Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Results 126 to 150 of 164

    Thread: Ever get to drive a car you were excited about, only to be disappointed?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      13,393
      Vehicles
      E36, R32, S4
      09-17-2012 06:58 AM #126
      i've driven every generation of the Golf that has had the R moniker. the 2008 R32 was fairly boring compared to the 2004, and i was hoping the 2012 would bring back the feelings i had for the 2004 R model. in one word: nope.

      it may be a good car with a decent chassis, but i felt as if it needed a bump in power. if it came from the factory with the power bump an aftermarket chip adds, then it could have really interested me. i just wasn't as impressed as i wanted to be and i felt let down. however, if i had the chance to drive one on the track in anger, i may have a completely different opinion.

      welcome to the layer cake

    2. Member volkstyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Posts
      1,542
      Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-17-2012 08:56 AM #127
      ^ To the comment about going to the track. Nope!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uDzeDP1eo
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

      Lloyd Banks

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 14th, 2001
      Location
      LB NY
      Posts
      15,997
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 96 Lexus LX450
      09-17-2012 09:07 AM #128
      Porsche 944. It just wasn't quick enough to entertain me. (on the flip side I love the 951 and 968)

      Mazda Miata. I didn't fit in it and again just not quick enough.

      Audi B6 S4. Wow, what a boring car.

    4. 09-17-2012 09:14 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by case m View Post
      audi urs4. all the fanboys rave about it, but it felt like a boat to me. not fun. awesome engine though when you put it in a cq or 4kq.
      For some reason Audi never saw fit to give us turbos in anything small after the Ur-Quattro or before the B5 A4. I guess you've noticed that all the Ur-S4 and Ur-S6 guys do big brake kits? Any good boat needs anchors after all.
      call it potatography

    5. Member MRVW00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2000
      Location
      Everywhere you want to be.
      Posts
      9,694
      Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      09-17-2012 01:40 PM #130
      Here's another one....


      Too small. Too cramped.

      I always wanted one...With my stature, it's impossible.
      RIP Cosmic TDI

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2000
      Location
      Philadelphia, PA
      Posts
      6,550
      Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 X3
      09-17-2012 01:53 PM #131
      2007 Porsche 911. It was a little soft and not as exciting as I thought it would be. It really felt like a sporty GT and not the sports car I thought it was. I guess reviewers have said this about the base Carrera for a while, so I suppose they're right, you need a C2S (or a GT3?) to get a sports car feeling in a 911 these days. I still want a 911 or, more likely, a Cayman.

      1991 Acura NSX. It was an amazing drive and an amazing car with sublime handling. I still love them. The only thing that disappointed me was the power. My brother always had hot rodded '60s Mustangs with big engines that I'd driven, and I expected the same shove in the back when I dipped into the throttle of the NSX. It wasn't there.

    7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      the barrio
      Posts
      37,584
      Vehicles
      trophy wife convertible, old british things
      09-17-2012 01:55 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      Here's another one....


      Too small. Too cramped.

      I always wanted one...With my stature, it's impossible.
      im surprised. i found the interior to be very similar in space to my e class (i didnt sit in the back seat though).
      its not american SUV big, but its plenty large for a decent sized car.

      how big are you?

    8. Member VR6 GLX Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2008
      Location
      El Centro, CA
      Posts
      1,637
      Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      09-17-2012 02:20 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      AT 4,000rpm that engine is still cruising.

      If you're not exploring the range from 6k to 8k in a VTEC Honda, it will feel slow and gutless.
      I test drove an 06 RSX S and I think I know what you mean, i'm sure whith some modding it might be a different experience.
      VRSociety #293

    9. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      Redwood City, CA
      Posts
      9,596
      Vehicles
      MkVII GTI, E9
      09-17-2012 02:25 PM #134
      RX8- Engine was a let down, and it was really nervous over the pock marked roads I was driving on. My friends stock S13 was more composed.

      Bugeye WRX- Terrible shifter, blah steering, awful turbo lag, and relentless understeer unless you really monkeyed the thing around.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      My 2800CS #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

    10. 09-17-2012 02:32 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      RX8- Engine was a let down, and it was really nervous over the pock marked roads I was driving on. My friends stock S13 was more composed.

      Bugeye WRX- Terrible shifter, blah steering, awful turbo lag, and relentless understeer unless you really monkeyed the thing around.
      The S13 has one of the worst motors ever. And composure on rough roads is one of the 8s strong suits.

      And the 02-03 WRx has a good shifter. Its the 08-up that are garbage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

    11. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      Redwood City, CA
      Posts
      9,596
      Vehicles
      MkVII GTI, E9
      09-17-2012 02:37 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      The S13 has one of the worst motors ever. And composure on rough roads is one of the 8s strong suits.

      And the 02-03 WRx has a good shifter. Its the 08-up that are garbage.
      Well that set me straight then. I'll be sure to buy them now.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      My 2800CS #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      293
      Vehicles
      03Jetta. 02 Dodge 4x4
      09-17-2012 02:52 PM #137
      The first year the CRX came out. '84? Test drove one and was like this is what road and track seemed to rave about. Didn't feel fast or handle better than my '74 Capri

    13. Member 10minutes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 9th, 2011
      Location
      Mclean, Virginia
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      '11 BMW E93 328i 6MT, '12 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      09-17-2012 03:18 PM #138
      G37S coupe - clutch was a let down, very sensitive.

      TT - no manual was disappointing. DSG =/= manual.

      370Z - I liked the car, but was too harsh to be my daily in DC.

    14. Senior Member JustinCSVT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      20,733
      Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      09-17-2012 03:27 PM #139
      350Z.

      It was between the S2000, C5 Hardtop, and 350Z for my next car. I test drove the Z and it just didn't have any sort of character to me. This the one was before the HR. I think the power delivery was too linear. Didn't really handle like I was expecting either.

      Didn't get to drive the S2000(probably would've been too slow anyways) and bought the C5 a few months later.

    15. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      5,804
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      09-17-2012 03:43 PM #140
      I've been a VW/Audi (meaning the front wheels were driven at least part of the time) guy nearly my whole driving life so when my wife bought a 2001 BMW I was excited to try it out. Now it is only a 325 convertible so I wasn't expecting neck snapping acceleration but I thought the driving dynamics would be more awe inspiring. Maybe it's just the convertibleness of it that cuts it down but I was kind of meh with it.

      Add to that the dated gauges and dash and I'd much rather drive my battle wagon allroad of nearly the same vintage.

    16. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      9,616
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-17-2012 03:48 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 GLX Man View Post
      I test drove an 06 RSX S and I think I know what you mean, i'm sure whith some modding it might be a different experience.
      Yeah. People reflash the car and play w/the VTEC engagement point.

      But, it apes the old sports-car experience (gotta keep it on boil). That's part of what enables them to get such good mileage/dependability out of those motors even when they can rev to 8k.

    17. Member TM87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2008
      Location
      Windsor CT
      Posts
      11,822
      Vehicles
      VW
      09-17-2012 03:50 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      No BRZ yet?
      They r still in the shop getting repaired.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

    18. 09-17-2012 04:04 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      350Z.

      It was between the S2000, C5 Hardtop, and 350Z for my next car. I test drove the Z and it just didn't have any sort of character to me. This the one was before the HR. I think the power delivery was too linear. Didn't really handle like I was expecting either.

      Didn't get to drive the S2000(probably would've been too slow anyways) and bought the C5 a few months later.
      You nailed most of it. The Z has plenty of character--especially for a japanese car-- but the linear delivery, poor sounding motor and understeer ruined it for me, along with the bathtub seating/ cheap cockpit..and the ass end of the car is just hideous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

    19. Geriatric Member ByronLLN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      38,454
      Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      09-17-2012 04:21 PM #144
      Genesis 5.0 R-Spec
      Golf R
      MkV GTI
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

    20. 09-17-2012 04:35 PM #145
      '07 Acura TL (last of the pre-ugly years).

      I'm a wuss compared to a lot of the posters here -- I like sports sedans that also ride comfortably. I thought the TL was one of the sportiest-looking sedans I'd ever seen. Loved the interior, the numbers were all there. I'd also driven one on a parking-lot pylon course at one of those GM traveling shows, and was very impressed with its direct steering and freedom from body roll.

      But when I took it on an ordinary test drive on suburban streets, the seat felt like I was sitting on it at about 8 widely distributed points, not in it, and the ride was excruciatingly firm for a DD. That was also when Honda had done the MMC on the Accords that gave the V6 model 17" wheels. I test drove the Accord and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it conveyed every expansion strip. When I drove the TL, it felt like I could feel every pebble in the asphalt. It felt like a car that would grind me down to a nub inside 20 minutes.

      Interestingly, I recently drove the current TL. I almost crashed several times because I couldn't bear to look at any part of it, but it seemed to ride a little better (perhaps because it's bigger).

    21. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      9,616
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-17-2012 04:44 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by tonycd View Post
      '07 Acura TL (last of the pre-ugly years).

      I'm a wuss compared to a lot of the posters here -- I like sports sedans that also ride comfortably. I thought the TL was one of the sportiest-looking sedans I'd ever seen. Loved the interior, the numbers were all there. I'd also driven one on a parking-lot pylon course at one of those GM traveling shows, and was very impressed with its direct steering and freedom from body roll.

      But when I took it on an ordinary test drive on suburban streets, the seat felt like I was sitting on it at about 8 widely distributed points, not in it, and the ride was excruciatingly firm for a DD. That was also when Honda had done the MMC on the Accords that gave the V6 model 17" wheels. I test drove the Accord and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it conveyed every expansion strip. When I drove the TL, it felt like I could feel every pebble in the asphalt. It felt like a car that would grind me down to a nub inside 20 minutes.

      Interestingly, I recently drove the current TL. I almost crashed several times because I couldn't bear to look at any part of it, but it seemed to ride a little better (perhaps because it's bigger).
      Lucky for you Toyota made a ton of Lexus ES models over the years.

      @Byron--what didn't you like about Golf R? I ended up liking it a lot, and I'm not what you might call a VW fan.

    22. Member MRVW00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2000
      Location
      Everywhere you want to be.
      Posts
      9,694
      Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      09-18-2012 03:09 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      im surprised. i found the interior to be very similar in space to my e class (i didnt sit in the back seat though).
      its not american SUV big, but its plenty large for a decent sized car.

      how big are you?
      It's the tall boxy size and a cramped 2nd row with a terrible "3rd row".

      I'm 6'2", 228, 48" chest, 32" inseam. With my long torso, I fit terrible in many cars. You should see me in my B5
      RIP Cosmic TDI

    23. 09-18-2012 05:12 AM #148
      I get the opportunity to drive a lot of cars [for more than 5 city blocks, mostly at late night/early morning when the streets are empty], from lame rentals to exotics. I'm not sure which was my most recent let down, i'll have to report back later once I remember, but just to leave a note here...

      2012 Mini Coop...Countryman All4.

      I thought these things would be a big step up from the previous gen Coopers....but the interior feels the same way, cheap and hard-plastic-y. It doesn't feel good at all to me, maybe i'm spoiled from the other cars i've driven, but I really really didn't want the new Mini's to have that cheap feeling...especially since it's a bigger version...doesn't really feel that much roomier iirc.
      Sega|Saturn

    24. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      9,616
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-18-2012 03:36 PM #149
      I hate to do this...but I just picked up an FR-S press car, and I am thinking about adding it to the list.

      I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to appreciate it fully outside of an autocross, and that it only costs $25k and gets 30+ MPG without trying...but it's falling a little short of what I expected.

      Maybe driving it in the same 2-week span as Panamera GTS and M6 isn't helping. lol

    25. Member helement2003's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2004
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      6,295
      Vehicles
      3.2 VR6 4motion
      10-02-2012 07:17 PM #150
      Thread bump with a new experience. The 2012 Kia Optima.

      Had one for a week just a couple weeks ago. Granted, this was a completely base rental model...but I was still a bit excited. They're good looking cars (IMO), and I wanted to see how Kia had done.

      The good:
      -200hp GDI base engine with the 6 speed auto worked quite well. Plenty of power to pull the car around, and felt peppy while doing it. Always seemed to find the right gear.
      -ECO mode was actually decent! It kept the shift points lower and made you apply more throttle before downshifting. I only found it a bit "meh" at slower speeds...when it REALLY wanted to hold 6th gear unless you gave it a LOT of throttle.
      -Exterior design (IMO).
      -Interior design (IMO).
      -Suspension setup seemed decent for a car of this type as well. Found it compliant enough, but still fairly firm feeling.

      The bad:
      -Interior material quality. While everything looked nice, there was quite a bit of hard plastic, and the switches/knobs felt very cheap in their actions. I know, I know, VW dash stroker, right? Well, My 2009 Chevy Malibu work car seems better.
      -The weird display in the gauge cluster. The only picture I took of it is below, but the center display juts out a bit awkwardly from the rest of the gauges.

      The deal breaker:
      -The front seats...I could not get them adjusted in any way, shape, or form to make me feel "just right" in the seat. I could get them close and acceptable, but not perfect. I can't put my finger on what was wrong, either.

      My photo...where you can sort of tell it just out (look at the km/h markings):


      All the press photos are good at hiding it's awkwardness:

    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •