Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Continuing the stuck at home and massively injured thread...

1. Member
      09-17-2012 11:40 PM #1
      Not my video, my chest cam sadly stopped recording about 30-45 seconds before all this (full card)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGm0tUerV4
      Skip to 9:35. The jump into the berm to the bridge is right there that I reference below

Theres a large step-down jump before the bridge. I came into it way too hot and jumped to flat. Landed so hard it put my body into the handlebars. At that point I was a out of control bullet train. I made a spit second decision to grab a handfull of front brake and wash the front tire out and take my chances flying/tumbling rather than going over the cliff with my weight over the front of the bike.

I was able to somewhat fly towards that first big beam on the rightside of the bridge, I tried grabbing for it but was moving so fast through the air that I couldnt hold on. It basically then flipped me backwards over the cliff. At some point then I either smashed my knee into a rock or the ground at the bottom. When we got my kne pads off my knee cap was completely on the side of my leg. Ambulance trip and ride to the hospital resulted in X-Rays and some tests that determined I have torn my ACL, MCL and LCL ligaments entirely, as in they no longer exist) and well as dislocated my knee and fractured my tibia. Tomorrow is my first Ortho appointment where we get to evaluate when/where/how surgery happens.

Two quotes from dudes on RM regarding the crash.
      "To crash there and end up down on Duffman, holy sh1t man! Healing vibes for sure, that's a hell of a crash."

"Thats a fair way to rag doll, and that "step down" is a bit ridiculous, requires a serious brake check and so does the bridge after."

In this photo, I went between the bridge and the tree on the right.

..and in this photo it's looking at the bridge from below. I landed in the bottom on the other side of the bridge.
      card carrying autocrat.

my sofa pulls out, but I don't.

2. 09-18-2012 04:51 PM #2
      Yeouch man. I've wadded myself up a few times at Whistler, but never as hard as that.

Kinda funny how you sit around all busted up just waiting until you're better enough to go do it all over again, eh?

Hope you're all better for next season!
      For best results, experience reality in moderation.

3. Member
      09-18-2012 05:32 PM #3
      hopefully the new robo knee i'll end up with will make things all better.
      card carrying autocrat.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      09-18-2012 06:52 PM #4
      Welcome to the cripple club! That wreck sounds terrible man. I hope all goes well with your first appointment. I had knee surgery last November and it isn't much fun. I'm sure all the guys on here will help ya out in any way they can though.

If you don't already have one, get yourself an xBox and we can play online or something. Haha
      oh herro.

5. Member
      09-18-2012 08:38 PM #5
      thanks, im no stranger to injuries and downtime. I think i've owned 5 or 6 xbox's. Buy when hurt, sell when better.

First appointment was a waste really, too much swelling to get and flex from my acl, bone fragment he thinks is brom where my acl snapped off the tibia. MCL is wasted though, He said he could probably flex my leg 45º laterally without any issues. He thinks my LCL might be ok, just slightly torn.

2 weeks I have a return where swelling will have subsided and he can get a better idea of the exact damage.
      card carrying autocrat.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      76 Rabbit 1.8t, 04 New Beetle 1.8t
      10-07-2012 10:56 AM #6
      Sounds like you'll be messed-up for awhile. Bummer, douche bag. You can't even ride a bicycle

correctly.

7. Member
      10-07-2012 12:25 PM #7
      dont be mad because you're such a **** no one wants to buy your car. You come to Whistler, follow me down Goats Gully. If you ride out of it I'll pay for your ****ing trip chump.
      Last edited by blackohio; 10-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.
      card carrying autocrat.

Vehicles
      Fresh Since 2002
      10-07-2012 11:17 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by richardbachman View Post
      Sounds like you'll be messed-up for awhile. Bummer, douche bag. You can't even ride a bicycle

correctly.
      get out of the pnw forums you ass hat. we don't need this bs. keep it in ct
      DCI GTI G60

9. Member
      10-08-2012 02:04 AM #9
      So, 3 weeks out, I'm walking about without a brace on, leg is getting stronger, MCL is still hosed and ACL is gone, but I can actually walk around slowly on it.

However there was a gnarly side effect of the crash. Where I hit my leg on (i assume) the bridge post there was massive subdermal bleeding and bruising that resulted in a massive hemtoma that became infected. Woke up and my knee was huge, red and hot and causing a unreal amount of pain as well as a 100º fever. Quick trip to the ER, some pain pills and antibiotics and a few days I was better. The swelling is going down and the infection/pain is gone.

This is the day before the fever.

In the ER, obviously you can see the infection.

and this last little gem, this is what no MCL looks like.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...1498018&type=2
      card carrying autocrat.

10. 10-08-2012 12:10 PM #10
      Damn dude, that sucks balls. I hope you're able to get healed up soon. BTW, I saw your bike on another forum, and drooled heavily. Do want, but can't afford right now.

I just popped my shoulder out again up at Stevens Pass (stupid mistake). I'm not "massively" injured, but off the mountain bike and dirt bike for a while.

P.S. Don't feed the trolls.

For best results, experience reality in moderation.

11. Member
      10-08-2012 03:40 PM #11
      bummed to be selling it, but DH is outta my line of sight for awhile. In the last 2 years i've awarded myself a gIII shoulder separation, 4 broken ribs and now the knee. Gotta learn to throttle down a bit.

The bright side is that i'll be building a Uprising here shortly and will hopefully be racing the NW enduro series next year. Once the leg is up to the task I'll buy another Undead.

really is a beautiful bike isnt it.
      card carrying autocrat.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 GTi GLX VR6
      10-11-2012 03:55 AM #12
      I'd rather be stuck at home do to a sweet mountain biking accident than being stuck at home because I am unemployed hahah

13. Member
      10-11-2012 03:31 PM #13
      well im a freelance graphic designer, so it's kinda like being unemployed.
      card carrying autocrat.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      10-11-2012 03:45 PM #14
      Is there gonna be any permanent ramifications to this accident? Meaning will ur leg be 100% operational after its healed up?

Vehicles
      1991 GLI
      10-11-2012 10:38 PM #15
      Dang! Whistler sure does break people off. Glad to see you are healing up. Does all this mean you have more time to make more car prints?
      P O W W W W D E R R R E D T O A S S T M A N N N N N N N N N

BRIANEDWARDTUCKER.com <--- check out my website!

16. Member
      10-11-2012 11:24 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by nodashi View Post
      Is there gonna be any permanent ramifications to this accident? Meaning will ur leg be 100% operational after its healed up?
      Well my right leg, even post-surgery will never be quite as strong as my left. If Im lucky and heal well and have good PT. I can expect probably 75-80% of it's former strength. In the time between now and surgery theres a good possibility I could damage the meniscus. Which is an additional surgery with fixing the ACL.

My mcl/lcl will scar over and heal up, however there will always be play there even after healed. Which will mean I'll have to wear a knee brace while riding to help stabilize my knee where weak or non-existant ligament are. With all the damage it's really easy right now to place my weight wrong and buckle my leg and re-tear anything healed.

I'm only 4 weeks out and already can walk without a brace, but I can easily get my leg to buckle if I step wrong. I have about 50º range of motion in my knee before I'm in pain. Each day, stretching helps and if I stick to it i'll be back on the big bike sometime next year. I should be able to pedal around town next month if all goes well.

-stab
      I've been working on this, but with the piling medical bills no idea when I'll be able to cover the $700 printing costs.

card carrying autocrat.