Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Factory speaker wiring.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      09-20-2012 08:18 AM #1
      I'm having an issue with my speakers/head unit in my MKIV R32. I have the factor double-din Monsoon unit and all factory speakers. A couple of days ago, I started my car and all I heard was a really fast clicky/static sound from all of the speakers. I took the Monsoon unit out to check the harness and connections and everything seemed to be fine, so I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes and then the speakers started working again.

When I started driving, the fast clicking noise came back and then a lot of static from the right rear speaker. I hooked my car up to the VAGCOM here at work and it had a code of "short to ground - right rear speaker", so obviously there's an issue with the speaker or its ground. Is the factory wiring for the speakers designed to turn all the speakers off if one or its ground is bad?
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      Torque is a motherf***er

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      09-21-2012 06:52 PM #2
      Anyone?
      Torque is a motherf***er

Vehicles
      mk6 Jetta TDI (Current)
      09-23-2012 09:16 PM #3
      i know stupid question but did you check the the speaker and make sure it was connected tight. and check the factory unit again and make sure the rear right two speakers are in the connectors tight. they could be a little loose
      Mk6 Jetta TDi DSG /istagram@D_and_6

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      09-23-2012 10:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dgirouard39 View Post
      i know stupid question but did you check the the speaker and make sure it was connected tight. and check the factory unit again and make sure the rear right two speakers are in the connectors tight. they could be a little loose
      No I haven't checked the speaker or its connections. I was just curious if the short in just the one speaker would cause all of them to not work. Tearing into the rear quarter tomorrow and checking everything.
      Torque is a motherf***er

5. 09-26-2012 06:10 AM #5
      2000 Alero are the factory speakers soldered or wiring harness?
      Are the factory speakers wired be being soldered or by a wiring harness?

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      09-28-2012 01:49 PM #6
      Bump. Any help would be appreciated. I unplugged the right rear speaker and the fast clicking still happens. Cleared the code with my VAGCOM and it still does the clicking. The code was:

00869 - Line Output; Rear Right
      44-00 - Short Circuit

I also tried another Monsoon unit and it still does the same thing. This is driving me insane, please help!
      Torque is a motherf***er

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      09-28-2012 04:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by v2. View Post
      Bump. Any help would be appreciated. I unplugged the right rear speaker and the fast clicking still happens. Cleared the code with my VAGCOM and it still does the clicking. The code was:

00869 - Line Output; Rear Right
      44-00 - Short Circuit

I also tried another Monsoon unit and it still does the same thing. This is driving me insane, please help!
      Perhaps the short is in the wire that runs from the headunit to the amp.
      Last edited by FigureFive; 09-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      10-01-2012 01:58 PM #8
      I still haven't gotten to the bottom of this, but something new started happening. I hooked the Monsoon unit back up to test some things and then when I left it plugged in, my horn no longer beeps when I lock my car.
      Torque is a motherf***er

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 VW jetta GLS 1.8t
      10-01-2012 11:37 PM #9
      It may sound like a lot of work hearing this but the fact your vag com says short to ground means you have a bad power or ground somewhere in that wiring. You'll need to remove the speaker and follow ALL the wires to their sources (amp/headunit) somewhere in those paths you'll likely find a wire loose or spliced somewhere touching something it shouldn't.

If that seems like too much of a pain for you it's a good time then to upgrade those speakers and headunit and run new speaker wire to a new amp and bypass all that extra nonsense.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      10-02-2012 09:44 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedGLS0218 View Post
      It may sound like a lot of work hearing this but the fact your vag com says short to ground means you have a bad power or ground somewhere in that wiring. You'll need to remove the speaker and follow ALL the wires to their sources (amp/headunit) somewhere in those paths you'll likely find a wire loose or spliced somewhere touching something it shouldn't.

If that seems like too much of a pain for you it's a good time then to upgrade those speakers and headunit and run new speaker wire to a new amp and bypass all that extra nonsense.
      Thanks for the help! I did a bunch of searching yesterday and found several threads about checking fuse 42. The threads said that most of the time the fuse is good, but simply removing it and putting it back in fixes the problem, so I tried that. After I checked the fuse, I checked the connections at the factory amp, unplugged the harness and reconnected and then tried and I now have sound again

I don't know if either of those things worked, or it was just coincidence, but it worked all the way to work this morning and I'm afraid to touch anything else since it is working again
      Torque is a motherf***er

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02 VW jetta GLS 1.8t
      10-02-2012 10:49 AM #11
      Hey man if It ain't broken don't try and fix it that's what I always think. Hopefully that fixed it. If it comes back though you may have to trace wires