Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New Car Tips?

1. 09-12-2012 10:17 AM #1
      I came from an Audi S4 that had pretty bad swirls in the paint. Ended up doing a ton of research, got all the wax's, Porter cable, etc... and paint corrected to an almost perfect finish. Traded it in for a Golf R (2012) and had it for about a month. Haven't washed it yet because I've got no access to hand wash.

This weekend I want to detail it and just wanted to ask if there are any *things* I need to do differently than any other car? I don't really see any bad swirls in it but then again, it's not washed. Not sure what the dealer did to it before I got it either.

Am I ok doing the following?

Wash -- Clay -- Wash -- Meguiar's 205 -- Natty's Blue

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 V6 Passat Wagon--12 Golf 2.5 4DR
      09-12-2012 10:22 AM #2
      Since you have trouble doing a traditonal hand wash have you thought about using Optimum No Rinse for your washes?? Two gallons of water in a bucket is all you really need and perhaps a spray bottle for prewettting if the car is really dirty.

You can also use it as a clay lube (mixed stronger) and then you don't have to wash after claying.

3. 09-12-2012 11:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
      Since you have trouble doing a traditonal hand wash have you thought about using Optimum No Rinse for your washes?? Two gallons of water in a bucket is all you really need and perhaps a spray bottle for prewettting if the car is really dirty.

You can also use it as a clay lube (mixed stronger) and then you don't have to wash after claying.
      I would do that... however it's just easier for me to to drive 10 miles to a self serve bay for a quick spray down. I don't mind the once/week or 2 wash.

09-12-2012 04:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by -YZ- View Post
      I would do that... however it's just easier for me to to drive 10 miles to a self serve bay for a quick spray down. I don't mind the once/week or 2 wash.
      A quick spray down won't clean the car so if you dry it your marring it , if you don't dry it your asking for water spots ..

Won't be many washes and you'll need correction ..

5. 09-19-2012 11:38 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      A quick spray down won't clean the car so if you dry it your marring it , if you don't dry it your asking for water spots ..

Won't be many washes and you'll need correction ..
      Not sure what you're talking about. I'm properly washing the car, not taking it through car wash's n' crap. I dry with micro fiber towels that won't "mar" up the paint. My question is, as the car sits now I have little to no swirls... I was wondering if I can just skip right to putting a coat of Meguiars 205, then my Natty's Blue?

Alternatively, I've got TechWax in my bag as well. Just wanted to know the best way about putting anything on a new car. Clearly, I'll go over the car and check for any deep swirls and work those as necessary.

09-19-2012 12:37 PM #6
      Not sure what you're talking about. I'm properly washing the car, not taking it through car wash's n' crap. I dry with micro fiber towels that won't "mar" up the paint. My question is, as the car sits now I have little to no swirls... I was wondering if I can just skip right to putting a coat of Meguiars 205, then my Natty's Blue?

Alternatively, I've got TechWax in my bag as well. Just wanted to know the best way about putting anything on a new car. Clearly, I'll go over the car and check for any deep swirls and work those as necessary.
      Sorry .. I must have misread this --->. however it's just easier for me to to drive 10 miles to a self serve bay for a quick spray down.

7. 09-19-2012 12:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      Sorry .. I must have misread this --->. however it's just easier for me to to drive 10 miles to a self serve bay for a quick spray down.
      Jesus christ man, forget it. What is this, the a-hole forum? christ. Self serve... as in a fkn hose and water.
      Last edited by -YZ-; 09-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.

09-19-2012 02:50 PM #8
      Jesus christ man, forget it. What is this, the a-hole forum? christ. Self serve... as in a fkn hose and water.
      I appologize and get **** on ??? A quick spray down usually means a high pressure spray at a wash bay ......

I'm sure others will be glad to jump in and help ... mind you if your other car was polished to an "almost perfect finish" you prolly don't need help.

Yes we are all *******s here ...

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 4door Autobahn 6MT
      09-19-2012 03:03 PM #9
      Total overreaction. The issue is your inability to properly communicate what you are talking about. He was apologizing and you go on to make yourself look like an even bigger idiot than you had before. Total d-bag arse munch.

10. 09-19-2012 04:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGTIVI View Post
      Total overreaction. The issue is your inability to properly communicate what you are talking about. He was apologizing and you go on to make yourself look like an even bigger idiot than you had before. Total d-bag arse munch.
      Patrick, you can blow me. Jesstzn, sorry if I was over-reacting... thought you're response was sarcastic. Apologies if it wasn't. We'll just leave it at that, but I'm sure someone else wants to chime in about my response.

Vehicles
      04 R32 06 S4 Avant
      09-20-2012 02:07 PM #11
      The point here is this:

Going to a bay to high pressure wash and soap the vehicle will not properly clean off all the dirt our eyes cannot see. The car will look clean b/c you did take a layer of dirt/debris off, but when you go to wipe the car down to dry it with your microfibers, you take a risk of marring the paint b/c there is still dirt on the surface. When it gets moved around by a towel this is when marring will occur.

This is why we say you should hand wash your vehicle over the above method. By hand washing it with something like ONR, you are able to remove those layers of dirt/grime that a pressure washer will not.

ONR is also something to consider if you're not able or allowed to use a typical hose & bucket(s) washing method where you live. You can wash your entire R with just 5 gallons of water. 2.5 with the ONR solution mixed in and 2.5 gallons of fresh water in your other bucket. Once you've washed down the panel, you wipe it dry with your microfiber towel(s) and move on to the next panel.

If you have more questions about ONR, we can talk about it in PM.
      Last edited by TXR32; 09-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.

12. 09-20-2012 06:11 PM #12
      Good advice. I'll have to try out this rinseless wash next. It may sound ridiculous, but what I do at the self wash bay's is I basically just use the pressure washer to wet/soap the car down. I'll then take a mf car wash mit and scrub the soap around panel by panel and rinse. The only drawback I find here is the car wash soap used at the bay's, I know it's far from the best but it gets the car clean enough considering I don't have hose access. I'll clay, then wash it down again.