Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: win7 64 restarts after shutdown by itself???

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      09-17-2012 01:49 PM #1
      i2500k
      GA z68 udh3 b3
      M4 crucial SSD
      8gb ram
      no GPU

computer started retarting after shutdown through the start menu all by itself.

I've googled the problem and have tried two solutions so far with no results. One was a regedit and one was through settings neither have solved the problem.

I now have to shutdown with the case power button and the other night doing so blew out recognition of my c drive and upon restart it came up as a failure. I got things fixed through the system disk tools and repair so now it's back to recognizing the boot disk.

This problem can't be good for the SSD and the rest of it I imagine.

ANY help APPRECIATED, thanks...

Vehicles
      E36
      09-17-2012 03:13 PM #2
      sounds like you have a hardware/BIOS issue... If the OS is sending a shut down/halt signal it should turn off and not restart.

Obvious things to try would be unplug remove any unneeded peripherals and do a BIOS update. If none of that works, try a Linux live cd... if it does that with linux as well you have a hardware issue that more then likely the motherboard IMO.
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      09-17-2012 03:32 PM #3
      I had that issue with a Microsoft wireless mouse.

Somehow the wireless dongle would send or receive a signal from the mouse and the PC would either wake from sleep or would turn itself back on if it was turned off.

Removed the adapter and went to a different brand of mouse and it's not happened again.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 04:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      sounds like you have a hardware/BIOS issue... If the OS is sending a shut down/halt signal it should turn off and not restart.

Obvious things to try would be unplug remove any unneeded peripherals and do a BIOS update. If none of that works, try a Linux live cd... if it does that with linux as well you have a hardware issue that more then likely the motherboard IMO.
      the @bios utility is acting weird and not letting it update. I think I have to figure out how to do that through a thumb drive. GA switched it's bios recently and it was beta for a bit and I need to check if its a final version now or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Imota View Post
      Is this a desktop computer or a laptop? If it is the latter one its most probably that vents are too dusted if you were holding it on blankets and etc. you need to open it and remove any dust from the vents.If it is a desktop computer i had a similiar thing and it was caused by graphic card it had some kind of malfunction.Have you tried formatting it?
      desktop with no GPU. I'll try blowing it out first.

Thanks for comments folks...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-17-2012 05:00 PM #5
      Wonky power problems are normally caused by wonky power. I would look to your PSU before anything else.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-17-2012 05:50 PM #6
      It could be a program trying to update with a reboot.
      Does it do this when you exit from safe mode too?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 06:42 PM #7
      haven't tried safe mode, thanks for that idea

09-18-2012 09:48 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by valfaw View Post
      the @bios utility is acting weird and not letting it update. I think I have to figure out how to do that through a thumb drive.
      Find the bootable CD or USB instructions for updating the BIOS. Those BIOS utilities that run under Windows never work correctly.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 02:13 PM #9
      UPDATE - computer shuts down correctly in safe mode per the suggestion to try that.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-19-2012 07:02 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by valfaw View Post
      UPDATE - computer shuts down correctly in safe mode per the suggestion to try that.
      That means it is a software or driver issue.

You might check your installed programs list (under remove programs) and see if something updated right when this started happening.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      09-20-2012 02:39 PM #11
      So no BSOD's at all? And safe mode is ok?

I would go to the manufacturer and update the drivers. Maybe it was a Windows update driver that caused the issue? I have seen that happen a lot.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      09-20-2012 09:17 PM #12
      no BSOD's since I swapped ram manufacturer's a few months ago. I built this last feb/mar and after the ram swap have been issue free until this became prevalent the last month or so. It started intermittently and has subsequently become a permanent issue.

I updated a few of the drivers after googling that as a possible solution and didn't have any luck with that route. I did the chipset drivers and a few others to make sure all were/are current. The only thing I haven't had luck updating is the bios yet.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-21-2012 12:34 PM #13
      You built this PC?

Check with the mobo manufacturer to see if there is a hardware way to reset the bios back to factory settings.
      I know in the old days you could remove the cmos battery, but now it is stored is stable flash ram.