Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New or Old - Long arms every American should own... ??

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      09-17-2012 05:52 PM #1
      So, I'm making a couple long gun purchases. While I'm at it, I'm trying to get as many long guns on the $25 DROS fee as I can (i can have as many long guns on one DROS as I want).

With the way things are going in this country, I see no reason to wait.

So, what are some long guns that i should really try to get in my "cabinet?" Guns that are enthusiast "must buys" or at least really good to have. Can be hunting rifles, military arms, specialty guns, anything. For any reason - action, chambering, special utility, etc. Rough budget restriction would be say, under $1500 per gun, but no hard rules (I figure that number should allow for some relatively unique/nice guns without being ludicrous).

I currently have rem700vtr, ptr91, several ARs in piston and DI form, may have an sks (mainly to be able to shoot russian 30-cal), ruger 10/22, .177 air rifles, benelli super nova shottie. I have a few handguns also, but that's outside the topic.

The new purchases will be a ruger gunsite scout (I'm intrigued by the scout concept), and rem870 tactical shottie.

Generally, my guns tend to range from utilitarian to weapon in function, largely as relating to survival value. Funny enough, while I am very interested in long range precision shooting/sniping, it is not something I particularly see much need to invest in. Especially from a survival point of view, I dont expect a lot of need for making 800m or 1000yard shots, unless I'm making offensive martial actions.

I want to restrict the discussion to long guns only (in CA at least, there are no limits on long gun purchases).

Guns I'm considering:
      New Savage Model 42

Guns I'm interested in and wondering about:
      5.7x28mm carbine - PS90 only? Cartridge of any real value?

Lever actions?

A friend suggested I should look at a 7mm Rem Mag bolt gun.
      Last edited by RogueTDI; 09-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.

2. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      09-17-2012 06:34 PM #2
      What I would suggest:

-Something suppressed.
      -Something select fire.
      -Something large bore.

Damn. You're in CA. Sorry. Maybe just "something that scares hippies and Democrats?"

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      09-17-2012 07:20 PM #3
      Pre-Remington Marlin 336 stainless 30-30. Possibly one of the prettiest rifles I've ever seen and shot, and a classic lever action. Hell, everybody should own a Marlin, they have charm unlike any other gun I've come across. Doesn't have to be a 336, doesn't even matter what caliber or finish, there's just something about them....to me anyways.
      Last edited by Señor Peligro; 09-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
      Now go get your shinebox

4. 09-17-2012 07:31 PM #4
      I have a large list of guns I think everyone should fire, but not necessarily own...does that count?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      09-17-2012 07:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      I have a large list of guns I think everyone should fire, but not necessarily own...does that count?
      Mostly interested in what's worth having, but yeah, I'd like to see your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      What I would suggest:

-Something suppressed.
      -Something select fire.
      -Something large bore.

Damn. You're in CA. Sorry. Maybe just "something that scares hippies and Democrats?"

obin

Yes, I think anything I'm interested in will meet that benchmark. Believe me, Im getting very tired of this state...

My philosophy of selecting guns has generally followed the pattern of, identify a "class" or type of gun, then seek out one of the best renditions. Example, 308 main battle rifle - I looked at Springfield M1A, HK91, FAL, etc. Made a choice. Everything after that is optional. And also for example, recently got the 870 Express, because it's just one of those guns that is so mainstream and popular and tried and true - I had to have one. And generally otherwise, I tend to look at a gun and decide if it has some distinct trait or advantage I want to own.

Right now I'm wondering what advantage there would be to owning a lever action rifle. They are interesting, they are cool, they have lots of history... But do they do something a standard bolt action wont? While I like a collector gun, I also hope for some function. I'm also interested in relic guns, ww2 items. My interest in the scout concept has drawn me toward picking up an Enfield Jungle Carbine if I can find one.
      Last edited by RogueTDI; 09-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2014 4Runner SR5
      09-17-2012 07:49 PM #6
      I would second the Marlin 336 in 30-30.

7. 09-17-2012 08:50 PM #7
      every american should own at least one .22lr rifle. marlin model 60 is my vote. for that, many will say the 10/22 but in my experience the 60 out of the box is a better rifle.

I'd probably also suggest a 30 cal bolt action rifle, .308 probably being the most useful.

a Mosin Nagant if you don't have one, check the bore and crown. some are tack drivers.... some not so much.. all are fun and the cheapest high power cal you'll ever see.

I personally also enjoy pistol caliber carbines. marlin model 9 camp, beretta CX4, 9mm AR but being in CA your limited in capacity so they wouldn't be quite as fun.

last thing I would want (I don't have yet) is a lever action.. but I'm pretty sure the rifleman made it about as american as apple pie and bald eagles!

to answer your question about the 5.7x28.. meh, ballistically to longer ranges its a step up from .22mag.. but is much more expensive, and in a rifle length weapon its nothing like a .223, and its still more expensive to shoot (interesting idea, but I don't see any usefulness.)

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      09-18-2012 12:17 AM #8
      As a fellow CA resident, I'd say:

-Marlin 336; 30-30 is a classic American cartridge in a classic American levergun.

-.357/.38 levergun; if you don't like 30-30, get one of these and pair with a revolver.

-Skip the PS90... Ammo is neutered, the only company that produced decent defensive rounds is no longer around, and it's expensive for both platform and ammo.

-Mini-14; no Bullet Button required in stock configuration, newer series are accurate, and the classic combo of Wood/Blued/Garand action with .223/5.56 makes for a great general purpose rifle. I love mine.

-M1 Garand; Classic Americana; who wouldn't want the greatest battle implement ever devised?

-Howa1500; amazing out-of-the-box boltgun that's a great value and a great package in a variety of calibers.

-Marlin 60/795; I know you have a 10/22 but get the other great .22 plinker.

-FAL; I know you have the PTR91, maybe compliment it with the right arm of the free world and share ammo.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

9. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      09-18-2012 09:41 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post
      Yes, I think anything I'm interested in will meet that benchmark. Believe me, Im getting very tired of this state...
      If I lived in California (which I hope I NEVER do because one visit was enough for me) Then I would own at the very least:

1) - Highly accurate .22 rifle
      2) - Highly accurate carbine
      3) - Long distance rifle
      4) - Shotgun suitable for defense or hunting
      5) - Target shooting handgun
      6) - Defensive handgun

Of course I might own two or ten of each category but I believe that those 6 should be the bare minimum.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      09-18-2012 02:59 PM #10
      M1 Carbine.

Vehicles
      2009 Volkswagen Rabbit
      09-18-2012 05:15 PM #11
      You already mentioned SKS but I figure I'd drop these beautiful eastern European blondes in here:

09-18-2012 08:59 PM #12
      If you are looking for a new Marlin, I suggest you look elsewhere, like a CZ or Savage. Marlin's quality have really declined since their buyout and subsequently, closing of the factory. Everything I believe is now made in Remington's facilities.
      War Eagle!

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      09-20-2012 10:09 AM #13
      I know very little about specific brands and the market particulars, but I think a 12-guage coach gun fits your criteria nicely. I feel it is a must buy for any firearm enthusiast and is one of those "Americana" type firearms like a lever-action 30-30. Plus you can get one with a fair amount of custom artwork, so instead of owning a basic, blued-steel wood stock side-by-side you can have something that's a decent show piece.

Something a little outside the box, have you considered black powder? That, I feel, is another must-have for any enthusiast. Me personally, I'd have to go with a flintlock pistol and rifle combination for no real reason other than I think the action looks a little prettier than a snap-cap, especially with a little custom engraving.

Plus, I think every male gun owner at one point has had some delusions and fantasies of dueling and pirates, and who wouldn't want to own that piece of nostalgia? They're also plenty of clones and such out there so it's a relatively cheap market to get into and you can rest assured that any custom work won't butcher the resale value. And lastly, there shouldn't be any waiting period, even in CA, on a blackpowder gun since the ATF doesn't classify them as a firearm.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee, '04 Mazda 3
      09-21-2012 12:01 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      -M1 Garand; Classic Americana; who wouldn't want the greatest battle implement ever devised?
      This.