Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mentoring

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      09-18-2012 10:32 PM #1
      I didn't realize how great it feels when you explain something to a rider and it "clicks" and makes them a better rider or makes their life on a bike better and wanted to share my experience.
      This weekend, my friend's fiancee joined us for a ride on her gs500. Well 45 minutes into curvy roads, she was complaining of being exhausted. I diagnosed it as a combination of a wrist-ergonomics problem (severly bent wrist when at regular throttle) and a "death-grip" on the bars. (basically arms extremely tense the entire time)
      Once I explained to her how to relax and use minimal grip on the bars and not have the left hand fighting the right hand when trying to steer, for the next two hours not only did she pick up the pace considerably (well, we could go the speed limit all of the sudden), but also ended up not being tired at all

/yeah i know CSB but it's pretty awesome when you can explain something to someone and they get it and they do it and they're better off because of it.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, naked '97 GSXR 600, '79 DT250
      09-19-2012 04:00 PM #2
      you're a shoe-in

kidding, for you. Only question is, why didn't the fiance help her with this?

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 04:08 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by sunofernest View Post
      you're a shoe-in
      they gave one ot obama so how hard can it be

why didn't the fiance help her with this?
      not experienced enough himself, and mostly learned by doing rather than read the theory, so he doesn't really explain things well. I've had a similar feeling trying to teach people to snowboard, i could do anything but couldn't explain it at all.
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 09-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

4. 09-19-2012 04:59 PM #4
      Hey man, I want to get in on one of your next rides. You hitting anything in NJ any time soon?

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 04:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
      Hey man, I want to get in on one of your next rides. You hitting anything in NJ any time soon?
      don't do jersey (too flat, evil cops, etc), but planning this on saturday (hopefully it works out)
      http://*******/maps/LH2H9
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 09-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.

6. 09-19-2012 05:16 PM #6
      Looks like a nice ride. Too bad I already have other plans.

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      09-19-2012 11:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      I didn't realize how great it feels when you explain something to a rider and it "clicks" and makes them a better rider or makes their life on a bike better and wanted to share my experience.
      This weekend, my friend's fiancee joined us for a ride on her gs500. Well 45 minutes into curvy roads, she was complaining of being exhausted. I diagnosed it as a combination of a wrist-ergonomics problem (severly bent wrist when at regular throttle) and a "death-grip" on the bars. (basically arms extremely tense the entire time)
      Once I explained to her how to relax and use minimal grip on the bars and not have the left hand fighting the right hand when trying to steer, for the next two hours not only did she pick up the pace considerably (well, we could go the speed limit all of the sudden), but also ended up not being tired at all

/yeah i know CSB but it's pretty awesome when you can explain something to someone and they get it and they do it and they're better off because of it.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, naked '97 GSXR 600, '79 DT250
      09-21-2012 02:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      don't do jersey (too flat, evil cops, etc), but planning this on saturday (hopefully it works out)
      http://*******/maps/LH2H9
      damn, that's pretty serious. how big is your group? skill level?

think its possible to get an SEPA group ride going?

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 04:12 PM #9
      damn, that's pretty serious. how big is your group? skill level?

think its possible to get an SEPA group ride going?
      probably around 5 guys most with a few years, some with some track time. This is basically my friends with bikes and a couple extra people. Not a gathering of randoms. though if you want to come out, you're more than welcome, pm me and i'll let you know what's up (i'm in southampton pa)

every 2nd sunday of the mont, there is an awesome ride led by these guys http://philadelphiariders.com/ sign up for the mailing list to check it out.
      there's also a tuesday night hangout at the abbaye on 3rd and fairmount. All intelligent guys