Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      10-01-2012 12:02 PM #36
      I judge everyone, especially:

--using the Smith
      --doing ab isolation exercises
      --on a machine, unless they are injured or elderly
      --circuit training hogs
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      10-01-2012 12:08 PM #37
      I was in better shape before I started coming to these boards. I used a combination of machines and free weights and never felt or looked better. My ignorance allowed me to stay focused on my goals better. Now that I've learned a lot more, I feel like I've get ADD and never stay on a plan long enough to see the results I want.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

10-01-2012 01:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      I was in better shape before I started coming to these boards. I used a combination of machines and free weights and never felt or looked better. My ignorance allowed me to stay focused on my goals better. Now that I've learned a lot more, I feel like I've get ADD and never stay on a plan long enough to see the results I want.
      No ****. If I feel I haven't eaten sufficiently or slept 5 hrs or more, I am not lifting. I really should just do it and chalk it up as a ****ty lift, as opposed to a no lift

Vehicles
      1998 VW VR6 GTI (owned) 2000 Audi A6 2.7T (ownde), 1996 Miata (current)
      10-01-2012 09:23 PM #39
      I judge all my friends who say they have "no time to workout" but have time to play videogames. I honestly lost respect for them. If you don't want to workout be a man and say you don't want to instead of spewing bull**** for not going.

I dislike training chest.

I judge fat lazy people.

I am neutral towards Crossfit. If it makes people active I'm fine with it.

I should be way bigger and lifting more than I am taking into account how long ago I started lifting.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      10-01-2012 11:32 PM #40
      I got super sick about a month ago, and I haven't been back to the gym since.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      10-19-2012 11:53 AM #41
      I'll play:

- I've lifted for 5-6 years and still struggle benching 205
      - I'm almost never satisfied with my workouts
      - I judge the hell out of people who use terrible form to put more weight up
      - Since I started leaning out and running way more (training for a half marathon) I can't lift jack sh*t for weight and some days it really bothers me

Forgot these two:

- I wear cutoff t-shirts to expose my pythons
      - I'm constantly on my phone at the gym. I work just as hard as you and never take up space if someone wants to use something.
      Last edited by strskatr05; 10-19-2012 at 06:58 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04 excursion PSD, 97 suburban
      10-19-2012 06:40 PM #42
      i do curls, not sure why its a bad thing lol

EDIT :my diet is probably ONE OF the worst on this forum, like "good god how is he not morbidly obese" bad

and my bench is horrible considering the rest of my maxes
      Last edited by baller9409; 10-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      10-19-2012 07:23 PM #43
      there is no way your diet is worse than chilledmans

9. 10-19-2012 09:12 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      there is no way your diet is worse than chilledmans
      or your physique....ZING!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04 excursion PSD, 97 suburban
      10-19-2012 10:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      or your physique....ZING!
      HAHAHA my physique isnt bad, but it should be horrible

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-20-2012 10:41 AM #46
      My squat is a joke. I've been working around 225. I did 320 for two singles last night with a bit of help. I thought I was going to explode. I wanted to be around 400 by January, and am struggling to keep it out of my head that that's not gonna happen.

My bench is mediocre. I'm really humping with 225. I was hoping for 300 by January, but same story as squats.

As far as the big 3 go, combined I'm up over 900, which I like, but I know it's all deadlift carrying the team and that bugs me. I'm not balanced at all.

My current body weight is 220. I don't much care about the number one way or the other, but I feel like I should be lifting more than I am. My body weight hasn't changed more than 5 pounds in over a year, but my lifts have increased, which I like. I haven't lost nearly as much fat as I was hoping to in that year.

I make up excuses in my head as to why I'm too busy or can't be bothered with tracking caloric intake. I try to eat clean, but I'm too lenient with myself.

While I can't lift as heavy as a lot of people, I judge the form of people who are lifting way more than me. If you have stupid form or are doing quarter squats with 1000 poods, I know I'm doing better for myself by fully squatting a quarter of the weight.

I try to walk with good posture, but it makes me feel like a meathead, so sometimes (read: often) I slouch.

I have to tell myself I'm going to workout every day, knowing full well that I won't meet that goal, and usually only get to lift two or 3 days a week.

I only ever know which big lift I'm going to do. The rest of my workout is made up on the fly and I don't keep track of those numbers. I have no idea if any accessory work is progressing.

If you are grunting on every rep of a body weight exercise (pullups, dips, leg lifts, etc.) and/or slamming the weight stack on every rep on the machine you are using, I will get pissed off at you. I will try to use this to my advantage, and I will start slamming weights around in hopes that you'll realize how annoying you are.

For a while, I was really good at not seeing anything that goes on in the gym, but I've lost that skill. I need to stop watching everyone else and focus on myself.

I like this thread. Hopefully by putting **** in writing it will help us come to terms with our pitfalls.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

12. 10-20-2012 11:42 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by baller9409 View Post
      HAHAHA my physique isnt bad, but it should be horrible
      my comment had nothing to do with you and everything to do with chilledman

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      10-20-2012 10:30 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      My squat is a joke. I've been working around 225. I did 320 for two singles last night with a bit of help. I thought I was going to explode. I wanted to be around 400 by January, and am struggling to keep it out of my head that that's not gonna happen.

My bench is mediocre. I'm really humping with 225. I was hoping for 300 by January, but same story as squats.
      Strength gains are only linear for a short time. Then you'll hit a point where you need where it takes a ton of work to progress. If it were that simple, everyone who's trained for 3 years would be squatting 500. The reality is that there are very few people out there legitimately benching 300 or squatting 400, and it's not for want of trying. My gym is owned by powerlifting superstar Sioux-z Hartwig Gary. We were talking about this a few months ago. For me, a good year is adding 5 kg to my lifts. For her, an outstanding year is adding 5 lbs to any lift. As you get better, things get a whole lot tougher.

10-21-2012 02:41 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Strength gains are only linear for a short time. Then you'll hit a point where you need where it takes a ton of work to progress. If it were that simple, everyone who's trained for 3 years would be squatting 500. The reality is that there are very few people out there legitimately benching 300 or squatting 400, and it's not for want of trying. My gym is owned by powerlifting superstar Sioux-z Hartwig Gary. We were talking about this a few months ago. For me, a good year is adding 5 kg to my lifts. For her, an outstanding year is adding 5 lbs to any lift. As you get better, things get a whole lot tougher.
      I just gave up lifting after reading this, thanks xiao

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-21-2012 10:14 AM #50
      Understood. I just found a 12 week schedule that worked great for my deadlift. I'm hoping I can use it on the other two. I think if I give it an honest effort I can pull it off. Here's to hoping
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

16. 10-21-2012 10:20 AM #51
      This is the absolute truth!

This is the point that separates people. This is the point where most people will throw supplements, drugs, poor form and half squats at the problem to continue gains. This is why people get hurt, they don't train properly they just keep throwing weight on without taking their time.

This fact is also why I love the gym so much.

17. 10-21-2012 04:31 PM #52
      I actually find it's even more annoying than this. I find once you get past newbie gains, you can go a year or more with NO gains, or maybe even backwards progress due to illness, injury or laziness or whatever (so often the gains you put on during a year are just re-gaining what you'd lost). But then, almost out of nowhere, I'll put 25-50 lbs on a lift. And I'm not referring to doing drugs, that's redundant, just natural training. I keep training and nothing, nothing then bam, big jump. I rarely get stronger in small increments. It's either nothing or negative, or a major step forward. I don't know if this is due to figuring out some technique or something healing that was holding me back but I've been this way since like the 3rd year I started training, so figure 15 years.

18. 10-21-2012 09:21 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      I actually find it's even more annoying than this. I find once you get past newbie gains, you can go a year or more with NO gains, or maybe even backwards progress due to illness, injury or laziness or whatever (so often the gains you put on during a year are just re-gaining what you'd lost). But then, almost out of nowhere, I'll put 25-50 lbs on a lift. And I'm not referring to doing drugs, that's redundant, just natural training. I keep training and nothing, nothing then bam, big jump. I rarely get stronger in small increments. It's either nothing or negative, or a major step forward. I don't know if this is due to figuring out some technique or something healing that was holding me back but I've been this way since like the 3rd year I started training, so figure 15 years.
      I find this to be true as well.

2011- no gain in deadlift
      2012- 65lb gain in deadlift

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-21-2012 10:48 PM #54
      I'll judge you as stupid in the supermarket if you're fat and your 2 carts are full of gross food. GIGO

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      10-21-2012 11:19 PM #55
      I'll agree on the fits and spurts, but I find generally that the amount of gains I can keep is where things get problematic. Early 2012 I front squat 160 and back squat 170 after an intensive squat overload. Patellar tendonitis and a take a few weeks easy and everything drops back 10 kilos. Go to Ohio for 2 weeks and I struggle to hit for a single that I hit for a triple before I left. Train BJJ for a few sessions and I'm struggling to get the energy to hit an 85% single.

Basically, I find with increased training age that it's harder to hold gains in any direction. Not to say that I don't have room to grow... just that I have more realistic expectations of how much progress I'm going to see.

21. Member
      10-22-2012 10:43 AM #56
      Totally agree. I've been lifting seriously for 21 years and have gone through just about every phase and workout I can think of. Every so often, like right now, I am in a phase where I concentrate on getting stronger. So I plan to break my maxes (455dead, 295 bench, 425 squat- no longer trying the squat max), and then will move on to another challenge. It takes a lot of time, energy, and devotion to continue adding weight and strength- that I just don't have.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      10-22-2012 10:48 AM #57
      I'm glad to read this, as I have been hovering above/below the 3 plate squat, and 4 plate dead for the last year. Granted I had two dumb ass injuries that set me back, but I think that goes in hand with what you guys are saying. Definitely frustrating. Especially when you get a friend or two into lifting, and get to watch them add 10+ lbs a week to their lifts.

Still love it though.

10-22-2012 04:56 PM #58
      My gym is owned by powerlifting superstar Sioux-z Hartwig Gary.
      Dude I didn't know this. She and Matt are great for the sport.

I wish I wasn't as fat. CHanging my training methodology because of this.
      Last edited by leakypipeDCI; 10-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
      It's all about squats and deads.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      10-22-2012 06:35 PM #59
      On the note of inconsistency in progress...
      Front squatted 147.5 for 2x2 and 140 for 3x2 last Monday and 130 for 4x4 on Thursday last week. Today I was supposed to hit 150 for 2x2 but felt crushed and ended up with two singles.

This weekend I had a 6 hour motorcycle ride, drank way too much and stayed up way too late. The point being, as you approach the limits, conditions have to become more and more optimal to progress. So my confession is that I don't take my training as seriously as necessary to keep moving forward.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-22-2012 10:07 PM #60
      I take pictures of myself shirtless and like it.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      10-23-2012 09:30 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I take pictures of myself shirtless and like it.

Vehicles
      10-23-2012 09:58 AM #62
      I think roids are actually as dangerous as some of the media portrays them to be...well, maybe not quite that bad. Recently started hearing about some guys, who I consider to be in incredible shape, having heart attacks in their early 40s. These are guys that had the physique that I always wanted. For example, 6' 240/250lbs with abs. But after hearing all these stories, it's really changed my fitness priorities. My views have definitley shifted from being big and lean to being healthy and lean. Whatever weight I end up at, I'll be happy as long as I know I'm healthy.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

28. 10-23-2012 11:30 AM #63
      Whatever weight I end up at, I'll be happy as long as I know I'm healthy.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx#Death
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hebranko

Unfortunately, being fat or thin, muscular or skinny, won't mean that you're healthy and will live a long time. Family history is a far better indicator than your scale reading. You'll go when you go.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-23-2012 11:39 AM #64
      I've barely lifted in the last two weeks. I've had a horrible sleeping schedule and been focusing more on cycling, but I'm not even attempting to start a workout even if I know it'll suck.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

30. Member
      10-23-2012 11:52 AM #65
      I think roids are actually as dangerous as some of the media portrays them to be...well, maybe not quite that bad. Recently started hearing about some guys, who I consider to be in incredible shape, having heart attacks in their early 40s. These are guys that had the physique that I always wanted. For example, 6' 240/250lbs with abs. But after hearing all these stories, it's really changed my fitness priorities. My views have definitley shifted from being big and lean to being healthy and lean. Whatever weight I end up at, I'll be happy as long as I know I'm healthy.
      Odd that you post this because I have gone the opposite. I've come to realize that they aren't nearly as dangerous as people think- when done correctly.

I'm not into it, but I have opened my mind to those that do.

Vehicles
      10-23-2012 12:10 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx#Death
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hebranko

Unfortunately, being fat or thin, muscular or skinny, won't mean that you're healthy and will live a long time. Family history is a far better indicator than your scale reading. You'll go when you go.

That's kinda why I said 'whatever weight'...I don't care if I'm fat/skinny/muscular/thin as much anymore as I am about making healthier choices. Everyone has their genetic weaknesses as far as health is concerned. I'm just going to do my best to avoid doing anything that could possibly be a catalyst.

The anecdotal evidence of knowing guys that didn't have family history yet used steroids when younger and all of a sudden have a heart attack in their late 30s/early 40s is enough to make me avoid them.

I'm not against them if someone wants to take them. I have my own vices that can make me kick the bucket early, this is just one I don't chose to partake in. I know that I would have to exceed normal levels to get the size/look I would want. I just decided it wasn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Odd that you post this because I have gone the opposite. I've come to realize that they aren't nearly as dangerous as people think- when done correctly.

I'm not into it, but I have opened my mind to those that do.
      The 'when done correctly' is the key. However, most of the guys interested in doing roids to get big aren't doing them correctly. I totally support usage under a doctors care. I've seen old guys pop back to life with a low dose that keeps them in the normal range. It's when you take so much that your exceed the acceptable range that it gets dangerous imo.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      10-23-2012 12:41 PM #67
      I thought I was alone in the gym so I took my shirt off and flexed in the mirror. Then someone walked in and I put my shirt on really fast.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

33. Member
      10-23-2012 01:05 PM #68
      That's kinda why I said 'whatever weight'...I don't care if I'm fat/skinny/muscular/thin as much anymore as I am about making healthier choices. Everyone has their genetic weaknesses as far as health is concerned. I'm just going to do my best to avoid doing anything that could possibly be a catalyst.

The anecdotal evidence of knowing guys that didn't have family history yet used steroids when younger and all of a sudden have a heart attack in their late 30s/early 40s is enough to make me avoid them.

I'm not against them if someone wants to take them. I have my own vices that can make me kick the bucket early, this is just one I don't chose to partake in. I know that I would have to exceed normal levels to get the size/look I would want. I just decided it wasn't worth it.

The 'when done correctly' is the key. However, most of the guys interested in doing roids to get big aren't doing them correctly. I totally support usage under a doctors care. I've seen old guys pop back to life with a low dose that keeps them in the normal range. It's when you take so much that your exceed the acceptable range that it gets dangerous imo.

Those aren't roids- it's TRT and not even close to the same thing.

34. 10-23-2012 02:35 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      I very rarely lift at the gym because of that. I am so weak, yet I have a build that suggests otherwise so I feel especially embarrassed when I don't put up a lot of weight. To top it off, I'll see some petite, 5'7 Asian guy who doesn't have much definition, but he'll somehow bench like 275 lbs. Here I am struggling to get 135 lbs. up 5 times. Weak I know...

It's weird/fascinating how muscle size doesn't dictate total strength.
      I couldn't help but laugh when I read this because I feel like that's me...the asian guy that is.
      I'm about 5'8 and weigh a buck sixty and I enjoy more than I should grabbing 100lb dumbbells to do a set of chest presses while someone bigger than me struggles with 80lbs...or squats, shoulder presses etc...

I have trouble with eating. I forget about meals all the time and it's not uncommon for me to only eat one meal and a snack a day. Now when I do eat I pig out, but definitely not enough to make up for not eating through out the day.

I don't like putting collar springs on the bar when I do squats, it doesn't let the plates clang against each other which I really like.

I hate it to the point where I want to yell when people don't rack their weights when done.

Vehicles
      10-24-2012 01:38 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Those aren't roids- it's TRT and not even close to the same thing.

Not sure if serious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast