Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Curious throttle response

1. 09-14-2012 01:19 PM #1
      My 95 OBDI Jetta has a funny throttle response during shifting. Under acceleration, when I take my foot off the gas pedal and push the clutch in it revs higher by a few hundred rpm. Also, if I take my foot of the gas and leave the clutch engaged, there's about a one second delay before I sense deceleration. I checked the butterfly on the throttle body and it moves quite freely.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Vehicles
      1996 GTI VRT, 2005.5 Jetta TDI
      09-14-2012 01:25 PM #2
      Your throttle cable might be frayed, causing your cable to stay in a stuck position for a brief moment after you let off.

Mine did that when the cable was going bad until it eventually stuck for a lot longer.

3. 09-14-2012 09:51 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Alingarhs View Post
      Your throttle cable might be frayed, causing your cable to stay in a stuck position for a brief moment after you let off.

Mine did that when the cable was going bad until it eventually stuck for a lot longer.
      I wish it was that. I'm moving the butterfly at the throttle body which would be moving the cable as well and it's quite responsive.

I'm learning to get around it and actually leverage it. It's really only a below 3000 rpm issue. Above that, it largely stays at the RPM I lifted making for some really clean, hammer down shifting...ignoring the fact it's gutless....

Still, having owned this car for three months, I'm really enjoying it mostly for the simplicity. I went online and can't find anything with a bunch of worthless bells and whistles. I wish I'd known what I do now in 95 as I'd bought several and rotated them until I died.

Vehicles
      1996 GTI VRT, 2005.5 Jetta TDI
      09-15-2012 12:19 AM #4
      Trying cleaning out your throttle body with some carb cleaner spray and a rag. Its best to take the whole thing out. Make sure you let it adjust again before starting your car. Keep the key turned to the "on" position until you hear the humming stop.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      09-15-2012 07:19 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Alingarhs View Post
      Trying cleaning out your throttle body with some carb cleaner spray and a rag. Its best to take the whole thing out. Make sure you let it adjust again before starting your car. Keep the key turned to the "on" position until you hear the humming stop.
      He has a '95, it's an old-school cable throttle.

Sounds like a lazy ICV maybe?
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

6. 10-10-2012 12:38 AM #6
      The weird part about it is that if I leave the clutch engaged and back off ever so gently on the throttle, the RPMs actually INCREASE for a moment before they drop. It happens more when it's hot outside but I can feel the pedal move away and then come back when I'm bare footed.

Vehicles
      find me a caddy
      10-12-2012 05:12 PM #7
      Check for a vac leak and EGR function.