Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: 1.5" Drop springs

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2010
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      546
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-20-2012 08:48 AM #1
      Looking for some lowering springs that will give me about a 1.5" drop. Not looking for coils, so please don't suggest them. I found an old post about WRD's 1.6" springs, but don't see them listed on their site; are they still available? Also noticed MJM has some Koni's that claim a 1.6" drop, but they're out of stock. What springs would you guys recommend for a daily driver looking for a little lower ride, but still OEM-like comfort? Would prefer to stay under $200

    2. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Wadsworth, OH
      Posts
      31,810
      Vehicles
      Modified Ones
      09-20-2012 11:28 AM #2
      We carry H&R Sport Spring Set with 1.5 drop -


      http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

    3. Member VWBugman00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2009
      Location
      Kennewick Wa
      Posts
      1,167
      Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      09-20-2012 12:18 PM #3
      Don't forget the sway bar. If you go that low, you're going to need a new one, as the drive shafts will touch the stock one.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2010
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      546
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-20-2012 12:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VWBugman00 View Post
      Don't forget the sway bar. If you go that low, you're going to need a new one, as the drive shafts will touch the stock one.
      I was told as long as I'm not going over 2" I'll be fine? I've read reviews of people running these with stock sways with no problem...

    5. Member WillToBeWeird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2012
      Location
      Oconomowoc, WI
      Posts
      230
      Vehicles
      04 GLI VR6
      09-21-2012 07:46 PM #5
      I'm on h&r race springs/bilstien shocks which dropped me a tad over 2" and have never hit my FSB.

      On flat ground there is still a around an inch of clearance (didn't actually measure) so you should be safe

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2011
      Location
      Brooklyn, N.Y.
      Posts
      2,380
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      09-22-2012 09:01 AM #6
      My 2012 Turbo Beetle just had the H&R's installed and the 1-1/2 inch posed no problems.
      Did also get the car aligned and had the tires rotated since the wheels were coming off any way.
      Tire Rack had the springs for $275 plus $16 shipping but I did see them listed on Ebay for
      a flat $255.99 including shipping. The Ebay Item # was 110954042394. The listing did say
      they were specifically for the Turbo Beetle. H&R Part No. 54701.

    7. Member VWBugman00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2009
      Location
      Kennewick Wa
      Posts
      1,167
      Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      09-24-2012 09:56 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      My 2012 Turbo Beetle just had the H&R's installed and the 1-1/2 inch posed no problems.
      Did also get the car aligned and had the tires rotated since the wheels were coming off any way.
      Tire Rack had the springs for $275 plus $16 shipping but I did see them listed on Ebay for
      a flat $255.99 including shipping. The Ebay Item # was 110954042394. The listing did say
      they were specifically for the Turbo Beetle. H&R Part No. 54701.
      The Beetle you're driving has a totally different suspension set up than it's older siblings . I remember reading somewhere that 1.5" or so is where the stock sway bar would hit the drive shaft in daily driving. I don't mind being proven wrong though
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2011
      Location
      Brooklyn, N.Y.
      Posts
      2,380
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-01-2012 07:18 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VWBugman00 View Post
      The Beetle you're driving has a totally different suspension set up than it's older siblings . I remember reading somewhere that 1.5" or so is where the stock sway bar would hit the drive shaft in daily driving. I don't mind being proven wrong though
      Here's H&R's comments on the springs. H&R VW Beetle Sport lowering Springs offer the
      handling characteristics and aggresive appearance that you've been looking for, without the
      harsh ride characteristics of less-advanced spring systems. Our's feature more control and
      are engineered for the street, making them comfortable and fun to drive. They are crafted
      from a special 54SiCr6 spring steel to ensure quality and performance.

      They will lower your Beetle an average of 1/12 to 2 inches for a lower center of gravity,
      improved handling and a more aggresive appearance. H&R Sport Springs feature a spring
      rate that is firmer than that of VW's OE Sport spring, but is still comfortable enough for
      daily use. They are an excellent choice for street and occasional track use.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •