VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

R32 Timing chains

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tractorsosa 
#1 ·
hi there i need to check my timing chains on my R32 and i seem to remember find quite a in depth guide on here for espically the cam pulleys and have to set them up i just of put it in my favourites can anyway link it to me or sugguest another place to look please

#4 ·
Is it the "Cam 2 / Engine speed correlation" error? This means the ECU can't see the exhaust cam. The most common reasons for this are:-

1) The ECU is wrong for the engine

2) Chain stretch has thrown the timing off. Have a look in VCDS measuring blocks 208 and 209. If the KW reading is outside of the -8 to +8 allowable range, there's your problem.

3) The head spacer has effectively done the same thing as chain stretch, so again, the above measuring blocks are your friends.

I believe there's some discussion in the Forced induction thread about spacers throwing the timing. And if I recall, there was talk of either adding or removing 1 link from the cam chain. Or some people in the 12V days used to clock the intermediate shaft round 1/8 turn.

4) The timing is wrong. Did you clock the cam sensor trigger wheels on the VVT housings fully to the right before fitting them to them the cams? This is critical. 16 chain rollers between the arrows on the VVT housings?

#5 ·
kevhayward

Is it the "Cam 2 / Engine speed correlation" error? This means the ECU can't see the exhaust cam.

that is correct that is the error i am getting

1) The ECU is wrong for the engine

its the correct ecu with a united file on it currently

2) Chain stretch has thrown the timing off. Have a look in VCDS measuring blocks 208 and 209. If the KW reading is outside of the -8 to +8 allowable range, there's your problem.

i have vagcom and i can check i will have a look in the morning

3) The head spacer has effectively done the same thing as chain stretch, so again, the above measuring blocks are your friends.

as above

I believe there's some discussion in the Forced induction thread about spacers throwing the timing. And if I recall, there was talk of either adding or removing 1 link from the cam chain. Or some people in the 12V days used to clock the intermediate shaft round 1/8 turn.

would the intermediate being 180 cause this as i cant see it as the teeth are equal all the way around the sprocket and all the intermediate does is drive the oil pump ?

4) The timing is wrong. Did you clock the cam sensor trigger wheels on the VVT housings fully to the right before fitting them to them the cams? This is critical. 16 chain rollers between the arrows on the VVT housings?

there is 100% 16 rollers between the chains and the vvt was turned fully clockwise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.