the e46 m3 hate, I will have to say it's probably because of the smg. I drove a manual cab and it kicked ass, instant power, revs high, beautiful balance and handling. I cant say anything bad about it.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      09-13-2012 05:00 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by schwank View Post
      I also drove a diesel Mk3 Golf on the 'Ring.
      Mk3 wagon. Eight laps total. What an experience.......

Biggest disappointment was the B5.5 TDI wagon over here in Germany. I hated that thing. the ratty Golf is far more fulfilling.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-13-2012 05:06 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Biggest disappointment was the B5.5 TDI wagon over here in Germany. I hated that thing. the ratty Golf is far more fulfilling.
      But you also had one of the smallest engines in it, didn't you? (It's a pretty heavy car that needs at least ~130-140hp to get out of its way.)
      Aung San Suu Kyi

14. 09-13-2012 05:35 AM #119
      335i. fast but boooooring. extremely sanitized and barren experience, like driving a hospital operating room.

15. 09-13-2012 06:22 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      I have yet to go test drive one because I don't like the current color lineup that comes with the new engine. Sahara tan was cancelled after 2 years, and taking its place were construction-zone-orange, a bizarre yellow, and now a green that's brighter than the sun. Just hideous and gaudy colors I can't live with.
      You should have driven a 2012, it is a whole different animal. Friend bought one in the Sahara tan and it is beautiful, it is the original US Navy color that Jeep used. Definitely has the power it needed too.

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      09-13-2012 06:53 AM #121
      My '00 Mustang GT.

I always wanted one, even though I had never driven one. Funny enough my car was the first one I actually drove. Coming from my silky smooth, quiet, yet relatively quick 2001 Nissan Maxima 5-speed, I was very dissapointed with the Mustang when I drove it. The shifter was notchy and difficult, the car was extremely noisy, there was a lot of body roll on the eibach/stock strut setup, and it didn't really feel all that quick. I ended up buying it anyways, just because I wanted something right then. Oh well it has grown on me now with the right mods.

'99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

17. 09-13-2012 11:05 AM #122
      I got to drive a mid-70's Pantera once back in the late 90's. I was so excited. What's not to like about a mid-engine 351? Well, apparently the designer was 5' tall. I couldn't fit into the stupid thing. It had a ton of torque and handled pretty well but that really didn't matter since I was practically lying down while driving.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-13-2012 11:24 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post

I expected this to be a lot of fun. The test drive lasted exactly 4 blocks. I punched it around a turn, and even at 4,000 RPM in 2nd gear it had no balls. So I brought it back to the dealership. I guess it doesn't fit my driving style.
      AT 4,000rpm that engine is still cruising.

If you're not exploring the range from 6k to 8k in a VTEC Honda, it will feel slow and gutless.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      09-13-2012 01:28 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by bwk View Post
      Disappointment: 02 wrx wagon - Not impressive in handling or performance, in stock form.

In response to the e46 m3 hate, I will have to say it's probably because of the smg. I drove a manual cab and it kicked ass, instant power, revs high, beautiful balance and handling. I cant say anything bad about it.
      I also have a feeling SMG might have something to do with it. Don't really want to blow up this thread but it was one of my dream cars in high school, now I DD mine spring, summer and fall and it always makes me smile. Just get it above 5,000 RPM where it belongs. Granted, it's not impressive putting around town on errands but on twisty back roads, perfect balance and a handshaker it's tons of fun, IMO.

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      09-17-2012 06:26 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I also have a feeling SMG might have something to do with it. Don't really want to blow up this thread but it was one of my dream cars in high school, now I DD mine spring, summer and fall and it always makes me smile. Just get it above 5,000 RPM where it belongs. Granted, it's not impressive putting around town on errands but on twisty back roads, perfect balance and a handshaker it's tons of fun, IMO.
      I know the car I posted here was entirely due to the SMG, the new dual clutch system in BMWs is so much better.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      09-17-2012 06:58 AM #126
      i've driven every generation of the Golf that has had the R moniker. the 2008 R32 was fairly boring compared to the 2004, and i was hoping the 2012 would bring back the feelings i had for the 2004 R model. in one word: nope.

it may be a good car with a decent chassis, but i felt as if it needed a bump in power. if it came from the factory with the power bump an aftermarket chip adds, then it could have really interested me. i just wasn't as impressed as i wanted to be and i felt let down. however, if i had the chance to drive one on the track in anger, i may have a completely different opinion.

welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-17-2012 08:56 AM #127
      ^ To the comment about going to the track. Nope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uDzeDP1eo
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

Lloyd Banks

23. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      09-17-2012 09:07 AM #128
      Porsche 944. It just wasn't quick enough to entertain me. (on the flip side I love the 951 and 968)

Mazda Miata. I didn't fit in it and again just not quick enough.

Audi B6 S4. Wow, what a boring car.

24. 09-17-2012 09:14 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by case m View Post
      audi urs4. all the fanboys rave about it, but it felt like a boat to me. not fun. awesome engine though when you put it in a cq or 4kq.
      For some reason Audi never saw fit to give us turbos in anything small after the Ur-Quattro or before the B5 A4. I guess you've noticed that all the Ur-S4 and Ur-S6 guys do big brake kits? Any good boat needs anchors after all.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      09-17-2012 01:40 PM #130
      Here's another one....

Too small. Too cramped.

I always wanted one...With my stature, it's impossible.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 X3
      09-17-2012 01:53 PM #131
      2007 Porsche 911. It was a little soft and not as exciting as I thought it would be. It really felt like a sporty GT and not the sports car I thought it was. I guess reviewers have said this about the base Carrera for a while, so I suppose they're right, you need a C2S (or a GT3?) to get a sports car feeling in a 911 these days. I still want a 911 or, more likely, a Cayman.

1991 Acura NSX. It was an amazing drive and an amazing car with sublime handling. I still love them. The only thing that disappointed me was the power. My brother always had hot rodded '60s Mustangs with big engines that I'd driven, and I expected the same shove in the back when I dipped into the throttle of the NSX. It wasn't there.

27. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      09-17-2012 01:55 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      Here's another one....

Too small. Too cramped.

I always wanted one...With my stature, it's impossible.
      im surprised. i found the interior to be very similar in space to my e class (i didnt sit in the back seat though).
      its not american SUV big, but its plenty large for a decent sized car.

how big are you?

Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      09-17-2012 02:20 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      AT 4,000rpm that engine is still cruising.

If you're not exploring the range from 6k to 8k in a VTEC Honda, it will feel slow and gutless.
      I test drove an 06 RSX S and I think I know what you mean, i'm sure whith some modding it might be a different experience.
      VRSociety #293

29. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      09-17-2012 02:25 PM #134
      RX8- Engine was a let down, and it was really nervous over the pock marked roads I was driving on. My friends stock S13 was more composed.

Bugeye WRX- Terrible shifter, blah steering, awful turbo lag, and relentless understeer unless you really monkeyed the thing around.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

30. 09-17-2012 02:32 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      RX8- Engine was a let down, and it was really nervous over the pock marked roads I was driving on. My friends stock S13 was more composed.

Bugeye WRX- Terrible shifter, blah steering, awful turbo lag, and relentless understeer unless you really monkeyed the thing around.
      The S13 has one of the worst motors ever. And composure on rough roads is one of the 8s strong suits.

And the 02-03 WRx has a good shifter. Its the 08-up that are garbage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

31. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      09-17-2012 02:37 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      The S13 has one of the worst motors ever. And composure on rough roads is one of the 8s strong suits.

And the 02-03 WRx has a good shifter. Its the 08-up that are garbage.
      Well that set me straight then. I'll be sure to buy them now.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      03Jetta. 02 Dodge 4x4
      09-17-2012 02:52 PM #137
      The first year the CRX came out. '84? Test drove one and was like this is what road and track seemed to rave about. Didn't feel fast or handle better than my '74 Capri

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E93 328i 6MT, '12 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      09-17-2012 03:18 PM #138
      G37S coupe - clutch was a let down, very sensitive.

TT - no manual was disappointing. DSG =/= manual.

370Z - I liked the car, but was too harsh to be my daily in DC.

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      09-17-2012 03:27 PM #139
      350Z.

It was between the S2000, C5 Hardtop, and 350Z for my next car. I test drove the Z and it just didn't have any sort of character to me. This the one was before the HR. I think the power delivery was too linear. Didn't really handle like I was expecting either.

Didn't get to drive the S2000(probably would've been too slow anyways) and bought the C5 a few months later.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      09-17-2012 03:43 PM #140
      I've been a VW/Audi (meaning the front wheels were driven at least part of the time) guy nearly my whole driving life so when my wife bought a 2001 BMW I was excited to try it out. Now it is only a 325 convertible so I wasn't expecting neck snapping acceleration but I thought the driving dynamics would be more awe inspiring. Maybe it's just the convertibleness of it that cuts it down but I was kind of meh with it.

Add to that the dated gauges and dash and I'd much rather drive my battle wagon allroad of nearly the same vintage.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast