Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ever get to drive a car you were excited about, only to be disappointed?

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-17-2012 03:48 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 GLX Man View Post
      I test drove an 06 RSX S and I think I know what you mean, i'm sure whith some modding it might be a different experience.
      Yeah. People reflash the car and play w/the VTEC engagement point.

But, it apes the old sports-car experience (gotta keep it on boil). That's part of what enables them to get such good mileage/dependability out of those motors even when they can rev to 8k.

Vehicles
      VW
      09-17-2012 03:50 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      No BRZ yet?
      They r still in the shop getting repaired.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

3. 09-17-2012 04:04 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      350Z.

It was between the S2000, C5 Hardtop, and 350Z for my next car. I test drove the Z and it just didn't have any sort of character to me. This the one was before the HR. I think the power delivery was too linear. Didn't really handle like I was expecting either.

Didn't get to drive the S2000(probably would've been too slow anyways) and bought the C5 a few months later.
      You nailed most of it. The Z has plenty of character--especially for a japanese car-- but the linear delivery, poor sounding motor and understeer ruined it for me, along with the bathtub seating/ cheap cockpit..and the ass end of the car is just hideous.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      09-17-2012 04:21 PM #144
      Genesis 5.0 R-Spec
      Golf R
      MkV GTI
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

5. 09-17-2012 04:35 PM #145
      '07 Acura TL (last of the pre-ugly years).

I'm a wuss compared to a lot of the posters here -- I like sports sedans that also ride comfortably. I thought the TL was one of the sportiest-looking sedans I'd ever seen. Loved the interior, the numbers were all there. I'd also driven one on a parking-lot pylon course at one of those GM traveling shows, and was very impressed with its direct steering and freedom from body roll.

But when I took it on an ordinary test drive on suburban streets, the seat felt like I was sitting on it at about 8 widely distributed points, not in it, and the ride was excruciatingly firm for a DD. That was also when Honda had done the MMC on the Accords that gave the V6 model 17" wheels. I test drove the Accord and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it conveyed every expansion strip. When I drove the TL, it felt like I could feel every pebble in the asphalt. It felt like a car that would grind me down to a nub inside 20 minutes.

Interestingly, I recently drove the current TL. I almost crashed several times because I couldn't bear to look at any part of it, but it seemed to ride a little better (perhaps because it's bigger).

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 04:44 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by tonycd View Post
      '07 Acura TL (last of the pre-ugly years).

I'm a wuss compared to a lot of the posters here -- I like sports sedans that also ride comfortably. I thought the TL was one of the sportiest-looking sedans I'd ever seen. Loved the interior, the numbers were all there. I'd also driven one on a parking-lot pylon course at one of those GM traveling shows, and was very impressed with its direct steering and freedom from body roll.

But when I took it on an ordinary test drive on suburban streets, the seat felt like I was sitting on it at about 8 widely distributed points, not in it, and the ride was excruciatingly firm for a DD. That was also when Honda had done the MMC on the Accords that gave the V6 model 17" wheels. I test drove the Accord and was unpleasantly surprised to find that it conveyed every expansion strip. When I drove the TL, it felt like I could feel every pebble in the asphalt. It felt like a car that would grind me down to a nub inside 20 minutes.

Interestingly, I recently drove the current TL. I almost crashed several times because I couldn't bear to look at any part of it, but it seemed to ride a little better (perhaps because it's bigger).
      Lucky for you Toyota made a ton of Lexus ES models over the years.

@Byron--what didn't you like about Golf R? I ended up liking it a lot, and I'm not what you might call a VW fan.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      09-18-2012 03:09 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      im surprised. i found the interior to be very similar in space to my e class (i didnt sit in the back seat though).
      its not american SUV big, but its plenty large for a decent sized car.

how big are you?
      It's the tall boxy size and a cramped 2nd row with a terrible "3rd row".

I'm 6'2", 228, 48" chest, 32" inseam. With my long torso, I fit terrible in many cars. You should see me in my B5
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

8. 09-18-2012 05:12 AM #148
      I get the opportunity to drive a lot of cars [for more than 5 city blocks, mostly at late night/early morning when the streets are empty], from lame rentals to exotics. I'm not sure which was my most recent let down, i'll have to report back later once I remember, but just to leave a note here...

2012 Mini Coop...Countryman All4.

I thought these things would be a big step up from the previous gen Coopers....but the interior feels the same way, cheap and hard-plastic-y. It doesn't feel good at all to me, maybe i'm spoiled from the other cars i've driven, but I really really didn't want the new Mini's to have that cheap feeling...especially since it's a bigger version...doesn't really feel that much roomier iirc.
      Sega|Saturn

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 03:36 PM #149
      I hate to do this...but I just picked up an FR-S press car, and I am thinking about adding it to the list.

I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to appreciate it fully outside of an autocross, and that it only costs $25k and gets 30+ MPG without trying...but it's falling a little short of what I expected.

Maybe driving it in the same 2-week span as Panamera GTS and M6 isn't helping. lol

10-02-2012 07:17 PM #150
      Thread bump with a new experience. The 2012 Kia Optima.

Had one for a week just a couple weeks ago. Granted, this was a completely base rental model...but I was still a bit excited. They're good looking cars (IMO), and I wanted to see how Kia had done.

The good:
      -200hp GDI base engine with the 6 speed auto worked quite well. Plenty of power to pull the car around, and felt peppy while doing it. Always seemed to find the right gear.
      -ECO mode was actually decent! It kept the shift points lower and made you apply more throttle before downshifting. I only found it a bit "meh" at slower speeds...when it REALLY wanted to hold 6th gear unless you gave it a LOT of throttle.
      -Exterior design (IMO).
      -Interior design (IMO).
      -Suspension setup seemed decent for a car of this type as well. Found it compliant enough, but still fairly firm feeling.

The bad:
      -Interior material quality. While everything looked nice, there was quite a bit of hard plastic, and the switches/knobs felt very cheap in their actions. I know, I know, VW dash stroker, right? Well, My 2009 Chevy Malibu work car seems better.
      -The weird display in the gauge cluster. The only picture I took of it is below, but the center display juts out a bit awkwardly from the rest of the gauges.

The deal breaker:
      -The front seats...I could not get them adjusted in any way, shape, or form to make me feel "just right" in the seat. I could get them close and acceptable, but not perfect. I can't put my finger on what was wrong, either.

My photo...where you can sort of tell it just out (look at the km/h markings):

All the press photos are good at hiding it's awkwardness:

10-03-2012 02:39 PM #151
      Jaguar. It was a new model that’s all I know. I thought it would be neat to breathe the rarified air within a motor vehicle of such heritage and grace.

It was nothing of the sort. Cheap looking interior and horrible ride quality. I wanted to return the car ASAP to avoid being potentially accused to doing something to the car. It felt like a bad British imitation of a Ford Taurus.

Yup.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-03-2012 02:50 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      It felt like a bad British imitation of a Ford Taurus.

Yup.
      If it was an X-type, that is basically what it is (well, a Mondeo, not a Taurus).

Vehicles
      2002 Volkswagen Golf IV 1.6 16V / 1994 Volkswagen Golf III GTI 2.0 16V
      10-03-2012 03:25 PM #153

Volkswagen Pheaton 6.0 W12

When i drove the car, i expected to drive a cannon..
      To tell the truth i was very disappoint.. I had the feeling that a Touareg V10 would kick his ass..
      Even a MKIV R32 felt more powerful..

I thought VW could do better..
      *** Jeff Edison -- Golf IV 1.6 16V Sportline -- Golf III GTI 2.0 16V -- The Netherlands -- www.VW-CLUB.nl ***

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      10-03-2012 03:57 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      RX8- Engine was a let down, and it was really nervous over the pock marked roads I was driving on. My friends stock S13 was more composed.
      I only noticed this after I replaced the factory Bridgestones with summer only tires. It got worse as the shocks went bad around 80 or 90K.

I miss how my RX8 rode when brand new. The car has a fantastic ride/performance balance. I'm looking forward to swapping out my summers (Ecsta XS) for winters (Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60), and turning my Koni's to full soft. As is, the car rides too harshly, rides too loudly, and is prone to bump steer. To all future RX8 owners - LEAVE IT STOCK! And replace with stock parts!

edit:

the car that disappointed me the most was a 2001 Camaro Z28 SS. Always dreamed of owning one. Quickly forgot about it after the test drive.
      be brave and be kind.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      10-03-2012 04:00 PM #155
      I test-drove a WRB/gold 2006 STi (hawkeye FTW) before my TT. I had lusted after one for yeeeeears, I'm talking PS1 Gran Turismo and ancient Sport Compact Car years. I finally go out, and its very fast and brakes like a beast and turns well aside from the actual turning circle, but the whole thing reeked of econobox (abuse?) and felt like it was going to fall apart. Closing the door made the sound of dry leaves and cardboard, everything had "mass-production look," and I knew the upkeep of MPG, tires, and insurance would kill me for the price ($31k). I had also planned to try a MS3 and a G35 but my TT got in the way.

In retrospect I should have checked out a peanuteye, but instead went to an Audi dealer and saw my TT. I test-drove a Dolphin Gray 3.2 with the original DSG and loved it, but the price was worse because of badge/mileage, and I couldn't pass up my special-order color, I have 1 of ~4 Nogaro Blue TTs in the US. To this day I'm positive I made the right choice, out of the box the TTq can't compete but I never intended to keep it stock, and aside from bad coilpacks 80s ago nothing has really broken or gone wrong, and the whole car is quite solid. I know the Scooby is a different bracket of car than the Audi, but it most certainly would have been more expensive, more trouble, and more needy, and I couldn't accept that in a daily driver, and the whole car gave a different vibe than expected. Liked it a lot, not right for me...
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 10-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Torque is how many crubs and briks you can sled into. Horsepower is how fast you can sled into them, multiplied by how load your cam knock is.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-03-2012 04:01 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by marko.f View Post
      Work at a car rental company and have a bunch of cars that i get to drive. A lot of the new cars are disappointing, but the biggest one by far is the Mitsubishi Lancer

the interior felt super cheap, it was incredibly slow, and handled like crap
      I had two experiences with the Lancer, both very different.

I test drove a 2008 GTS manual and it was awesome, loved basically everything about it. But then I put that plan on the back-burner as we decided to buy another house and move.

Fast forward to 2010 and we test drove a brand new Lancer base with the CVT because my girlfriend needed a new daily. Absolutely garbage. The transmission was awful, the suspension was terrible.

I know you pay more for a higher option package on the car but i've never seen such a night and day difference on the same car.

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      10-03-2012 04:22 PM #157

The best thing about this was the full Magnaflow exhaust.
      It just wasn't the beast I expected. Yeah it was fast, but not that kick you in the a$$ and slap yo mama type of fast I expected out of a 6.1L Hemi with intake, exhaust and reflash. The shifter felt ok, but clutch engagement had me almost stall it almost every time I took off. Handling was GT car (what I expected from reviews), and braking was decent.

For 35K, my money would go to a Golf R. Feels quicker on regular roads, better road feel, and way more passenger room.

Vehicles
      13' Genesis Coupe
      10-08-2012 08:16 PM #158
      As someone pointed out earlier, Hyundai Veloster...

I drove one on Saturday - and I was really disappointed.. that gearbox blows the big pickle.. I was unhappy.
      Something something darkside..

