Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: '12 Jetta...tell me about them

1. 09-20-2012 10:05 PM #1
      I dont know anything about VWs...the only reason i come to the vortex is for the car lounge

so it comes with 2 engines..the 2.0 and the 2.5.

The 2.0 is apparently an anemic dinosaur from the 70s and VW is super effing cheap for even offering this engine these days....is this the one to steer away from?

the 2.5. Is it a 5cyl or 4cyl? How old is it? Good engine? Good mileage for todays standards?

is there anyway to get a cloth interior with the 2.5?

the previous jetta was based off the golf...whats this one based off of?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      09-20-2012 10:31 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
      The 2.0 is apparently an anemic dinosaur from the 70s and VW is super effing cheap for even offering this engine these days....is this the one to steer away from?
      They updated the 2.0. It's not quite the same 2.0 as the old one. It gets better gas mileage but it'll feel about like the old 2.0 for power.

the previous jetta was based off the golf...whats this one based off of?
      ...The previous Jetta.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-20-2012 10:31 PM #3
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-20-2012 10:34 PM #4
      The cloth (if you can call it that with a straight face) is only available on the base model with the 2.0.

If you want better cloth and the 2.5, go with the Golf or the Jetta wagon.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-20-2012 10:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      They updated the 2.0. It's not quite the same 2.0 as the old one. It gets better gas mileage but it'll feel about like the old 2.0 for power.
      The better gas mileage is mostly from the taller transmission gearing. The engine is essentially the same anemic wonder as before.
      :gift:

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-20-2012 10:44 PM #6
      The 2.0 is ancient by today's standards, but is simply an engine for the low end version for $16k. It goes back to the '90s, not the '70s. The 2.5 is getting long in the tooth, but is a solid powerplant. It develops 170 hp, has good torque and some folks dig the sound. Both engines are not long for production, as they're being replaced by a 1.8 turbo (this has nothing to do with the previous 1.8 turbo). Both engines are reliable, but the 2.0 is rated at 115 hp, which is low by today's standards, but will move the car around fine, likely better than my 115 hp Fit, even though the Fit is lighter.

The new Jetta isn't based off of any other car, but uses component sets (front suspension, HVAC rear suspension, engines, seats...) from other cars. It is too old to be on their new MQB architecture, but the next version will be, along with the Passat. MQB is a new chassis and component set that is usable from sub Golf sized cars (like the Polo) to the rather large Passat. It is simple structures/pieces that hold components at specific angles, but can be stretched in length, width, height, windshield angle etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      C123
      09-20-2012 10:46 PM #7
      There are 4 engines, 3 of which are 2.0 liter displacement, which are all completely different.

The base model is the 2.0 8v, 115 hp, which was barely adequate in the Mk3, not quite enough in a Mk4, and definitely not enough motor for the Mk6.

The next step up is the 2.5, which is a 5-cylinder with 170 hp. They're pretty good engines overall, with plenty of power for the car.

There's the 2.0 TDI, which has good power (140 hp/ 200 torque IIRC) and will get you excellent fuel economy.

And there's the 2.0 TSI in the GLI, which is the turbo gasoline engine, 200 hp, but they're a bit more trouble prone than the others. Still not bad, but not quite as trouble-free.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      2012 A4; 2010 TDI
      09-20-2012 11:29 PM #8
      I drove the 2.0 Auto; it was not too bad. The 2.5 Auto was decently fast and 2.5 is a proven engine and should be trouble free. Jetta drove pretty well and handling was pretty decent for that type of car but the deal breaker for me was the interior. It was revoltingly cheap; I could not believe I was sitting in a VW. The MKVI Golf is a significant upgrade in terms interior quality (even if it costs more).

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-20-2012 11:32 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      but the 2.0 is rated at 115 hp, which is low by today's standards, but will move the car around fine, likely better than my 115 hp Fit, even though the Fit is lighter.
      0-60 in 11 seconds with the manual for the 2.0 Jetta S per the Car& Driver test I posted.
      The Fit is faster than that.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      09-20-2012 11:41 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The 2.0 is ancient by today's standards, but is simply an engine for the low end version for $16k. It goes back to the '90s, not the '70s.
      I though it was just a slightly updated version of the ABA that was in the MK3 and 4. Which itself was just like the old 1.8, just bumped up to 2.0 and a crossflow head slapped on. Which means it dates to the 70's.
      77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i

Vehicles
      VW
      09-21-2012 12:02 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      I though it was just a slightly updated version of the ABA that was in the MK3 and 4. Which itself was just like the old 1.8, just bumped up to 2.0 and a crossflow head slapped on. Which means it dates to the 70's.
      Aba was in MK3, now mostly found in MK1 and MK2s.AEG was in mk4.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

09-21-2012 12:05 AM #12
      this has come up once or twice. some good stuff in here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-be-everywhere.

some other stuff in here (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lly-that-solid) plus the model specific forum.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-21-2012 12:15 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      And there's the 2.0 TSI in the GLI, which is the turbo gasoline engine, 200 hp, but they're a bit more trouble prone than the others. Still not bad, but not quite as trouble-free.
      The completely revised "TSI (vs. the previous "FSI") has proven to be quite reliable. The only major known problem is carbon buildup - which is typical for all direct injection engines without additional port injection (the upcoming VW/Audi engines will have this).

Some people get significant buildup relatively early (<100,000 miles), others don't, depending on driving habits. The cleanup, if it is only necessary once lifetime, is not too expensive.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

14. 09-21-2012 12:17 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      0-60 in 11 seconds with the manual for the 2.0 Jetta S per the Car& Driver test I posted.
      The Fit is faster than that.
      I was once shot in the leg and managed to run faster than both. Come on....

New vw's, for me, are a total faceroll. Albeit the beetle and R, but only for the looks. 25k mile ac issues. Same coil issues and plastic/rubber quality (aka lack of quality.) These things can be fixed on older cars but why bother tinkering with a new car with warranty etc. Problem is you'll probably be on the side of the road anyway or a long unusual wait in the shop at some point.

Want the last real vw? Get a mark 3. Fix it yourself. Enjoy the pos for what it is. Want a more reliable vw with good aftermarket? Get a mark 5 2.0tfsi that's had all the engine updates. Want a less reliable worse quality Camry? Get a new vw.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards