Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "While it's opened up...."

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      09-12-2012 11:01 AM #1
      My bathroom remodel was done other than installing the skylight. Before that could be done, I needed to replace the roof since it was about 15 years into a 20 year life cycle. That project just kicked off. Everything that gets touched ends up being yet another project. After the asphalt shingles were stripped, the boards underneath were a mess so those are being replaced with plywood. Once the boards came off, some dubious rafters need some attention.

...all to install a skylight.

Vehicles
      09-12-2012 01:09 PM #2
      My bathroom brightened up a lot!

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-12-2012 01:43 PM #3
      Every project is like that - think "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."

Remember the 3 most dangerous words in home renovation is "While you're here..."

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      09-12-2012 04:48 PM #4
      looks great
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

09-12-2012 06:12 PM #5
      Nice space. Great use of light. We had skylights in our last house that would frost up from the humidity from kitchen use. How are you going to vent that space. We just ran our fan a lot.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      09-12-2012 10:40 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Nice space. Great use of light. We had skylights in our last house that would frost up from the humidity from kitchen use. How are you going to vent that space. We just ran our fan a lot.
      There is a 100 CFM bathroom fan on a timer about a foot from the skylight. The bathroom has its own radiant heat loop in the floor and I plan to keep it a little warmer than the rest of the house. That should create some convective air flow. It's a pocket door so it's normally all the way open. The skylight is also low E argon-filled so it's hopefully a little less prone to collecting frost.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      09-12-2012 11:17 PM #7
      Have you checked the foundation?

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      09-13-2012 05:14 AM #8
      Looks good! Enjoy!!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      09-13-2012 08:35 AM #9
      Geoff,

That's a familiar story I tell pretty much all of my clients when we are discussing remodeling projects. It's impossible to know what's going on in there until you open it up. Could require some significant repair work. Gotta say though, your bathroom came out great.

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 11:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Geoff,

That's a familiar story I tell pretty much all of my clients when we are discussing remodeling projects. It's impossible to know what's going on in there until you open it up. Could require some significant repair work. Gotta say though, your bathroom came out great.
      Yeah, well... Serves me right for buying a chicken coop and then opting to pay to have it remodeled in stages rather than tearing it down and starting from scratch.

This section of roof is now just about ready for paper. The back of the house is getting the same treatment. The master bedroom was an addition and has 2x4 rafters. Those are being replaced by 2x8s in anticipation of vaulting the bedroom ceiling this winter as the last major interior project.

The skylight still needs to be trimmed inside but it's installed.

09-13-2012 11:59 AM #11
      Couldn't see the fan in the other fixture. The fan in our most-used bathroom is on a line-voltage humidistat with a single-pole switch as a bypass. The hard part is remembering to turn off the bypass.

Didn't you just put a cedar roof on this place?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 12:04 PM #12
      Couldn't see the fan in the other fixture. The fan in our most-used bathroom is on a line-voltage humidistat with a single-pole switch as a bypass. The hard part is remembering to turn off the bypass.

Didn't you just put a cedar roof on this place?
      I'm just one person. A timer on the bathroom vent fan is fine. I run the A/C 24x7 in the summer so I don't have a humidity problem. Next spring after I'm done remodeling inside, I'm adding a couple more mini split wall units off a 2nd heat pump for the bedrooms so it will be even less humid.

My sister has a humidistat in her bathrooms in Vancouver, B.C. but that's a temperate rain forest with mild weather so no A/C in the summer and not much heat in the winter during the rainy season. I don't think I need one. The shower stall is dry after an hour with the fan running.

No. I had the front re-sided and a new roof installed just on the front of the house. I'm using GAF lifetime GrandSlate Bristol Gray. That part of the roof was intact so it was just 1/2" plywood over the existing roof boards.

You can't use cedar on the roof any more. It doesn't meet the building code. In my town, you also have to use 30 year shingles or better. This roof should out-live me other than the 10x10 flat roof part where I'm using a 20 year rubber roof. The alternatives would require a seam and I'd rather start with a 20' roll and cut it down to fit with no seams.

Here's a Memorial Day photo. Other than the Hydrangeas and Impatiens much bigger in front and the roses in full bloom, it looks the same now other than some crabgrass problems.
      Last edited by GeoffD; 09-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.

09-13-2012 12:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Yeah, well... Serves me right for buying a chicken coop and then opting to pay to have it remodeled in stages rather than tearing it down and starting from scratch.
      I'm only in here to give you **** about building a new house out of an old house, all the while telling us how your last house was a nightmare of constant project management - and smaller houses are better.

Sky-light looks great. Natural light is always the most pleasant in any room.

ps-does it open?

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 12:54 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I'm only in here to give you **** about building a new house out of an old house, all the while telling us how your last house was a nightmare of constant project management - and smaller houses are better.

Sky-light looks great. Natural light is always the most pleasant in any room.

ps-does it open?
      The difference in this house is that I'm mostly not living in it during the remodeling. It will also be 100% done inside by next spring. A 100+ year old house that is 4x larger is never ending.

The skylight opens. The manual crank is at about 7' 8". I can (barely) reach it to crank it open. The Velux kit didn't come with the crank to open it for non-6 footers. Need to order one of those.

09-13-2012 01:10 PM #15
      That's gotta be nice in spring and fall - should help get rid of moisture quickly, too.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-13-2012 02:26 PM #16

This section of roof is now just about ready for paper. The back of the house is getting the same treatment. The master bedroom was an addition and has 2x4 rafters. Those are being replaced by 2x8s in anticipation of vaulting the bedroom ceiling this winter as the last major interior project.
      Spend an extra $100 and have them ice and water shield the entire roof instead of just the first 36".

09-13-2012 02:33 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Spend an extra $100 and have them ice and water shield the entire roof instead of just the first 36".
      I'd agree with that.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 03:36 PM #18
      I'm very close to salt water, I have excellent insulation in the attic, and very good ventilation with button vents in the soffits every 12", 3 gable end vents, and a ridge vent. Here, the snow doesn't last on roofs long enough to get ice dam problems even if you have a hot roof. It's unnecessary on my roof.

Edited:

Besides, too late now

Last edited by GeoffD; 09-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-13-2012 09:38 PM #19
      So they used Tri-flex and felt paper?? I'm not an expert but the former is used in place of the latter.

i presume they will be ice and water shielding the first 3'? It's code here in MA.

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 10:34 PM #20
      So they used Tri-flex and felt paper?? I'm not an expert but the former is used in place of the latter.

i presume they will be ice and water shielding the first 3'? It's code here in MA.
      That's 36" of ice & water shield with Tri-Flex overlapping it by about 12". Tri-Flex is UV-resistant polypropylene.

I had a problem getting the shingles I'd ordered last winter. The regional distributor was having a spat with GAF and late-November orders didn't get filled until February. My front section of roof sat exposed for 3+ months like that with no leaks. Not exactly what I wanted but no harm done. Things have certainly changed from the old tar paper days.

Last edited by GeoffD; 09-13-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-14-2012 02:14 PM #21
      That's 36" of ice & water shield with Tri-Flex overlapping it by about 12". Tri-Flex is UV-resistant polypropylene.
      Got it. I'm familiar with the Tri-Flex. It's perfect when they don't expect to get the roof done soon.

As for the ice and water shield, I didn't see any writing on it so it looked like tar paper to me.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, 2006 Audi A3
      09-15-2012 01:25 PM #22
      That looks to be a great looking bathroom.

23. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      09-15-2012 03:18 PM #23
      That looks great!

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 10:58 AM #24
      The side is almost done. The last of the shingling will get done eventually.

Today's project is to repair the hack carpentry in the back where they tacked the master bedroom wing onto a hip roof. Replace the ridge board with a 2x10, replace all the 2x4 rafters with 2x8s. Hack out the hip roof buried in the attic and install a few collar ties.

09-17-2012 11:41 AM #25
      The side is almost done. The last of the shingling will get done eventually.

I'm thinking that the shingling running up that second roofline (where the horizontal seams turn vertical) is going to be overlapped by the next stage of shingles? Otherwise I am getting turned around.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 03:29 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I'm thinking that the shingling running up that second roofline (where the horizontal seams turn vertical) is going to be overlapped by the next stage of shingles? Otherwise I am getting turned around.
      Yep. There's about a foot of overlap in the valley. The course on the 2nd roofline will be cut at the valley.

The back section of roof is half framed so far.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 08:02 PM #27

09-18-2012 08:21 PM #28
      Was there a ship's wheel on the side of your house or the remnants of some Satanic symbol?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 06:31 AM #29
      Was there a ship's wheel on the side of your house or the remnants of some Satanic symbol?
      Yep. The previous owner had a ship's wheel there. That side of the house is going to get re-shingled next spring after that double-hung window gets re-configured.

30. 09-19-2012 02:07 PM #30
      I have followed all your threads on this house, and While I love the work you have done, I cant help but think on some level it would have been more effective just to knock it down and start over. Dont get me wrong i love the way it is coming out now, but it seems like there has been issue after issue, and tons of hack job work that you have run into that I'm sure has drastically increased the cost of the renovations you have done.

That being said I am sure that you had no idea what you were getting into, as most people do not. Its almost impossible to find out all the stuff that is wrong before the walls are opened up, as you have obviously found out, lol.

One of the reasons I was so happy to get the place I did when I bought my "fixer-upper" is that it was almost all original with the exception of some plumbing, furnace, upgraded electrical line to panel, etc. Windows, floors, kitchen, baths, etc in general were untouched except for basic fixes.

Because of this I knew what I was getting into, and there wasnt tons of hackjobs that made renovations a nightmare.

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 05:11 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      I have followed all your threads on this house, and While I love the work you have done, I cant help but think on some level it would have been more effective just to knock it down and start over.
      I have that conversation all the time. I'm indeed just about at the crossover point where it would have been cheaper to knock it down and rebuild from scratch.

09-19-2012 05:16 PM #32
      I've had the same conversation. I took 9 30-yard dumpsters out of here, but it was worth it because I ended up with what I wanted. Had I built something from scratch we would still be in the planning stages, now nearly 20 years later. With an existing structure it gave me the parameters I could work within. Compromise became the word of the day instead of frustration.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

33. 09-20-2012 01:37 PM #33
      I've had the same conversation. I took 9 30-yard dumpsters out of here, but it was worth it because I ended up with what I wanted. Had I built something from scratch we would still be in the planning stages, now nearly 20 years later. With an existing structure it gave me the parameters I could work within. Compromise became the word of the day instead of frustration.
      Sure, and I completely understand that. However in a situation like the OP's, If he had known, something like a complete gut rehab done all at once seems like it would have been easier. Even if he kept the framing, and redid literally everything else at the same time it could be considered a "renovation" but all the old framing, rotted roof, hackjob renovations, and old mechanics could be removed and replaced in a much easier and timely manner.

I wouldnt agree with something like that if you really wanted to keep all the original character in the home, but it seems like much of that was removed anyway.

In my home for example I want to keep most the the original lath and plaster walls. They are in great shape, and I dont want to disturb the original woodwork. Now remove the plaster for a kitchen or bath redo? sure, but not all of them.

09-20-2012 01:40 PM #34
      To each his own. Sometimes thing have to be done over time to fit financial constraints.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

35. 09-20-2012 01:48 PM #35
      To each his own. Sometimes thing have to be done over time to fit financial constraints.
      completely agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast