Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Buick Regal Wagon for 2014?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      09-17-2012 09:06 PM #1
      A Regal/Insignia wagon was recently spied testing in the US desert accompanied by some other Buicks, and wearing Buick GS wheels. Is it safe to assume Buick is thinking about adding a Regal wagon finally?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...agon-spy-shots

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      09-17-2012 09:29 PM #2
      Do wagons sell in China? If so, I could maybe see it.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-17-2012 10:00 PM #3
      lol

Would consider this if it came.

4. Swallow Doretti
      09-17-2012 10:32 PM #4
      Not going to happen.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Buick Regal GS, 2015 Cadillac Escalade
      09-18-2012 07:56 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Not going to happen.
      Nothing to see here.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      09-18-2012 11:43 AM #6
      I think Buick needs to find a space for the Regal between the Verano and LaCrosse sedans, both of which have been clobbering the Regal in the sales department. Adding a wagon (and maybe eventually a coupe) could be a good way to make the Regal stand out amongst it's brothers. It might also explain why Buick has such a size gap between the large 3-row seater Enclave CUV and the tiny Encore CUV. A traditional wagon fills that gap quite nicely.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Caprice
      09-18-2012 11:52 AM #7
      I need more models to sell, but no I don't think it will happen.
      < Dan >

1996 Caprice - Ugly and Nasty

"Vortex Minecraft Server" - Handle "Duallie"

09-18-2012 11:55 AM #8
      For some reason I'm liking this better than the CTS-V wagon

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      09-18-2012 11:57 AM #9
      please god, make it AWD with the 2.0L DI turbo
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

09-18-2012 12:39 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Not going to happen.
      x2

Looks like GM is just doing some cooling system testing for the upcoming Insignia facelift.

Vehicles
      '12 Beetle Turbo
      09-18-2012 12:45 PM #11
      Do want.

12. Swallow Doretti
      09-18-2012 12:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      I think Buick needs to find a space for the Regal between the Verano and LaCrosse sedans, both of which have been clobbering the Regal in the sales department. Adding a wagon (and maybe eventually a coupe) could be a good way to make the Regal stand out amongst it's brothers. It might also explain why Buick has such a size gap between the large 3-row seater Enclave CUV and the tiny Encore CUV. A traditional wagon fills that gap quite nicely.
      The market for this wagon would be tiny. During the first eight months of this year, Honda has managed to only move 2,736 TSX wagons. Those incremental sales might make sense if Buick was still importing the Regal from Europe, but now that it's not, the choices it has: either set up production here, or go back to importing the wagons from Europe at a heftier premium over the sedan. Neither of those are appealing.

What Buick really needs to do is get a RDX competitor based off of the next-generation Equinox. And before anyone suggests reworking the Saab 9-4X as a Buick, GM has already chosen instead to make that the next-generation Chevy Captiva, to replace the Saturn Vue-based model currently being built.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-18-2012 12:51 PM #13
      A midsize SUV would do better. Anyone know why they haven't made one already? Say based off the nox, but shaped like the X6 (w/ the sloped rear)?

Edit: swallow beat me
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

09-18-2012 01:07 PM #14
      The problem Buick has is not that Regal is caught in the middle, it's that LaCrosse is too small. When the Epsilon II cars were in the design stages, Opel still had too much say in product development and they insisted on the Insignia being small-ish while GM China and US both wanted a bigger car. Thus the program was split between LaCrosse and Insignia. The backup plan was to sell the Insignia as a Saturn (China was not slated to get the Regal until very late in the development program as a way to cover the shrinking volume from Opel). As result of this compromise, LaCrosse ended up being a little smaller than Buick really wanted. The new Impala/XTS is really want Buick wanted for LaCrosse in terms of size.

For the Epsilon III program, there is no doubt that Buick will make the Regal the size of the current LaCrosse, and will make the LaCrosse in the same length/width as the Impala/XTS. Opel's opinion on the matter will probably be irrelevant for the next go around, especially since the non-premium brand C/D size car market in Europe has basically collapsed, and their replacements are all moving to full D size (e.g. Mondeo, Passat, Laguna, 407 all have or will be replaced by a bigger car).

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-18-2012 01:13 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      The problem Buick has is not that Regal is caught in the middle, it's that LaCrosse is too small. When the Epsilon II cars were in the design stages, Opel still had too much say in product development and they insisted on the Insignia being small-ish while GM China and US both wanted a bigger car. Thus the program was split between LaCrosse and Insignia. The backup plan was to sell the Insignia as a Saturn (China was not slated to get the Regal until very late in the development program as a way to cover the shrinking volume from Opel). As result of this compromise, LaCrosse ended up being a little smaller than Buick really wanted. The new Impala/XTS is really want Buick wanted for LaCrosse in terms of size.

For the Epsilon III program, there is no doubt that Buick will make the Regal the size of the current LaCrosse, and will make the LaCrosse in the same length/width as the Impala/XTS. Opel's opinion on the matter will probably be irrelevant for the next go around, especially since the non-premium brand C/D size car market in Europe has basically collapsed, and their replacements are all moving to full D size (e.g. Mondeo, Passat, Laguna, 407 all have or will be replaced by a bigger car).
      Great info
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      09-18-2012 02:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

In addition to the size issue, you also have the price issue with the LaCrosse. It was designed to be a $27,000 car, Buick's cheapest model. Now it is pulling duty as their most expensive sedan with 2 sedans underneath it that were never intended to be underneath it in the US when the LaCrosse was conceived. There is only so much they can charge for it without it coming off as overpriced. Even if it wasn't much bigger but had a much more oppulent interior and price I think it would give the Regal some much needed breathing room.

Like you said next go around I see the Regal being LaCrosse-sized, but with a slightly sportier look than the LaCrosse but more in line with current Buick styling than the current model, priced about where it is priced now. The LaCrosse's wheelbase will stretch - addressing the issue with the XTS and Impala - and get a bigger trunk. Add in a more upscale interior and technology, and start off with a base price of $34,000.
      Last edited by GTRaavv; 09-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Vehicles
      GOAT. Bicycle.
      09-18-2012 02:26 PM #17
      <3 these, saw a lot in England

Vehicles
      2013 GMC Terrain, 2008 Jetta 2.5
      09-18-2012 02:43 PM #18
      I saw an Opel Insignia wagon with M plates driving around Metro Detroit a few weeks back. No camo. Car looked really really nice.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      09-18-2012 04:20 PM #19
      I love wagons, but could care less for the opel (buick) regal wagon.

And TSX wagon doesnt sell due to a variety of factors
      1.too much money (relative to crossovers of similar size)
      2. no advertising
      3.Auto only...I assume enthusiasts usually buy wagons. Big mistake not selling it with a stick

I think a wagon could work in NA, but you need to stack all the odds in your favor (Take the golf wagon, for example)
      Z is pronounced ZED

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      09-18-2012 05:49 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      I love wagons, but could care less for the opel (buick) regal wagon.

And TSX wagon doesnt sell due to a variety of factors
      1.too much money (relative to crossovers of similar size)
      2. no advertising
      3.Auto only...I assume enthusiasts usually buy wagons. Big mistake not selling it with a stick

I think a wagon could work in NA, but you need to stack all the odds in your favor (Take the golf wagon, for example)
      Most wagons I see are driven by women with their realtor signs in the back. I suppose most wagons (performance models excluded) sell to the couple hundred women out there that want SUV size without SUV ride height.
      PSN: PhilipGTI
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

21. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      09-18-2012 05:52 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      For some reason I'm liking this better than the CTS-V wagon
      I'm liking it better than all the annoying SU-Pigs and cross-dressers that mommy has turned into her makeshift station wagon.

22. 09-18-2012 05:52 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      please god, make it AWD with the 2.0L DI turbo
      exactly , but not gonna happen. 10 million kinds of 4x4 suvs,cuvs for sale but not one smallish boosted wagon except maybe an a3 or something