Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need a vitamin suggestion for long demanding trip

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      09-18-2012 10:30 AM #1
      Going to Spain next week and I'll be doing a 500 or so mile trek over a month. I'm an extremely picky eater and the most common foods they eat over there are not kosher with my stomach or gag reflex. I smell fish and it will be worse than the puke scene in Team America. Any vitamins or supplement I can take with me that will help balance out the lack of certain foods that will be helpful for the physical demands of this trip?! Thanks guys n gals.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

2. 09-18-2012 11:26 AM #2
      Isn't part of the fun of going abroad trying the food of other cultures?

But if you really can't stomach it I would say just stock up on protein bars/powders. Vitamins aren't really going to do **** for you if you're not eating enough.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 12:20 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Isn't part of the fun of going abroad trying the food of other cultures?

But if you really can't stomach it I would say just stock up on protein bars/powders. Vitamins aren't really going to do **** for you if you're not eating enough.
      Maybe for some people, but not me. Carrying powders isn't an option as I'm going to have nothing but a 45 liter back pack for 32 days. I'm sure I'll be eating enough to keep from being hungry, but I'm not going to be able to have a plate of sirloin strips or chicken brest like I do here everyday.
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      09-18-2012 01:46 PM #4
      Do they not eat beef or chicken in Spain? I hate seafood with a passion but seafood is typically far tastier in foreign countries just because of all the great spices they use.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 02:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
      Do they not eat beef or chicken in Spain? I hate seafood with a passion but seafood is typically far tastier in foreign countries just because of all the great spices they use.
      They do, but what I'm doing involves walking from town to town, sometimes staying in villages that don't have restaurants and only small shops. I'm also budgeting a certain amount of cash for the trip and having to pay about 15-20 bucks a night for the hostel I can't spend the same for a meal eating out.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

6. 09-18-2012 07:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      They do, but what I'm doing involves walking from town to town, sometimes staying in villages that don't have restaurants and only small shops. I'm also budgeting a certain amount of cash for the trip and having to pay about 15-20 bucks a night for the hostel I can't spend the same for a meal eating out.
      You didn't say which region you were going to be visiting. I lived in Andalucia for close to a year.

Easy snacks, and fairly cheap:
      Jamon y queso. A slice of Serrano ham (thin, cured, with a slightly waxy feel) and a slice of manchego cheese. Delicious.
      Sliced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
      Or just bread with olive oil and salt.

If you do find yourself in a city, tapas bars are a good place to get cheap (and delicious) food, and a great place to meet people.
      OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-18-2012 09:20 PM #7
      Everyone I know who's been to Spain says the food is awesome. I would think there would be reasonably accommodating options for even non adventurous eaters. As Wagenbob says, there's tons of spanish bread, cheese, meat combinations.

I suppose the real issue here is that your body isn't going to run out of vitamins or minerals over the course of the trip. You can go years on minimal nutrition before you get scurvy or rickets. On the other hand, if you don't eat enough, you'll feel that in days. Nothing you pack is going to sustain you for weeks at a time. Heck, a day's worth of MRE's can take up half a backpack.

What I'm getting at is... eat the local food. Nothing you pack will be able to add up to enough to help you out more than as a snack.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-18-2012 09:49 PM #8
      Camino Frances?

You can do powders. Of course you wouldn't carry it all at one time. You'd do mail drops. The toughest part I think will be that you'll have to buy it there, or at least find an online shop there that will ship it to a place that will hold it until you arrive.

The chances of needing to supplement protein is very slim. Chances are that you'll be eating 4000 calories or more a day. It's damn hard to eat a diet that won't give you very high levels of protein when you're eating that much food. Put together a spreadsheet and you'll almost certainly find that protein supplementation isn't worth it.

In any case, the one powder I'll recommend is Nestle Nido. It's powdered whole milk. We have it here, but supposedly the european version is higher quality. That will give you plenty of protein and calories and taste great too.

As far as vitamins, without knowing what you'll be deficient in, it's difficult to know what vitamins you'll need. Do you take a multivitamin now? If so, continue taking it...although you might need to buy it there. You should really check what you can take through customs if you don't already know. I've heard it's a problem for some hikers that come to the US to hike.

Another thing to consider is that you'll probably crave whatever you're deficient in. For the most part I bet it will be calories. You'll chow down like never before. That happens to me. I find that I also go crazy over salt, salads and ice cream when I walk into a town on a long hike. If you find the same thing, you'll have an idea of where to supplement, although with your type of walk, you have the option of supplement with real food instead of pills or powders.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 11:11 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Everyone I know who's been to Spain says the food is awesome. I would think there would be reasonably accommodating options for even non adventurous eaters. As Wagenbob says, there's tons of spanish bread, cheese, meat combinations.

I suppose the real issue here is that your body isn't going to run out of vitamins or minerals over the course of the trip. You can go years on minimal nutrition before you get scurvy or rickets. On the other hand, if you don't eat enough, you'll feel that in days. Nothing you pack is going to sustain you for weeks at a time. Heck, a day's worth of MRE's can take up half a backpack.

What I'm getting at is... eat the local food. Nothing you pack will be able to add up to enough to help you out more than as a snack.
      I'm not looking to live off pills, but something I can use to accompany a glass of OJ in the morning or a warm glass of milk that will help fill the gaps since I won't have the equivalent to home cooked meals in content and size when I get there. And eating the local food will come down to whats available and if I can handle it. Texture/odor is my weakness. The mere feel of an orange in my mouth, vomit. The smell of fish, vomit. Lettuce....

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Camino Frances?

You can do powders. Of course you wouldn't carry it all at one time. You'd do mail drops. The toughest part I think will be that you'll have to buy it there, or at least find an online shop there that will ship it to a place that will hold it until you arrive.

The chances of needing to supplement protein is very slim. Chances are that you'll be eating 4000 calories or more a day. It's damn hard to eat a diet that won't give you very high levels of protein when you're eating that much food. Put together a spreadsheet and you'll almost certainly find that protein supplementation isn't worth it.

In any case, the one powder I'll recommend is Nestle Nido. It's powdered whole milk. We have it here, but supposedly the european version is higher quality. That will give you plenty of protein and calories and taste great too.

As far as vitamins, without knowing what you'll be deficient in, it's difficult to know what vitamins you'll need. Do you take a multivitamin now? If so, continue taking it...although you might need to buy it there. You should really check what you can take through customs if you don't already know. I've heard it's a problem for some hikers that come to the US to hike.

Another thing to consider is that you'll probably crave whatever you're deficient in. For the most part I bet it will be calories. You'll chow down like never before. That happens to me. I find that I also go crazy over salt, salads and ice cream when I walk into a town on a long hike. If you find the same thing, you'll have an idea of where to supplement, although with your type of walk, you have the option of supplement with real food instead of pills or powders.
      Camino Frances is a 492 mile trek across northern Spain. Its one of the routes of the Camino De Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James.

The only thing that is an option is pills, nothing else. And like I mentioned to XiaoNio above I just want something to accompany a light breakfast in the morning that will keep me from malnutrition over the course of a month.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenbob View Post
      You didn't say which region you were going to be visiting. I lived in Andalucia for close to a year.

Easy snacks, and fairly cheap:
      Jamon y queso. A slice of Serrano ham (thin, cured, with a slightly waxy feel) and a slice of manchego cheese. Delicious.
      Sliced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
      Or just bread with olive oil and salt.

If you do find yourself in a city, tapas bars are a good place to get cheap (and delicious) food, and a great place to meet people.
      I'll be walking across the entire northern part of the country. My dad is a big ham and cheese fan, though it didn't carry over to me. I don't really eat vegetables either. As for the Tapas, a quick google search leads me to believe that they won't be to my likings, but I'll leave the final verdict to when I speak with the waiters.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-18-2012 11:56 PM #10
      http://stevesoriginal.com/cart/Paleo-MRE/

This is probably the best you can do. When I get really lazy, I'll do half of one of these for breakfast. There's also any host of bars, powders, etc. But it seems contradictory. You say you can't stomach anything, but then say you're just looking for an extra few bites. What exactly do you plan on eating while you're out there?

In the mean time, perhaps get to your local tapas joint and start sampling the food? As a side question, so do you eat any vegetables or fruit?

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 12:21 AM #11
      http://stevesoriginal.com/cart/Paleo-MRE/

This is probably the best you can do. When I get really lazy, I'll do half of one of these for breakfast. There's also any host of bars, powders, etc. But it seems contradictory. You say you can't stomach anything, but then say you're just looking for an extra few bites. What exactly do you plan on eating while you're out there?

In the mean time, perhaps get to your local tapas joint and start sampling the food? As a side question, so do you eat any vegetables or fruit?
      I can stomach most food, generally the stomach tolerance seems to be something with early morning foods (maple syrup and pancakes, or crepes or similar things will turn my ass into a war zone and give horrible cramps). My biggest problem is with odor and consistency. I'll get a violent reaction to regurgitate as soon as I feel the texture crunching between my teeth or get a wiff of something that is awful, which in my case is anything seafood.

To answer your question, not really. I drink nearly any kind of juice, store sold or juiced myself. I eat banana's, applesauce, and that's honestly probably it. Only vegetable I eat is Spinach in the form of Spinach pie that my mom makes.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-19-2012 12:28 AM #12
      So maybe not this bad... but, hard for me not to think of this:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ets-age-2.html

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 09:38 AM #13
      So maybe not this bad... but, hard for me not to think of this:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ets-age-2.html
      L O L. I can't eat McD's anymore. Anything no matter what it is that I eat there destroys my colon. The soda feel's like acid going down my throat and I get run down real bad.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      09-19-2012 12:25 PM #14
      SMH at how picky you are.
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 12:52 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by scandalous_cynce View Post
      SMH at how picky you are.
      Sorry for having no control over an involuntary bodily function.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-19-2012 01:04 PM #16
      How long has this been going on? My grandfather believes he is diabetic. By the numbers, he's not actually. If he eats sweets, he immediately gets an adverse reaction. Yet he can eat peanut butter which has a ton of sugar in it (he's just not aware) and have no response.

So perhaps think about somatization and maybe irritable bowel? My inclination would be to cold turkey it and force yourself to start eating other foods, but maybe you should talk with a care provider and get a consult.

Rewinding, you say that even texture is enough to get you nauseous. Just pointing out that there's nothing physiological about texture that should induce nausea or gagging. Those tend to be mediated by chemoreceptors or the sensory neurons on the back of your throat.

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 01:22 PM #17
      How long has this been going on? My grandfather believes he is diabetic. By the numbers, he's not actually. If he eats sweets, he immediately gets an adverse reaction. Yet he can eat peanut butter which has a ton of sugar in it (he's just not aware) and have no response.

So perhaps think about somatization and maybe irritable bowel? My inclination would be to cold turkey it and force yourself to start eating other foods, but maybe you should talk with a care provider and get a consult.

Rewinding, you say that even texture is enough to get you nauseous. Just pointing out that there's nothing physiological about texture that should induce nausea or gagging. Those tend to be mediated by chemoreceptors or the sensory neurons on the back of your throat.
      Ever since I was little. There are certain things I just don't like to eat just from not liking the taste; nuts, peanut butter, turkey.

Personally I think the issues spanning with the reaction to the texture or consistencies is psycholigical. Somatization to me doesn't seem to fit, and IBS doesn't share the symptoms. My brother has it, nothing like what I experience. Mine is only when I eat McDonalds or certain foods for breakfast. Funny though, I can eat them any other points in the day and they won't have adverse effects.

I remember trying an orange once. Between the texture and the consistency of chewing it it was enough to spit it out. The gagging I think is a physical reaction to my body/brain wanting it out of my mouth. I can drink OJ all day though.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 04 B5.5V TDI, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      09-20-2012 11:52 AM #18
      just take normal vitamins. maybe take two a day instead of 1.

there isnt going to be some magic vitamin that we can suggest to help you out here.

i realize you have food issues. just work around them as best you can. maybe that means eating more when you can. maybe that means ordering a second meal to go.

you WILL be able to find food you can eat. and it will keep you more then well mineralized .

if you were going to Ethiopia, i might worry a little. Spain, not even for a second.
      epitome

I need to follow this... "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

Vehicles
      09-20-2012 12:25 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      just take normal vitamins. maybe take two a day instead of 1.

there isnt going to be some magic vitamin that we can suggest to help you out here.

i realize you have food issues. just work around them as best you can. maybe that means eating more when you can. maybe that means ordering a second meal to go.

you WILL be able to find food you can eat. and it will keep you more then well mineralized .

if you were going to Ethiopia, i might worry a little. Spain, not even for a second.
      2 or 2 Dunham haha, thanks man .
      '09 Honda Ruckus