Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Another Sunroof drain post

Vehicles
      mk5 rabbit coupe
      09-13-2012 05:52 AM #1
      Hey all, I have a mk5 rabbit, and I am getting the infamous "Clogged Sunroof Drain" scenario. I have a slight bit of water on the drivers floor, passenger side drain seems to be flowing just fine tho. It's going to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed, as I tried the "fishing" method using weed wacker string with no success.

So the drain is basically a piece of tubing that runs from the sunroof, to the inner fenders. Anyway, this is what I dont understand about these drains.... If the tubing gets plugged up, WHY does it leak in to the interior? My thought is that if you have a piece of tubing, it would build up to the top with water, and simply not accept any more water. So what causes it to leak in to the interior, and not just stay in the hose?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Corrado VRT
      09-27-2012 07:53 PM #2
      That is because the sunroof has a "trough" built into the frame. Which the sunroof drains are connected to. And at the bottom of the sunroof drains are rubber connectors which when they get full of water sometimes they get disconnected. Also the so called "trough" when the drains get clogged the trough overflows with water and leaks on the headliner which drains down the a pillar and then on the drivers and or passenger floors.

There should be a recall on all MK4's and MK5's for the sunroof drains. If there is any water damage VW should cover it.
      93 Corrado VRT
      66 Beetle 2332cc(drag car)

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      10-15-2012 01:01 AM #3
      There should be a little black nipple in the door jambs(front), so people trim them to help water flow.
      Pm me for any and all glass questions and inquires, or any VAG-COM needs.

"ITS A BAD TIME BOB!"