Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Do you ever 'stop' looking for a job?

1. 09-17-2012 01:39 AM #1
      Just wondering.

I am always looking at job postings and what they entail, but I have never applied since I am happily employed, though long hours/low pay make me always looking.

have you ever applied when 'just looking'?

There's an opening with a company I only ever dreamed about working in a field that I have dreamt of.

Any reason not to?

2. Member
      09-17-2012 10:53 AM #2
      No, never. I am very happily employed and have a hard time imagining a better position for myself, but I still network and make sure people I work with in other companies are aware of me. Randomly I look for postings on Indeed that match what I do to compare and see what companies are hiring.

3. 09-18-2012 01:09 PM #3
      Yeah, I'm tempted to apply for a couple of jobs right now, even though I'm happily employed (most of the time). The only real downside to my job is the pay (my boss acknowledges that I'm underpaid -he is too, actually I think a lot of people are right now).

The 2 jobs I've looked at are government jobs that require a clearance and they literally pay twice the amount I'm currently making. Plus, the benefits are really good and there's room for advancement. However, I'm not very motivated to apply because I know it will be more demanding, and I may have to work some crappy shifts.

That's the great thing about my current job, the flexibility. I'm constantly taking a few hours off early on Fridays, or taking entire days off with only a few days notice. I know I wouldn't be able to do that at those government jobs. I have a friend who has a very similar position and he is paid extremely well, but is on call, works Saturdays, and has to put in his time off weeks, even months in advance.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      09-18-2012 04:35 PM #4
      I haven't stopped looking for the last 16 years, I haven't found a place to cool my jets yet. It's also one of the reasons why I'm in the horrible situation that I'm in, but oh well. I'm always on the look out for the BBD, doesn't mean I'll find it mind you

5. Semi-n00b
      09-28-2012 01:29 PM #5
      Always looking, I'm never happy with what I have...also I'm way underpaid so I'm looking for something similar just with better pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      09-29-2012 12:36 AM #6
      i'm always looking, and i apply if i'm interested.

i graduated in 2010 with a BSMET, and a lot of companies will hire me as an ME, so i look for that. my current job, however, is far from anything related to what i did in school - i'm basically a glorified mechanic. there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not what i want to do for more than 18 months (rougly 11 months in). i basically accepted the job because some experience with a great company would look a lot better than no experience at all.

so i'm definitely always looking, especially for a smaller company that will hopefully have less bureaucratic crap to go through, and a company that is more in-line with my interests.
      welcome to the layer cake

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-02-2012 03:57 PM #7
      It's a two way street, most companies are always looking for talent when certain skills are needed they won't stop to replace current employees with newer ones. Standard business practice in employment at will states.

Vehicles
      2014 Audi A4 Quattro
      10-09-2012 03:18 PM #8
      I don't look. I let companies look for me.

The secret I've discovered is that we are, at all times, self employed.

Where we choose to work, who we choose to work for and how much we choose to earn is completely 100% up to us.