in case you were curious...
drivers seat srd . pass seat lx-b
Near Albany. It was on CL for all of a day, lol.
Found some rust on one jacking point today, need to scrape the undercoating and clean that up before it gets worse. Replaced my rear motor mount and swapped in a new header. Didn't get much else done because my brother stuffed his mk2 into some trees and totaled it.
Got it all back together yesterday afternoon. Replaced the bad tie rod end and still have the suspension clunk. I think it's the LCA bushings, the ball joint seemed tight. Gotta drive more to see if I fixed the coolant issue. The exhaust doesn't leak anymore, seems to run kinda rich still, might need to replace a temp sensor.
Not sure. Found the leak anyway, didn't take a pic though. One of the hoses to the oil cooler must have been disturbed when I was doing the work on the water pump, because it's leaking like crazy.
On a better note... I fixed my awful headlights! The original owner had installed H4 housings but never did the wiring correctly, so the high beam and ground wires were swapped. Fixed it and now my headlights are MUCH brighter. Swapped out my power steering belt for a new one, so now I no longer have chirpy belts. I also fixed my dome light. It was corroded internally, and the door switches were bad. I swapped in the switches from my brother's crashed Golf and it now works perfectly.
What's left of my brother's Golf...
Went to climb in my car to go to work and the seat was halfway reclined. Crap.
Replaced the foam rubber bits with a couple foam donuts from a new stack of CD blanks.
Got home from class and adjusted my headlights... Not bad at all for being Autopal lights, nearly as good as my brother's Hellas.
Cat is completely gutted... Damn it. The O2 sensor was crossthreaded, thankfully it destroyed the O2 sensor and not the bung. Had to chase out the threads using a spark plug thread chaser, lol. Worked from inside the cat and cleaned up the threads nicely. Tore off everything on the front of the engine again to replace the coolant lines. I officially hate spring clamps on hoses.
Random pics from the other day:
I managed to blow up both oil pressure sensors today... First one blew up and coated the underside of the car and the entire back of the car, as well as the engine bay. Fixed it and did an oil change, went to the car wash to degrease the engine bay and the bottom of my car, cleaned up really well. Went out and took some quick pics of my car. Got home and the second sensor was blown up. Awesome.
Video of the failure of the first sensor.
Pics I took today (don't mind the water lol):
29 Palms, CA
I was having some issues with the ECU sporadically pulling timing so I swapped in a new knock sensor a couple of days ago, and found this....
Really clean cam:
Back to driving the truck for a couple weeks.
Good news though... This is on the way!
Gasket set + some extras are on their way as well
Since the car's down I tore apart the heater box and repaired the blend doors today. I have blistering heat now, woot.
Before anyone asks, I have no clue why the screws are there, but everything works so I'm leaving them alone.
1.8 16V head with Autotech Sport Cams. All cleaned up and ready to drop on. Got a new oil cooler, and a bunch of other bits to go on at the same time. Going to clean up the intake manifold and valve cover and paint them up, they should look fantastic. Can't wait for this weekend!
All cleaned up:
Not bad for 161k:
New oil cooler:
All wrapped up:
The power increase is noticeable, to say the least, haha. Better bay pics and videos coming later.
A big shoutout to my brother, Trainboy414, for handling the painting of the manifold and valve cover.
#3 rod bearing was toast. #2 was down to the copper. #2 main looks decent, #4 main looks decent. It has new style main bearings for sure, replaced recently-ish. I have two rod bearings left to go, and three mains to check. I'm waiting on parts I didn't order/found damaged. My new rear motor mount is trash, one of the bolt holes stripped out because I didn't loctite the bolt in and it vibrated loose. Woops.
The two rod bearings I've replaced are well within spec now, no journal damage that will affect anything. Super stoked about that
Hans @ Ground Zero Performance got me new main bearings in a day, thanks Hans! Mains and rods are done. Installed the windage tray and new oil pump baffle. Packed the oil pump with assembly lube to help it prime. Started it up and it had a knock and was running rough... First thought was "oh sh*t" then the lifter pumped up and it smoothed out and idled away better than ever. Gave it a few revs and there's no noise
I'm going to take it easy for a hundred miles or so, then I'll let 'er rip. Good vids will be incoming, probably over winter break