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Rav4 V6, '13 TL SH-AWD
      10-08-2012 09:44 PM #159
      I agree with the MS3. I test drove one for a buddy and being a MS6 driver, I basically had a back to back comparison. The MS3 which I would have expected to pull much harder than my car, just did not. Im not talking from a launch, but from a roll, in the car's powerband, it just didn't feel as though it pulled as hard as my car. As an aside, mine is not stock, but its also not any more modified than bolt ons which I doubt could have made that substantial of a difference.

Vehicles
      997TT, F80 M3
      10-08-2012 10:10 PM #160

Call me a troll all you want.

My cousin bought a mint one a few years back. After all the hype on here, I was excited to check it out. Highly disappointed. I think 993 people are Saab folks in disguise. The quirkiness was not endearing. It didn't sound good, accelerate with much vigor, feel particularly fun to toss around, or really do anything more than "meh" the whole time I put it through its paces. An 01 Boxster S is a much more rewarding car to drive in every way.
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: Arctic Silver / Sea Blue. AWE exhaust, Cobb Stage 2, GT2RS Intercoolers, H&R, BBS CH-R in widebody fitment.
      '15 F80 M3 6MT: Alpine White / Sakhir: Exec pkg, LEDs, carbon roof, Harman Kardon, black 19s, etc
      Past: 300 hp B5 A4, 500 hp Evo 8, 2 450 hp E92 335s, 520hp C6 Z06, and a 750 hp CBA GT-R

Vehicles
      '11 Edge, '03 RS6
      10-08-2012 10:11 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      I'll add one more, though to a MUCH lesser degree

Really the only disappointment I had came from some expectation I had built up in my head that it was going to be just an absolutely ridiculous rocket ship. This was years ago, before 500hp sedans grew on trees, so 450 at the time seemed like an unimaginable number for a car like that.
      I still enjoyed the car, it was more just a sense of reality setting in.
      I have to agree with you to some degree. Although extremely impressive for an almost 10yr old sedan, I expected a little more from a vehicle with an original sticker price of almost $90k. The stock DRC suspension, although a neat idea, never really functioned as intended and whoever at Audi approved and pushed for an automatic slushbox as the only option in this car should have been fired... and then shot.

However, the suspension is easily fixed with coilovers or even just a cup kit. And I am (un)-patiently waiting for the transmission to die so I can swap in a 6sp manual. After those two things are completed (and I add a software tune for 500+ hp) this will be the ultimate vehicle!

edit: link
      Last edited by vdubdave; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      10-08-2012 10:17 PM #162
      Driving a stock Golf R was incredibly boring, and disappointing.

/CSB

The MS3 was terrible to me as well. I had never sat in one before driving it, it felt cheap, plasticky, the doors closed without a commanding thud, and the thing torque steered like a bastard. I sometimes wondered why the GTI remained competitive with a large power deficit, and now I know.
      Last edited by rconn14; 10-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-09-2012 12:25 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      The MS3 was terrible to me as well. I had never sat in one before driving it, it felt cheap, plasticky, the doors closed without a commanding thud, and the thing torque steered like a bastard. I sometimes wondered why the GTI remained competitive with a large power deficit, and now I know.
      Once I sat in the MS3 i figured out the same thing. The GTI isn't a luxury car by any means, but damn the newer MS3's are cheap on the inside. That red material on the seats and door panels was really gross; totally turned me off to the car.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      10-09-2012 12:54 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post

Call me a troll all you want.

My cousin bought a mint one a few years back. After all the hype on here, I was excited to check it out. Highly disappointed. I think 993 people are Saab folks in disguise. The quirkiness was not endearing. It didn't sound good, accelerate with much vigor, feel particularly fun to toss around, or really do anything more than "meh" the whole time I put it through its paces. An 01 Boxster S is a much more rewarding car to drive in every way.
      Thank you. A friend's dad let me take it for a quick spin with him in the hills of Austin, TX. I guess I just can't appreciate older cars like that- I much preferred the 991 and 996 I've spent time in.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345