Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get better braking on the GLI without a BBK?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-02-2012 07:57 PM #36
      How much are you over driving your brakes? I find my brakes are more than adequate for everyday driving. Will I put on better pads and do some small upgrades when the time comes? Sure but the stock stuff isn't that bad.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      10-02-2012 08:05 PM #37
      I've used
      akebono ceramic-ok pads solid feel not amazing
      Ebc red stuff- great bite, low dust, fairly grippy but when you clamp em down they stop.
      Ebc yellow stuff- better grip, less cold braking feel. Noisy compared to red stuff but overall decent. Touch more dust nothing crazy though
      I'm going to try the stop tech pads that were just announced.
      This far I've really liked the red stuff on the rear and yellow up front.seems to be a great balance of stopping power and they're quiet.

Sent from the bottomless pits of HELL!
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!

3. 10-02-2012 08:55 PM #38
      Steel braided lines and better pads are the way to go. I have personal experience upgrading to steel braided lines on a few of my vehicles. They do work. Short of doing big brakes.

4. 10-02-2012 10:11 PM #39
      buddy upgraded to steel braided lines on his mk4 and that seemed to help alot, for a cheap and efficient upgrade.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      10-03-2012 06:15 AM #40
      Braided lines felt like nothing to me... That was the first thing i did all around new lines and motul rbf600 fluid did little imho

But to each their own i still think you cant get any better than the porsche boxster setup i am using. Its not like it takes upgrading everything. Its just the caliper and a carrier. Uses thefactory 312mm rotor but has 4 pistons instead of one. And the weigh much less than the oem calipers. I was able to pick up mine for less than 200bucks with 12 thousand miles on them. And the carriers were around 350 if i remember correctly. With that i have MANY more brake pad options and a simpler sturdier better system... All that for nearly what someone would spend on new pads, lines and tyrol bushings with new fluid and upgraded slotted rotors etc. think it over and it isnt that much more exoensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. 10-03-2012 07:15 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by TylerO28 View Post
      Braided lines felt like nothing to me... That was the first thing i did all around new lines and motul rbf600 fluid did little imho

But to each their own i still think you cant get any better than the porsche boxster setup i am using. Its not like it takes upgrading everything. Its just the caliper and a carrier. Uses thefactory 312mm rotor but has 4 pistons instead of one. And the weigh much less than the oem calipers. I was able to pick up mine for less than 200bucks with 12 thousand miles on them. And the carriers were around 350 if i remember correctly. With that i have MANY more brake pad options and a simpler sturdier better system... All that for nearly what someone would spend on new pads, lines and tyrol bushings with new fluid and upgraded slotted rotors etc. think it over and it isnt that much more exoensive

You start talking about doing a Porsche Boxter conversion you gotta add specifics. Years, parts, where you got them, etc!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI A/Nav DSG BLK
      10-03-2012 08:17 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by TylerO28 View Post

I agree with your solution as a wonderful idea. If we were planning on keeping/autoX'ing/tracking this car, I would be all over this.

We are seeking street performance, meaning instant (not repeated) stopping power. That comes down to tires and pads. This factory system in the GLI is descent enough to handle what we're looking for.

Tyler028, Great contribution to this thread!

aaron

10-04-2012 06:56 PM #43
      Porterfield has an R4-S application for the GLI. Again, probably the best street pads I've used. Had them in an 01 BMW 330 and produced an amazing amount of torque for a pad that is easy to live with on a daily basis.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/produc...roductID=12511
      2012 Tornado Red GTI Autobahn DSG with a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
      2014 Pepper Gray Tiguan SEL with a much prettier driver.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI A/Nav DSG BLK
      10-04-2012 11:22 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by shortybdub View Post
      Porterfield has an R4-S application for the GLI. Again, probably the best street pads I've used. Had them in an 01 BMW 330 and produced an amazing amount of torque for a pad that is easy to live with on a daily basis.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/produc...roductID=12511
      Easy to live with meaning no noise, etc?

They are very convincing on the website. I'll give them a call and look into them. ANyone else have any insight on these pads?

aaron

10. 10-05-2012 10:55 PM #45
      Tyler028,
      Don't get me wrong. Steel braided lines, pads n better fluid won't take 10ft off our stop distance but they do improve the pedal feel. Distance? I dunno. They do feel tighter tho.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      10-06-2012 04:06 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
      Tyler028,
      Don't get me wrong. Steel braided lines, pads n better fluid won't take 10ft off our stop distance but they do improve the pedal feel. Distance? I dunno. They do feel tighter tho.
      I'll give you that! For pedal feel, it does improve a bit

Sent from the bottomless pits of HELL!

10-06-2012 10:04 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by praecurvo View Post
      Easy to live with meaning no noise, etc?

They are very convincing on the website. I'll give them a call and look into them. ANyone else have any insight on these pads?

aaron
      Only noisy when they are stone cold, and even then its more of a "groan" than a "squeal". Once they are used, and have some warmth, dead quiet. A bit dusty, but not a sticky black dust like some Euro pads. Very easy to clean.
      2012 Tornado Red GTI Autobahn DSG with a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
      2014 Pepper Gray Tiguan SEL with a much prettier driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12