Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Passat B5/5.5 Front Strut Tower Cross Brace (from Audi C5 A6)

Vehicles
      Supercharged Intercooled 2004 VW Passat V6 30V
      09-20-2012 06:52 AM #1
      Genuine OE Audi C5 Strut Tower Cross Brace Part Number 4B0-805-645. Brace is in used but as new working condition, good cosmetic condition.

Shortened and re-drilled inboard 25mm on either end of cross member, this is a direct bolt-on stiffener for the B5/5.5's front suspension geometry. I can do the required mod on my bench and send it to you ready to install, or send it to you as-is for you to tinker with directly.

Once modded, this is at most a 20 minute install. Loosen your battery clamp, remove two of three strut tower bolts from either side, slide the bar between battery and firewall, under the brake booster and A/C lines, loosely install the end brackets with strut tower bolts, fasten cross member to brackets with supplied hardware, tighten bracket bolts and cross member fasteners, and tighten your battery clamp. Now go drive it like you stole it.

$75 plus shipping for brackets and hardware with modded cross member, $75 including shipping (lower 48) for brackets and hardware with as-is cross member.

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 10:18 AM #2

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8t
      09-22-2012 12:19 AM #3
      $75 including mod & shipping?

Vehicles
      09-22-2012 01:33 PM #4
      $85 with mod and shipping. Best suspension tweak under a hundred bucks by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8t
      09-23-2012 12:49 PM #5
      Sold. PM sent.

Vehicles
      09-23-2012 02:55 PM #6
      Last edited by keithwbloom; 09-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Vehicles
      09-24-2012 08:34 PM #7
      One sold to nooooooooooooobie!

One sold to WheezerMF!

One more still available.
      Last edited by keithwbloom; 09-26-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 03:19 PM #8
      Third one SOLD

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8t
      10-06-2012 06:37 PM #9
      Well bummer... Second one is available again. My car is totaled, and I never even took the bar out of the box.

How about $85 + shipping, so I can break even?

10. 06-01-2013 12:10 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by WheezerMF View Post
      Well bummer... Second one is available again. My car is totaled, and I never even took the bar out of the box.

Will this fit my b7 passat

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen: 2.5, Auto, & Pano / 2000 passat 1.8t auto (RIP)
      06-01-2013 10:30 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by WheezerMF View Post

will this still help if im stock height!?

12. 05-07-2015 11:47 PM #12
      You'd be better off buying two pieces of string to tie the strut towers together, don't buy this mickey mouse p.o.s.... Seller you should be ashamed and toss this part in the garbage asap... Any link (ie: bolt together) will take all the flex and snap before any flex in the chassis happens., physics my friend physics...

Vehicles
      05-08-2015 05:30 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jasonc2 View Post
      You'd be better off buying two pieces of string to tie the strut towers together, don't buy this mickey mouse p.o.s.... Seller you should be ashamed and toss this part in the garbage asap... Any link (ie: bolt together) will take all the flex and snap before any flex in the chassis happens., physics my friend physics...
      And you know this how? Not to mention you resurrected a two year old post.

The design of this brace supplements the firewall and further stiffens it against bowing under load. I ca tell you definitively it works because I tested the bar while bolts were loose by lifting one corner and then the other with a speed jack. The braces relocated on their mounts with the fasteners loose. Once everything was tightened up, the bar took some of the load off the firewall and there was less displacement of the center mount.

But you're welcome to keep preaching your string theory. Just be sure everyone knows it's a comedy and not a documentary.

14. 05-08-2015 05:50 PM #14
      Yeah, I am sure those little 8mm bolts will hold.. Sure... Take what I say or leave it, but you will be wrong...

Vehicles
      05-08-2015 06:04 PM #15
      Yeah, I am sure those little 8mm bolts will hold.. Sure... Take what I say or leave it, but you will be wrong...
      I just want a little context for your accusation. I was the original seller (3 years ago) and you called me out. I have 10+ years hands on B5/5.5 mod experience, and I also personally used a modified C5 A6 strut brace with my 2004 V6. I know of at least a dozen of these modified braces in use, driven by some very spirited drivers and none have ever failed. If you want to call out the design, then flag the Audi engineers who added it to the C5 when they found the firewall wasn't cutting it alone.

Again, I'll ask you for factual evidence it is no better than a string. You made the claim. And besmirched my credibility in doing so. Prove it.

16. 05-08-2015 06:16 PM #16
      Sure... Put the car on a torsitional twist and measure.. It may indeed make a very minor difference, but under "track conditions" this would do nothing for tolerances.. Maybe 80lbs of force before the bolts up and sheered off... Unless your using some "wolverine" style metals, all I am saying is stop selling novice questioneers.. Money vs. Benefit isn't there period..

17. Member
      Vehicles
      13 CC Sport +, 04 Passat variant 1.8T
      05-09-2015 09:22 AM #17
      Vortex, I swear. Go away thread crapper.

I see no outrageous claims for some magical handling, but I can tell you that it does make a difference in steering response and feel over not having it there at all. I have one on my B5 and B5.5

18. 05-09-2015 10:27 AM #18
      Hey, good for you... See you at the track... Lol

19. Member
      Vehicles
      13 CC Sport +, 04 Passat variant 1.8T
      05-09-2015 10:35 AM #19
      Who said anything about the track?

20. 05-09-2015 11:06 AM #20
      Oh, I am sorry, thought this was a performance product that made a difference.. My bad... Cheer up guys.. And quit getting so defensive.. Buy whatever you want, just don't push false theroys on newbies that know no better and look to threads for "quality advice"..

Vehicles
      05-09-2015 01:00 PM #21
      Again, you position yourself as a wise guardian of the unsuspecting. I hide my reputation behind nothing. My screen name is my real name. I use the same screen name on a dozen automotive forums. My experience in this platform is 11 years and running. I publish how-tos, and answer technical queries with frequent regularity. I don't appreciate your passive character assassination by calling me out. If you are an established B5 racer and have snapped one of these cross braces in track use, I would be keen to learn about such a fault. My counsel is "quality advice", as is VAGGuy's. We're both longtime moderators of THE Passat platform discussion forum website, PassatWorld.com. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure every moderator of PassatWorld.com in recent memory has been a fan and user of this C5 cross brace modification.
      I ask again, what are your qualifications to call me or anyone else out for our recommendation of this mod?
      To the benefit of the Passat B5/5.5 community, I would counter that you should stop scaring newcomers to the B5/5.5 chassis with your false theories that this mod is both ineffective and costly. The first has been thoroughly debunked by dozens of happy B5/5.5 modders. The second I can also disprove in that I have published a 30 minute, step-by-step for any DIYer who can get a donor bar from a pick 'n' pull for $25 or less.
      Throw down some worthy creds and/or evidence to the contrary or stop preaching your unsupported opinion as fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by keithwbloom; 05-09-2015 at 02:09 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      05-09-2015 07:18 PM #22
      There are several VAG cars that run this bar as OEM. The B5.5 W8, the C5 A6 2.7T, the S4 V8 and they all use the same bolts. Not one failure that I have seen or heard of in all this time they have been available. Many of they have been tracked and none have failed. I have been on various VW/Audi forums for 15 years and as a mechanic, I have modified over 100 VW/Audi suspensions. I know what works and what does not.

In your 3 weeks here, what have you proven to know?

PZ.

Vehicles
      05-09-2015 08:24 PM #23
      Oh, I am sorry, thought this was a performance product that made a difference.. My bad... Cheer up guys.. And quit getting so defensive.. Buy whatever you want, just don't push false theroys on newbies that know no better and look to threads for "quality advice"..
      In case you didn't bother to subscribe to this thread that you rudely isht on and tried to sneak away, I quoted you again to call you out. You called me a shyster. Back it up or take it back.

24. 05-09-2015 09:40 PM #24
      Taking nothing back and before you guys have the equivalent of 300plus "track hours", you are a bystander.. Just saying, your defensiveness says enough... I need not comment further than this.. Steel is steel, and his its own breaking points.. Your OEM strut bar is a b.s. attempt to rectify a problem with an outdated chassis. Period. You'd be served much better taking a solid piece of steel and welding it to a plate that bolted (high strength titanium bolts) to the actual towers "if" you wanted some "real" results... As stated the part is worthy only of the garbage,.. Get mad, say something about my character, swear, and do whatever childish novices do.. Get some "track" time "yourself" before any other statements of specucality (maybe not a word, but sounds good.. ).... Agreed 15 years ago, this may have been the most economic bolt-on fix, sure... I will give you that.. (Bowing gracefully) but that's it.. Come into this era, and do some favorable things, rather than insult someone questioning your "old school" theories.. Grow up and help.. And p.s. I brought this thread back from the past, because myself... Was looking for "real" "race quality" strut tower links... But some would call them braces.. Take a chill pill and smoke some weed before you give yourself a coronary ... Lol... Cheers mates!

Vehicles
      05-09-2015 10:25 PM #25
      We at least you have put your observations in context. Let me reply first by recognizing that there are indeed more effective, more rigid solutions for connecting the two shock towers in a B5/5.5 chassis. But to my knowledge, they are rarer than hens teeth and costlier by at least a factor of 10x. Are they 10x more effective? Can't say. But I have Auto-Xed the B5.5 with this brace, driven it hard through mountain and valley for over two thousand miles in three days with a supercharged V6, scrubbed tires and smoked brakes sprung on PSS9s with this brace, and I never thought twice about the linkage bolts.
      We'll have to agree to disagree. If I had a welder, I could have made a better bar patterned after those made for the B5 RS4. But I don't. And 95% of the B5/5.5 Passat owners don't either.
      If you have 300 track hours in this "outdated" chassis, how is it that you are just now looking for a "race quality" solution? If you knew anything about the B5/5.5 Passat platform, fully 95% of which is FWD with heavily engineered in understeer, you should have long ago realized there is nothing "track ready" made for it that isn't borrowed and/or adapted from pieces designed and engineered for something else, e.g. the B5 S4/RS4 and C5 RS6.
      So I'll conclude by saying that I don't believe I ever insulted you. I take great care not to offend. I did call you out for insulting me and that was deserving. You think I don't know jack because my 11 years of tweaking and following developments for and in this platform don't add up to your 10-15 some odd Saturdays driving whatever non-B5 platforms you cut your teeth in. I think there are at least a few hundred grateful enthusiasts in both North America and the EU that know me both directly and by reputation who will also think your math doesn't add up. But please, go make yourself a quality race-caliber strut tower link from 4130. I could even point you to where/who to find a pattern from if I were so inclined. And by all means, secure it with high strength titanium or adamantium fasteners. Any weight savings you find can only help the nose heavy, under steering FWD B5 from being lapped by everything else on the track in your class.
      There, I insulted you.

Last edited by keithwbloom; 05-09-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast