Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Question for those that know SMS and XML

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      09-17-2012 08:55 PM #1
      I posted this in the computer forum, but I'm going to post it here to see if I get any additional info.

Here's the problem. I had to replace my HTC Thunderbolt w/ another (warranty replacement). The VZW tech used the SMS Backup & Restore app to backup all of my text messages. The problem is, when they restored the messages, I have multiple instances of duplicate sent messages. I have one 'conversation' that is pretty long, that I don't want to lose, but it now takes forever to load when I'm trying to send or receive a message. I think it's related to the fact that there are so many duplicate messages in the conversation. SMS B&R writes the SMS data out to an XML file. I've been able to open it in Excel, and delete the duplicate records, but I can't figure out how to save it back as an XML file. Can someone suggest a better editor, or a way to do this in Excel? I'd be happy to send the XML file off to anyone that could help. TIA

Vehicles
      indeed!
      09-17-2012 09:49 PM #2
      xml is going to be in a text file format typically. No idea why you are editing in excel.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      09-18-2012 07:28 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      xml is going to be in a text file format typically. No idea why you are editing in excel.
      Because so far, it's the thing I've found that makes it easiest to eliminate the duplicate records. The thought of manually going through 11k plus records, to pull the duplicates, is not very appealing.