Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So no Ipad mini then huh?.....

Vehicles
      Mk1, Mk2, Mk6
      09-13-2012 05:09 PM #1
      Was hoping to see this yesterday. Mainly interested in how it will be priced/equipped compared to the Kindle Fire and others..... rumor mill is sometime in October.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      09-13-2012 07:20 PM #2
      They wouldn't have two huge launches in the same event. It's still coming out, but like you said, probably next month.

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      09-14-2012 12:14 AM #3
      It's better than Microsoft surface back in July Steve Ballmer holds a preview of the Windows RT Surface and then tells the world that the thing ships sometimes in November. Gee, thanks for telling us that.

4. 09-19-2012 01:21 PM #4
      $299 base? $349? Doubt they would match nexus 7/kindle fire at $199/$249.

5. 09-19-2012 01:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      Yeah I don't think they could even come close to that price point of the Nexus 7/kindle fire.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2012 02:02 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by b2m_vw View Post
      Yeah I don't think they could even come close to that price point of the Nexus 7/kindle fire.
      You'd be surprised though... Pundits didn't think the iPad could be less than 1k, and it came in at 500. Apple has huge power with its purchasing ability.

7. 09-19-2012 02:11 PM #7
      They could probably release it at $299 or less.. but there is a line to draw between max profit, and number of sales. Would they sell 25% more if the price were 25% cheaper? i.e. 10 mil units at $299 vs 7.5 mil units at $399? They have such high brand loyalty and name recognition I think they'd probably lose out on profit trying to price match other 7" tablets. History tells us people will pay the premium and be happy about it.

8. 09-19-2012 02:13 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      You'd be surprised though... Pundits didn't think the iPad could be less than 1k, and it came in at 500. Apple has huge power with its purchasing ability.
      I only say that because the new ipod touch now has a base price of $299/$399. Why would Apple sell the exact same device but BIGGER for the same or less? Then the Ipad starts for just $100 more at $499.
      Last edited by b2m_vw; 09-19-2012 at 02:17 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-19-2012 02:17 PM #9
      I only say that because the new ipod touch now has a base price of $299/$399. Why would Apple sell the exact same device but BIGGER for the same or less?
      True, but the new iPod touch also has the latest display tech which is why it's so expensive.

It's rumored that the mini iPad could start with a non retina display. Those things are crazy cheap now.

10. 09-19-2012 02:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      True, but the new iPod touch also has the latest display tech which is why it's so expensive.

It's rumored that the mini iPad could start with a non retina display. Those things are crazy cheap now.
      I could see that then.

11. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      09-19-2012 08:45 PM #11
      I only say that because the new ipod touch now has a base price of $299/$399. Why would Apple sell the exact same device but BIGGER for the same or less? Then the Ipad starts for just $100 more at $499.
      Apple sells the iPhone 5 for $20 more than an iPad 4G and they are pretty much the same device except for size.

Really small equates to more expensive. I think $299 for a non-Retina < 8" iPad is reasonable. It's also telling that Apple just stopped selling the original iPad but still sells the 2 for $399.

Vehicles
      01' GTI Vr6
      09-22-2012 11:54 AM #12
      I'm waiting for the mini to come out but i will probably be disappointed and get the new kindle fire. It's cheap and gets the job done. Probably will be cheaper than the iPad mini
      VRalliance #136
      Quote Originally Posted by GtIVR6-RJ View Post
      I want to get the lsd because with the tires and what not about this there when I round about 10.
      What with the hills couldnt keep the who now.

09-23-2012 04:03 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy Dubs It View Post
      I'm waiting for the mini to come out but i will probably be disappointed and get the new kindle fire. It's cheap and gets the job done. Probably will be cheaper than the iPad mini

Kindle Fire has always been a good little tablet with pretty darn good specs when compared with other tablets considering its price point. What made a lot of techies sad was that the Fire used a version of Android specific for Amazon, but now you can root your Kindle Fire and install a normal version of Android. However, Amazon never really marketed the Fire to compete with other tablets because of its small size and known capacity as an ereader/ebook... despite its pretty decent power.

However, the new lineup of HD Fires are even more impressive given the resolution, specs, features, and the great price. The 8.9 inchers flat out beat the Ipad 3 in several categories, and once again, at the price point that is impressive.

14. 09-24-2012 10:10 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy Dubs It View Post
      Nexus 7.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      09-24-2012 11:55 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      Kindle Fire has always been a good little tablet with pretty darn good specs when compared with other tablets considering its price point. What made a lot of techies sad was that the Fire used a version of Android specific for Amazon, but now you can root your Kindle Fire and install a normal version of Android. However, Amazon never really marketed the Fire to compete with other tablets because of its small size and known capacity as an ereader/ebook... despite its pretty decent power.

However, the new lineup of HD Fires are even more impressive given the resolution, specs, features, and the great price. The 8.9 inchers flat out beat the Ipad 3 in several categories, and once again, at the price point that is impressive.
      Other than a few minor features, I don't see the KF 8.9 besting the iPad 3.

- The software on the 8.9 is very sluggish, not an improvement from previous Kindle Fire.
      - Speaker is better, Amazon book store is better than iTunes
      - Amazon claim to have faster Wifi but tests from Anandtech reveals it's competitive but not clearly better
      - The Kindle Fire CPU/GPU worst than Nexus 7's Tegra 3 which the iPad 3 beats across the board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6246/a...d-fire-hd-7-89

I can't see Amazon making a huge run against the iPad charging $499/$599 for the 8.9 LTE versions while Apple is serving up $629+ for iPad 3 LTE but it's 10" vs 8.9"

The software is garbage on the KF, sluggish, boxed in, and you have to pay to remove ads. Majority of the people buying are not going to flash the device. The Amazon app store is pure garbage.

The sweet spot for Android tablet is $200-300. Most Android folks do not care about built in LTE service when hotspot is a feature on their smartphone.

The Nexus 7 is also a better choice than KF 7", so this year the competition is stiffer for Amazon not for Apple yet. I can't see Apple losing any marketshare this year once the iPad Mini is out, they will sell even more.

If the iPad Mini uses the same SOC as the iPhone 5, I assume so. It will be very tough to beat until next year. Not a single chip out today can match the A6.
      Last edited by Vision33r; 09-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.

09-25-2012 02:00 PM #16
      Yes I don't expect the Kindle to be near as advanced as the Ipad as far as what it can do. At least not when Amazon is wanting to keep the Kindle very simple which is a plus to some users while other users don't like it. But, there's plenty of people who think Apple's mobile OS are too simple too, so it's all relative to the user.

As far as the ads go, I use to have a Kindle Keyboard with "special features" (ads ) and they were not troublesome in the least because they were only present when the device was sleeping. I am guessing they are still using this method? Or are there visible ads when you are actually working on the device? I have not read anything on this.

I have to disagree with the Fire's OS being sluggish. IMO its a very snappy OS that shows good response throughout. Better than my Droid Bionic phone running on Ginger Bread for sure. I also like Amazon's app store apart from the limited number of apps when compared to Google Play and Itunes. Despite that I don't really use Amazon's app store because I use my Fire as a reader 90% of the time I am on it.

I can't see myself with a true tablet device anytime soon (I still see the Kindle Fire as an E-reader, maybe I'm in the minority though?) and I still go out and purchase real books while I use my Fire for free books. If I pay money for it then I want to be able to look at it on my bookshelves! I'm still a CD guy too for music.

09-25-2012 04:07 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      Other than a few minor features, I don't see the KF 8.9 besting the iPad 3.

- The software on the 8.9 is very sluggish, not an improvement from previous Kindle Fire.
      - Speaker is better, Amazon book store is better than iTunes
      - Amazon claim to have faster Wifi but tests from Anandtech reveals it's competitive but not clearly better
      - The Kindle Fire CPU/GPU worst than Nexus 7's Tegra 3 which the iPad 3 beats across the board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6246/a...d-fire-hd-7-89

I can't see Amazon making a huge run against the iPad charging $499/$599 for the 8.9 LTE versions while Apple is serving up $629+ for iPad 3 LTE but it's 10" vs 8.9"

The software is garbage on the KF, sluggish, boxed in, and you have to pay to remove ads. Majority of the people buying are not going to flash the device. The Amazon app store is pure garbage.

The sweet spot for Android tablet is $200-300. Most Android folks do not care about built in LTE service when hotspot is a feature on their smartphone.

The Nexus 7 is also a better choice than KF 7", so this year the competition is stiffer for Amazon not for Apple yet. I can't see Apple losing any marketshare this year once the iPad Mini is out, they will sell even more.

If the iPad Mini uses the same SOC as the iPhone 5, I assume so. It will be very tough to beat until next year. Not a single chip out today can match the A6.
      You do realize there is a Wifi only version that's $299 16GB0(just inside the sweetspot you mentioned) and $369 32GB.

Also from what I have seen about the Wifi quality is not really that it is much faster but that it works better at farther distances.

Otherwise I wouldn't buy for myself, but wouldn't put past getting it for a family member. I'm honestly tempted since I use Amazon Prime and they only have an app for the iPad and not Android even though the Kindle is android based.

18. 09-26-2012 10:42 AM #18
      Nexus 7.
      x2, have it, love it. Since I use Google Voice for my texting and don't call hardly at all, I've been leaving the phone at home and taking my N7 to work more and more.

19. 09-26-2012 02:24 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      You do realize there is a Wifi only version that's $299 16GB0(just inside the sweetspot you mentioned) and $369 32GB.

Also from what I have seen about the Wifi quality is not really that it is much faster but that it works better at farther distances.

Otherwise I wouldn't buy for myself, but wouldn't put past getting it for a family member. I'm honestly tempted since I use Amazon Prime and they only have an app for the iPad and not Android even though the Kindle is android based.
      What do you mean.. no amazon app for android? yes there is.

09-26-2012 02:33 PM #20
      Let me specify, There's no Android app for Amazon Instant Video.

21. 09-26-2012 02:47 PM #21
      gotcha.. yea I think it's a little strange too.. but it only came out a couple months ago, so I assume an Android version can't be far behind.

22. 10-11-2012 06:15 AM #22
      from what I read about 2 weeks ago that it will be announce in the first 10 days of November but I don't know exactly when

23. 10-23-2012 03:51 PM #23
      iPad mini. $329, $429, $529.. 16GB, 32GB, 64GB.

Nexus7 still looks mighty good at $200 (8GB) /$249 (32GB.. 16GB has been replaced) with it's higher DPI screen.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-23-2012 04:13 PM #24
      Especially with the rumored 3G option being announced Friday.

Cue Vision33r as to why we are dead wrong.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-23-2012 05:02 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      Especially with the rumored 3G option being announced Friday.
      Just 3G?

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-23-2012 05:35 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Just 3G?
      Sorry, HSPA/LTE
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

27. 10-23-2012 05:54 PM #27

Nexus7 still looks mighty good at $200 (8GB) /$249 (32GB.. 16GB has been replaced) with it's higher DPI screen.
      It depends on what you want it for.

I'm already neck deep in the apple ecosystem (OSX, iOS) so the iPad mini is perfect for me.

My guess is that it will be stronger than the Nexus 7 in benchmarking as it doesn't have to drive a retina display.

There's also a few apps (ForeFlight, for example) that aren't available to me on Android.

To each their own.

28. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-23-2012 08:27 PM #28
      I think the mini would be more compelling for a lot of people if it was $299. It's still a very good value though, as far as iPads go. Personally I have no use for smaller tablets and I would guess that the majority of them will be bought by people who balk at spending the extra money for a larger display.

10-23-2012 10:13 PM #29
      iPad mini is a skip for me since I already have ipad3. Saving my pennies for updated Thunderbolt Display, and retina 13 inch MacBook.

My 2010 iMac and MacBook Air are finally starting to show their age.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-24-2012 09:31 AM #30
      I'm really surprised my "New iPad" has already been superseded only 7 months later. That's unusual for Apple, though the improvements they made to "iPad with Retina Display" sound great.

I hadn't really thought about it until yesterday, but the iPad Mini is going to make a great Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. She likes going on Facebook and playing games on the desktop, but she has to go to a different room for that, and my father-in-law hogs it frequently. She also has an e-ink eReader that she's used to using. An iPad Mini is perfect for her. Set her Facebook up, tie it up to our AppleID to give her any Apps she needs, and she'd be pretty happy. It's also not as bulky or heavy (half the weight!) as the pricier iPads.

31. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-24-2012 09:49 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      It's also not as bulky or heavy (half the weight!) as the pricier iPads.
      I can't believe you used the word "bulky" to describe an iPad.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      10-24-2012 11:20 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I'm really surprised my "New iPad" has already been superseded only 7 months later. That's unusual for Apple, though the improvements they made to "iPad with Retina Display" sound great.

I hadn't really thought about it until yesterday, but the iPad Mini is going to make a great Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. She likes going on Facebook and playing games on the desktop, but she has to go to a different room for that, and my father-in-law hogs it frequently. She also has an e-ink eReader that she's used to using. An iPad Mini is perfect for her. Set her Facebook up, tie it up to our AppleID to give her any Apps she needs, and she'd be pretty happy. It's also not as bulky or heavy (half the weight!) as the pricier iPads.
      I'd love to get one of these for my mom as well, but unfortunately she does a lot of online banking and our bank has no mobile apps, nor does the bank's website allow mobile browsers to access your account which really sucks (Sovereign/Santander). I think I'm forced to buy her a cheap laptop which is really what she should get so she can save her digital camera pictures and what not to it.

It's a shame because the iPad mini would be perfect for her because she is so unbelievably technically challenged and computer illiterate that an iPad would be so easy for her to use for online shopping, Facebook, email, etc.

33. 10-24-2012 11:53 AM #33

I sit corrected. Looks like the 8GB Nexus7 is going bye bye and it will now be $199 for 16GB, and $249 for the new 32GB model. Also, prepare for a Nexus10 announcement very shortly, along with the next Nexus phone (by LG.. looks snazzy, quad core, etc) and Android 4.2

34. 10-24-2012 12:22 PM #34
      I sit corrected. Looks like the 8GB Nexus7 is going bye bye and it will now be $199 for 16GB, and $249 for the new 32GB model. Also, prepare for a Nexus10 announcement very shortly, along with the next Nexus phone (by LG.. looks snazzy, quad core, etc) and Android 4.2
      And still stuck with mostly blown up phone apps for their tablets.

If they want to be serious about the tablet market, they need to get their developers on the tablet app train.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-24-2012 12:39 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      I can't believe you used the word "bulky" to describe an iPad.
      I meant in weight and ease of one-hand holding. It does wear on the wrists after a bit. Half the weight is nothing to sneeze at, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chacolla View Post
      I'd love to get one of these for my mom as well, but unfortunately she does a lot of online banking and our bank has no mobile apps, nor does the bank's website allow mobile browsers to access your account which really sucks (Sovereign/Santander). I think I'm forced to buy her a cheap laptop which is really what she should get so she can save her digital camera pictures and what not to it.

It's a shame because the iPad mini would be perfect for her because she is so unbelievably technically challenged and computer illiterate that an iPad would be so easy for her to use for online shopping, Facebook, email, etc.
      Have you tried it in an iOS browser? Is there a link to click to display the original version of the webpage and not a mobile version? My bank's full webpage and online banking work just fine even without the apps on my iPhone and iPad, so I don't see why this one would be different.

I just tried the Sovereign Santander website on my iPhone and it got me to the login page just fine, for what it's worth. The only web content these things can't do are certain java applets and, obviously, Flash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast