Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 16v aba turbo swap HELP!

1. 09-12-2012 04:44 PM #1
      ok so my set up is an 1998 jetta obd2 2.0 bottom end, 16v 2.0 head. built bottom end 42lb injectors, c2 softwear, stock distributor, sri, walbro255,3inch maf, obd2 vr throttle body.... did the swap car ran great everything was fine ran for a year until now. at first i was having problems getting the car started would crank crank crank would not start. then it would start and run fine. this problem lasted 2-3 weeks drove it from ny to nj for waterfest and back,not a problem. got back started doing the same problems. one day started the car to leave work got 10 yards before the car stalled out in first gear. spent 2 hrs checking things over..had a friend tow me home, for ****s i jump started the car in second gear still nothing got home, got the car in the drive way ,started rite up.
      The next day i started the car it would only make power to 4200 rpms fall on its face then start to make power at 5800 rpms. at the moment there is no spark or fuel.
      THINGS I HAVE REPLACED
      1.crank sensor
      2.ignition switch
      3.fuel relay and fuse
      4.cap and rotor
      5.ign coil
      6.plug wires
      7.timing is perfectly alined
      8.grounds checked
      9.replaced half of the engine harness.(injectors, throttle body,dist ect)
      10. starter cranks hard
      11. replaced hal sensor
      12.tried "battery vodoo"
      13.compression 150 across the board
      14.replaced ecu

some one please give me a hand i am running out of options and getting very irritated. at this point i want to burn the car to the ground lol. any suggestions,ideas,experiences would be great

thank you - jay

Vehicles
      91 jetta gl vr6 turbo(project),91 jetta gl diesel, mk4 wolfy
      09-12-2012 08:32 PM #2
      possibly the software your running maybe the chip crapped out.

Vehicles
      diesel
      09-12-2012 08:40 PM #3
      i believe he tried it with a known good stock chip.

4. 09-12-2012 09:00 PM #4
      I've tried with a different Ecu. Same unitied (c2) EPROM. I can see the chip taking a
      Crap maybe messing with the power cut up top, but to make it not start ?
      Btw Thanks for responding !

Vehicles
      92 GTI, 2000 GTI
      09-13-2012 04:11 PM #5
      So at this point you aren't getting spark or fuel at all?

Alarm immobilizer?
      Clutch switch?
      Another Ign switch?

Basically, judging by the fact that you aren't getting either, I'm guessing your electrical set up is seriously boned, or something in place by VW meant to cause a no start, although I honestly don't know if they cut fuel / spark or prevent the starter from cranking.

Maybe it is the chip, I feel like a chip would be adjusting the fuel and spark signals from the ECU, so it it fried, it could be sending no signals at all.
      Eurofine
      '95 Jetta 2.0: R.I.P. || '92 GTI: || 2000 GTI 1.8T: "Built" on the Cheap
      @kareem_hates_your_face

6. 09-13-2012 10:50 PM #6
      Yes there is no fuel or spark. The Car cranks pretty good. All the interior electronics work lights, radio,gauges ect. I have another chip laying around with a 42lb injector /turbo map on it. Goin to throw it in next time in off and see what happens. Thanks

7. 09-17-2012 06:06 PM #7
      Tried other chip I had, cleaned every visible ground. Still no start. Any answers will help

Vehicles
      97MK3 Jetta GL(sold),98MK3 Jetta GT(sold),99MK3 Jetta GL(sold),(CURRENT)-99MK3 Jetta WOLF'sBURG
      09-25-2012 12:32 PM #8
      Did you replace your Fuel pump relay with VW or aftermarket japanese crap, same with Speed Sensor aka (Crank sensor) ?? I've heard stories our cars don't like these "Aftermarket" replacements you can get from chain parts stores also more of a chance of getting a faulty item fom them. I'll keep you updated

BTW...could also be the Fuel pump !! ??

9. 09-25-2012 07:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 99MK3VDUB View Post
      Did you replace your Fuel pump relay with VW or aftermarket japanese crap, same with Speed Sensor aka (Crank sensor) ?? I've heard stories our cars don't like these "Aftermarket" replacements you can get from chain parts stores also more of a chance of getting a faulty item fom them. I'll keep you updated

BTW...could also be the Fuel pump !! ??
      Yes the crank sensor was the first thing I changed cause no fuel or spark are usually the symptoms of a bad cps. Also replaced the fuel pump relay. Both oem Vw parts. I am currently running 2 fuel pumps one stock one 255 in line pump. They both run fine. If you havent checked you're fuel pump yet ,what I did was run a wire from the positive side of the battery to a switch straight back to power wire of the fuel pump. I have a wire diagram on here some where I will look it up for you.

Thanks for the help

Vehicles
      97MK3 Jetta GL(sold),98MK3 Jetta GT(sold),99MK3 Jetta GL(sold),(CURRENT)-99MK3 Jetta WOLF'sBURG
      09-25-2012 08:02 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SkAvEnGeR631 View Post
      Yes the crank sensor was the first thing I changed cause no fuel or spark are usually the symptoms of a bad cps. Also replaced the fuel pump relay. Both oem Vw parts. I am currently running 2 fuel pumps one stock one 255 in line pump. They both run fine. If you havent checked you're fuel pump yet ,what I did was run a wire from the positive side of the battery to a switch straight back to power wire of the fuel pump. I have a wire diagram on here some where I will look it up for you.

Thanks for the help
      That would be GREAT to have...
      Like I said I will do the CPS (again) and the relay then go from there. It will be a couple days before I can get to one of my shops I use where the car is to get after it but I'm sure between the two of us and maybe a helpful hint from someone else we can get these DUB's back on the road. This car was my first MKIII I ever owned and didn't do any "modding" only normal maint and a couple small add-ons and flipped it but she stayed in the family so to speak and I refuse to let it die...