Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does anyone know??

1. 09-17-2012 08:56 PM #1
      Does anyone know or can tell me where to find out what's the difference in a dyq and ecv trans as they both came in an 98 beetle thanks.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-18-2012 11:05 AM #2
      My chart shows dyq being 98 and ecv being 99.

But the gear ratios and clutch packs, and valve body are coded the same.

The converter seems to be the same. But there are two versions of the converter, just make sure you use the converter in the same unit. Dont swap them between the two.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 09-18-2012 08:25 PM #3
      First i'd like to say thanks for the reply.I wonder if you would have to use the computor from the ecv trans.I wouldn't mind if i had to change some sensors and a computor, there's that much difference in the price here.I can get a ecv for 650 and a dyq is over 1000 plus shipping from half way across the country.What ever happened to the transmissions that if they bolted to the engine they worked.Man this is frustrating.

4. 10-04-2012 07:27 PM #4
      With coolair's info I decided to do some searching in the scrap yards.My daughters car is a 98 beetle with a dyq and the evc's has all the same gear ratios.I was able to find a 99 beetle in the scrap yard with an evc transmission and the same 2.0 engine and the same code tcm so I can't think of any reason that that transmission wouldn't work in her car. what do think?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      10-04-2012 11:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by richie m View Post
      With coolair's info I decided to do some searching in the scrap yards.My daughters car is a 98 beetle with a dyq and the evc's has all the same gear ratios.I was able to find a 99 beetle in the scrap yard with an evc transmission and the same 2.0 engine and the same code tcm so I can't think of any reason that that transmission wouldn't work in her car. what do think?
      Should be fine if the TCM P/N are the same. Not sure what kind of problem you are having, but you might want to make sure the problem is not in the harness wiring before you replace the transmission.

Be sure to follow CoolAirVWs advice about the TC, and check out his site for lots of other 01M info:
      http://kansascitytdi.com/