Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Jetta TDI Transmission Failing...options?

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      09-13-2012 11:53 PM #1
      Hey guys. So the transmission in our TDI 1.9L is failing in reverse only. Car has 109k on it. It usually takes a second to engage when it's cold and or first thing in the morning and or afternoon when it's been sitting for a while, and if the engines warm, you have to really gas it to get it going. 3k rpm's min typically. Our mechanic said we'd need to do a complete rebuild costing close to 4k. I know or have read about doing a tranny swap over to manual but my wife doesn't know how to drive it and is too stubborn to learn at this point. So I'm trying to see if this is a fairly common problem and or find out if there's any other options for us. New wife isn't an option either.

Any thoughts or help would be awesome. Thanks guys.

heading off to do a search - figured i'd ask in the meantime. Apologies if it's been asked 100 times before.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      09-14-2012 12:07 AM #2
      pretty sure i got what i needed from the search but feel free to chime in if i'm missing something.

-5 speed swap or give up pretty much if you want it to actually last...
      -stay away from a rebuilt tranny from the shop - stick to a new or rebuilt from VW tranny if need be.
      -even new, or refurb'd auto tranny will fail again for sure in 80-100k

shame because the motor has low miles on it considering, i'm sure my wife would rather throw 4-5k towards a new car.

guess it's decision time.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-14-2012 09:36 AM #3
      Pretty much. The VW autos are junk, and coupled with the TDI they are even worse. You lose as much as 10mpg compared to the manual with an auto in the TDI and they typically are dead before 150k.

A 5-speed swap is probably half the price of putting in a new auto. We did one on our '01 this year...bought the car with a destroyed auto at 114k.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      09-14-2012 11:13 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      Pretty much. The VW autos are junk, and coupled with the TDI they are even worse. You lose as much as 10mpg compared to the manual with an auto in the TDI and they typically are dead before 150k.

A 5-speed swap is probably half the price of putting in a new auto. We did one on our '01 this year...bought the car with a destroyed auto at 114k.
      yeap thanks. engines in great working condition so hopefully something can be resolved.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      82 Caddy
      09-15-2012 06:57 AM #5
      Have you checked the fluid level? Low fluid can cause many problems

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      09-15-2012 10:34 PM #6
      yea, checked for low fluid. levels seemed fine.

thanks

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32, 2011 F250.
      10-06-2012 03:46 PM #7
      You could get Ryans 6 spd swap. Alot of people have it and love it.
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331943

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI, 1997 GTI 2.0-VRT project
      02-19-2014 10:18 AM #8
      My 01 tdi had the same issue in 1st, took it appart and installed a new 1-2 engage piston and seals and it's still good 12,000 miles later with the exception of a hard shift now and then. Cost me 250$ but that's if your willing to do the work yourself and I'm not sure how long it will last. Just an option to get you by
      Nothing says classy like a VW

9. Member
      02-20-2014 10:25 AM #9
      It never fails to leave me thinking "what the ****?" when people buy one of the worlds most economical cars... but buy the ****ing thing with an automatic. Thats like saying i want to be the world fitness champion, but eat mcdonalds all day every day. Doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Volkswagens aren't known for their auto transmissions, and auto transmissions aren't known for good mpg. A double whammy.
      Last edited by Volkswagens-for-life; 02-24-2014 at 08:55 AM.
      I85_305
      DO NOT EMAIL ME on here, my email address assigned to my username is inaccessible and I will never be able to get your emails.
      Buy my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 5spd http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...a-GLS-TDI-5spd

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 326K Miles.
      02-22-2014 09:27 AM #10
      I sympathize with you and your situation as when I was young our family went through a bad experience with a dead automatic trans at a difficult financial time which makes me dislike them to this day. We ended getting a scrapyard trans which for us lasted for the remainder of the car's life.

If I were you I would try two things before making a move:

Call Parts Place Inc. http://www.partsplaceinc.com/ who deals mostly with new and used VW parts; explain what you know about VW auto trans life and ask for their solution if they have one.

I have no interest in them but call ETE Reman http://etereman.com/ in Milwaukee to ask if they have been able to incorporate improvements to increase lifespan into a VW trans such as yours. They will not sell directly to you but are a successful, growing auto trans rebuilder here.

PS, listen for the happy talk too but you never know when you might learn something when you stir the pot, so to speak.
      Last edited by Tinker Toy; 02-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.