Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confessions

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      09-18-2012 04:21 PM #26
      I prefer to lift through minor injuries, and keep them around for much longer than they ever should be.

I screwed up an abdominal muscle 5 months ago, and while it has gotten better, it is no where near 100%, and instead of taking enough time off to get it better, I've just been dealing with it.

I have a similar situation with my achilles tendon at the moment too.

I know this is going to bite me in the ass eventually, but...

2. 09-21-2012 11:24 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Where is this place at ? I looked for one when I was up there last time lol
      There are only two in NH (that I know of) and neither are worth going to. Not that I go frequently, but if I do go to a club it's usually Ten's in Salisbury Mass. We went to Centerfolds in Boston the other day and it was TERRIBLE.
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

3. 09-21-2012 01:16 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      I'd be too ashamed to push this little weight in a packed gym.
      I very rarely lift at the gym because of that. I am so weak, yet I have a build that suggests otherwise so I feel especially embarrassed when I don't put up a lot of weight. To top it off, I'll see some petite, 5'7 Asian guy who doesn't have much definition, but he'll somehow bench like 275 lbs. Here I am struggling to get 135 lbs. up 5 times. Weak I know...

It's weird/fascinating how muscle size doesn't dictate total strength.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      09-21-2012 01:59 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      I very rarely lift at the gym because of that. I am so weak, yet I have a build that suggests otherwise so I feel especially embarrassed when I don't put up a lot of weight. To top it off, I'll see some petite, 5'7 Asian guy who doesn't have much definition, but he'll somehow bench like 275 lbs. Here I am struggling to get 135 lbs. up 5 times. Weak I know...

I'm with you on that. I should have huge numbers based on my size but they are really just average. Just know that everyone starts some where. I'd rather be big with weak numbers than small with huge numbers but that's just my personal preference.

FWIW, I've been humbled over the last few weeks. I think I had a partial tear near my rotator cuff. I've been SLOWLY working up my pressing movements. Last night I did 50lbs dumbells. Sucks considering I was using 120lbs at one point.

I sweat a LOT. It seems to be something that has progressed as I've gotten older. After my warmup of 10 min elliptical, I've got beads of sweat rolling down my face. Shirt is always soaked after exercise. The weird thing is my gym keeps it at like 65 so I'm sweating but freezing my ass off at the same time.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      09-22-2012 03:22 AM #30
      I do not have real set training plan. I have my days i do certain muscle groups, run, etc. but I do not have specific exercises mapped out. Just kinda wing it that day what i feel like doing.

I need to adopt a real nutrition plan.

Im 6'4" and want to get "bigger" I take supplements, but not in a way that i feel really benefits me. However, i want to lose the gut i have acquired due to Coca Cola and burger king after i stopped actively working out about 8 months ago.

I need to research more, or pay someone to sit down and asses my goals and tell me what would be best for me as a base. From there i could build on it. Its the initial " what do i need to get where i want to be" that im lacking.

I workout to feel good but also to attract attention from the ladies... Less than stellar way of going about that i know..

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Taurus X, '08 4Runner
      09-23-2012 08:17 PM #31
      I have a very hard time staying motivated to work out on my own. I joined a boxing/MMA training place for an early morning training/conditioning class that I loved, met some like-minded people, and saw great results. Then I got hurt and had to stop for a while. When I was ready to start up again, I found out the trainer that was running the class left the gym due to low participation.

I really miss that workout - it was different every session, but it kicked my ass and made a real, very noticeable difference in my fitness. Now I've regained the weight I had lost (about 7 or 8 lbs) lost a lot of the strength I had gained...but more importantly, I just feel like crap.

So here is my confession: I know this topic always causes a sh!tstorm around here, but I'm going to try Crossfit. I know, I know - I've read / heard all the opinions on both sides, and I really don't know what to believe. So I'm just going to try it. There is a fairly new place right near my old gym, which is convenient. Plus they offer 6am sessions 3x week, which I also prefer. They make first-timers attend four 'basics classes' before they let you move up and participate in the regular group sessions. First session is free so I'll give it a shot and make up my own mind about it.

09-24-2012 11:58 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post

just a FYI , nobody cares what you life as long as you don't was your whole time doing curls

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      09-24-2012 03:12 PM #33
      Like the OP and a few others I don't squat or deadlift nearly what someone my size should. I never focused on that and only recently learned how to do it right so I took the Stronglifts plan from the bare bar and am working my way up.

I'm not embarrassed in my gym though. I know my form is better than when I started and I'm going parallel no matter the weight, unlike everyone else in there except maybe 2 guys. Even the trainers are running people through 1/4 squats.

I really need to work on flexibility and posterior chain activation. Working with a new guy 2 weeks ago showed me how far I've come though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      09-30-2012 10:50 AM #34
      Hi, I fart a lot in the gym, especially while doing crunches.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      10' GTI, 03' GTI 24v VR6, 82' soft top Rabbit
      09-30-2012 08:03 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Oh and if you are wearing sweat pants and sweat shirt at the gym your an idiot and should of stayed home on the couch
      wee ooh wee ooh fashion police

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      10-01-2012 11:02 AM #36
      I judge everyone, especially:

--using the Smith
      --doing ab isolation exercises
      --on a machine, unless they are injured or elderly
      --circuit training hogs
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      10-01-2012 11:08 AM #37
      I was in better shape before I started coming to these boards. I used a combination of machines and free weights and never felt or looked better. My ignorance allowed me to stay focused on my goals better. Now that I've learned a lot more, I feel like I've get ADD and never stay on a plan long enough to see the results I want.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

10-01-2012 12:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      I was in better shape before I started coming to these boards. I used a combination of machines and free weights and never felt or looked better. My ignorance allowed me to stay focused on my goals better. Now that I've learned a lot more, I feel like I've get ADD and never stay on a plan long enough to see the results I want.
      No ****. If I feel I haven't eaten sufficiently or slept 5 hrs or more, I am not lifting. I really should just do it and chalk it up as a ****ty lift, as opposed to a no lift

Vehicles
      1998 VW VR6 GTI (owned) 2000 Audi A6 2.7T (ownde), 1996 Miata (current)
      10-01-2012 08:23 PM #39
      I judge all my friends who say they have "no time to workout" but have time to play videogames. I honestly lost respect for them. If you don't want to workout be a man and say you don't want to instead of spewing bull**** for not going.

I dislike training chest.

I judge fat lazy people.

I am neutral towards Crossfit. If it makes people active I'm fine with it.

I should be way bigger and lifting more than I am taking into account how long ago I started lifting.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      10-01-2012 10:32 PM #40
      I got super sick about a month ago, and I haven't been back to the gym since.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      10-19-2012 10:53 AM #41
      I'll play:

- I've lifted for 5-6 years and still struggle benching 205
      - I'm almost never satisfied with my workouts
      - I judge the hell out of people who use terrible form to put more weight up
      - Since I started leaning out and running way more (training for a half marathon) I can't lift jack sh*t for weight and some days it really bothers me

Forgot these two:

- I wear cutoff t-shirts to expose my pythons
      - I'm constantly on my phone at the gym. I work just as hard as you and never take up space if someone wants to use something.
      Last edited by strskatr05; 10-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04 excursion PSD, 97 suburban
      10-19-2012 05:40 PM #42
      i do curls, not sure why its a bad thing lol

EDIT :my diet is probably ONE OF the worst on this forum, like "good god how is he not morbidly obese" bad

and my bench is horrible considering the rest of my maxes
      Last edited by baller9409; 10-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      10-19-2012 06:23 PM #43
      there is no way your diet is worse than chilledmans

19. 10-19-2012 08:12 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      there is no way your diet is worse than chilledmans
      or your physique....ZING!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04 excursion PSD, 97 suburban
      10-19-2012 09:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      or your physique....ZING!
      HAHAHA my physique isnt bad, but it should be horrible

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-20-2012 09:41 AM #46
      My squat is a joke. I've been working around 225. I did 320 for two singles last night with a bit of help. I thought I was going to explode. I wanted to be around 400 by January, and am struggling to keep it out of my head that that's not gonna happen.

My bench is mediocre. I'm really humping with 225. I was hoping for 300 by January, but same story as squats.

As far as the big 3 go, combined I'm up over 900, which I like, but I know it's all deadlift carrying the team and that bugs me. I'm not balanced at all.

My current body weight is 220. I don't much care about the number one way or the other, but I feel like I should be lifting more than I am. My body weight hasn't changed more than 5 pounds in over a year, but my lifts have increased, which I like. I haven't lost nearly as much fat as I was hoping to in that year.

I make up excuses in my head as to why I'm too busy or can't be bothered with tracking caloric intake. I try to eat clean, but I'm too lenient with myself.

While I can't lift as heavy as a lot of people, I judge the form of people who are lifting way more than me. If you have stupid form or are doing quarter squats with 1000 poods, I know I'm doing better for myself by fully squatting a quarter of the weight.

I try to walk with good posture, but it makes me feel like a meathead, so sometimes (read: often) I slouch.

I have to tell myself I'm going to workout every day, knowing full well that I won't meet that goal, and usually only get to lift two or 3 days a week.

I only ever know which big lift I'm going to do. The rest of my workout is made up on the fly and I don't keep track of those numbers. I have no idea if any accessory work is progressing.

If you are grunting on every rep of a body weight exercise (pullups, dips, leg lifts, etc.) and/or slamming the weight stack on every rep on the machine you are using, I will get pissed off at you. I will try to use this to my advantage, and I will start slamming weights around in hopes that you'll realize how annoying you are.

For a while, I was really good at not seeing anything that goes on in the gym, but I've lost that skill. I need to stop watching everyone else and focus on myself.

I like this thread. Hopefully by putting **** in writing it will help us come to terms with our pitfalls.
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

22. 10-20-2012 10:42 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by baller9409 View Post
      HAHAHA my physique isnt bad, but it should be horrible
      my comment had nothing to do with you and everything to do with chilledman

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      10-20-2012 09:30 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      My squat is a joke. I've been working around 225. I did 320 for two singles last night with a bit of help. I thought I was going to explode. I wanted to be around 400 by January, and am struggling to keep it out of my head that that's not gonna happen.

My bench is mediocre. I'm really humping with 225. I was hoping for 300 by January, but same story as squats.
      Strength gains are only linear for a short time. Then you'll hit a point where you need where it takes a ton of work to progress. If it were that simple, everyone who's trained for 3 years would be squatting 500. The reality is that there are very few people out there legitimately benching 300 or squatting 400, and it's not for want of trying. My gym is owned by powerlifting superstar Sioux-z Hartwig Gary. We were talking about this a few months ago. For me, a good year is adding 5 kg to my lifts. For her, an outstanding year is adding 5 lbs to any lift. As you get better, things get a whole lot tougher.

10-21-2012 01:41 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Strength gains are only linear for a short time. Then you'll hit a point where you need where it takes a ton of work to progress. If it were that simple, everyone who's trained for 3 years would be squatting 500. The reality is that there are very few people out there legitimately benching 300 or squatting 400, and it's not for want of trying. My gym is owned by powerlifting superstar Sioux-z Hartwig Gary. We were talking about this a few months ago. For me, a good year is adding 5 kg to my lifts. For her, an outstanding year is adding 5 lbs to any lift. As you get better, things get a whole lot tougher.
      I just gave up lifting after reading this, thanks xiao

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-21-2012 09:14 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Understood. I just found a 12 week schedule that worked great for my deadlift. I'm hoping I can use it on the other two. I think if I give it an honest effort I can pull it off. Here's to hoping
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast