Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 36

    Thread: 2014 Audi A3 Sedan to bow at L.A. Autoshow

    1. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-21-2012 09:06 AM #1
      Per the Los Angeles Times:

      "The 2013 Audi A3 will be the last of these popular premium compacts offered as a five-door Sportback stateside (for a now at least). The 2014 incarnation, which is expected make its U.S. bow at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, will initially only be available to American drivers as a sculpted, surprisingly sexy sedan. Audi is showing considerable faith in this bold move, predicting that the new A3 will become the German brand’s second most popular U.S. model (after the enduring A4)."

      November 30 - December 9, 2013.

      http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...y-13s-20120918

    2. Member djdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Norcal
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      09-21-2012 09:28 AM #2
      I'm going to Germany then to buy a Sportback.

      http://youtu.be/r7ObPFtGijw
      VWoA/AoA: Hatch (Golf R) or Sportback (S3) or Avant (B9 S4)

    3. 09-21-2012 12:04 PM #3
      I had a feeling it would be LA. They should confirm the mid-level 2.0T specs at this time too since it will be post Paris where the GTI will be revealed, presumably with the same motor.

      Wish they'd bring an S3 sedan to LA, but I don't see that happening.

      +1 to you Travis for always breaking news around this car. You've been a great contributor to this small community.

    4. Member djdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Norcal
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      09-21-2012 03:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      +1 to you Travis for always breaking news around this car. You've been a great contributor to this small community.
      Totally Agree.
      VWoA/AoA: Hatch (Golf R) or Sportback (S3) or Avant (B9 S4)

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      635
      09-21-2012 03:48 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by djdub View Post
      I'm going to Germany then to buy a Sportback.

      http://youtu.be/r7ObPFtGijw
      Might as well get the RS3 then! Go Big or Go Home!
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff
      APR Stage II+ // Milltek CBE /w HFC // APR CPS // H&R Sport Springs

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      67
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 135i
      09-22-2012 08:02 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by djdub View Post
      Totally Agree.
      Count me in also. Props to Travis.

      Logical that the A3 sedan debuts in LA....also I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a nearly simultaneous debut in China.
      Specs-photos-official LA confirmation- that's what we should be seeing very shortly.


    7. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-22-2012 08:21 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      I had a feeling it would be LA. They should confirm the mid-level 2.0T specs at this time too since it will be post Paris where the GTI will be revealed, presumably with the same motor.

      Wish they'd bring an S3 sedan to LA, but I don't see that happening.

      +1 to you Travis for always breaking news around this car. You've been a great contributor to this small community.
      Thanks, BClear. Can you tell that I'm psyched for one? ;-)

      VAG has a very aggressive product introduction schedule at the moment with the A3, Golf and Seat Leon all going MQB at about the same time. No doubt the logistical nightmare of factory changeover, training, tooling and getting suppliers onboard has been a tough road to hoe.

      There's a lot going on behind the scenes: new engine programs, new production methods, new chassis, new body....essentially new everything.

      I'm really hoping that the new GTI introduction is what they've been waiting on to introduce the new 2.0T for the A3. My guess is that we're going to see 220hp, and my hope is that this is what we get for the base engine in the sedan, not the 1.8 @ 180.

    8. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2010
      Location
      Va Beach
      Posts
      33
      09-22-2012 05:27 PM #8
      Wait, wait. OP, are you saying the a3 sedan won't be unveiled officially until the end of 2013? I thought it was going to be unveiled this year. Anyone?

    9. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-22-2012 07:43 PM #9
      Nobody knows for sure, but we are expecting an LA autoshow reveal in November of this year.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Posts
      300
      Vehicles
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      09-25-2012 05:27 PM #10
      let's hope that they drop the 180hp version of tdi engine in the a3 sedan to differentiate the a3 more from the jetta.
      Last edited by kevlartoronto; 09-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.

    11. 09-25-2012 11:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      Per the Los Angeles Times:

      "The 2013 Audi A3 will be the last of these popular premium compacts offered as a five-door Sportback stateside (for a now at least). The 2014 incarnation, which is expected make its U.S. bow at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, will initially only be available to American drivers as a sculpted, surprisingly sexy sedan. Audi is showing considerable faith in this bold move, predicting that the new A3 will become the German brand’s second most popular U.S. model (after the enduring A4)."

      November 30 - December 9, 2013.

      http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...y-13s-20120918
      Added emphasis to the above excerpt; "initially "

      These writers usually have decent information from the PR people that feed them the story. But have to play by the rules. I read initially to mean that the sportback is coming.

    12. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-26-2012 07:34 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by drew138 View Post
      Added emphasis to the above excerpt; "initially "

      These writers usually have decent information from the PR people that feed them the story. But have to play by the rules. I read initially to mean that the sportback is coming.
      I have to imagine that the business case is there: if Audi is able to sell ~5,000-6,000 Sportbacks as they currently are, while not big numbers it's also not insignificant. Especially if these become the 'alternative drivetrain' testbeds for Audi in North America, then all the better. We get some unique powertrain options and Audi gets a test platform that is marginally profitable and doesn't risk tainting the image of its more mainstream product if it flops.

      Really could be a win-win.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      635
      09-26-2012 10:30 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by kevlartoronto View Post
      let's hope that they drop the 180hp version of tdi engine in the a3 sedan to differentiate the a3 more from the jetta.
      And Quattro...

      Otherwise, why buy an A3 TDI when you can get a Jetta for WAY cheaper?
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff
      APR Stage II+ // Milltek CBE /w HFC // APR CPS // H&R Sport Springs

    14. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-26-2012 12:54 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      And Quattro...

      Otherwise, why buy an A3 TDI when you can get a Jetta for WAY cheaper?
      You've seen the new MQB A3, right? Lightyears ahead of the Jetta in both design, features and vehicle dynamics.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      635
      09-26-2012 01:12 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      You've seen the new MQB A3, right? Lightyears ahead of the Jetta in both design, features and vehicle dynamics.
      I mean for myself, I really am looking for a small list of features and of course quality.

      1) high output diesel, but not a deal breaker if I get a fuel efficient gas /w power
      2) must have AWD (Quattro)
      3) HID's
      4) Automatic climate control
      5) Nice interior
      6) Is not a SUV / CUV / whatever cool marketing name they are using today

      Everything else is a perk in my books. Yes maybe a Subaru or Ralliart would be better options, but the interiors are awful, even the STi and EVO's. The ability to actually drive a car is crushed where I live, and I really thought I would track my current car more, but have gone once in 3 years...no time.

      Without actually sitting in the vehicles side by side, a MQB A3 S-Line > Jetta, but a lesser A3, it looks *close*. Obviously will need to see it in person, but as it stands now the old 8P feels a tad dated to my friends VI Jetta TDI, when I looked at the 8P in July. Maybe I am just trying to hype up the A3 for when I can finally see it in person...
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff
      APR Stage II+ // Milltek CBE /w HFC // APR CPS // H&R Sport Springs

    16. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,456
      Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      09-26-2012 05:38 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      I have to imagine that the business case is there: if Audi is able to sell ~5,000-6,000 Sportbacks as they currently are, while not big numbers it's also not insignificant. Especially if these become the 'alternative drivetrain' testbeds for Audi in North America, then all the better. We get some unique powertrain options and Audi gets a test platform that is marginally profitable and doesn't risk tainting the image of its more mainstream product if it flops.

      Really could be a win-win.
      I agree with you and it will be interesting to see.

      The main problem I see is some of the current customers interested in a Sportback will go to the sedan (making the market smaller) and then it turns into which Sportback to bring. I don't see them bringing all variations and even on this forum you hear TDI quattro, gas quattro, FWD, DSG, manual, hybrid, etc. So even if they bring a variation of the Sportback or two it is almost guaranteed some won't be happy.

    17. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-26-2012 09:30 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      I agree with you and it will be interesting to see.

      The main problem I see is some of the current customers interested in a Sportback will go to the sedan (making the market smaller) and then it turns into which Sportback to bring. I don't see them bringing all variations and even on this forum you hear TDI quattro, gas quattro, FWD, DSG, manual, hybrid, etc. So even if they bring a variation of the Sportback or two it is almost guaranteed some won't be happy.
      As the old saying goes: you can make some of the people happy most of the time....

      Fact is, Audi doesn't have a large enough presence in North America to bring over everything that the Europeans get. Chalk a good chunk of that up to the federalization laws (which I wish would just get harmonized between the EU and US, fer' cryin' out loud), and the rest of it to a limited budget for marketing, after-sales support and dealership training/tooling.

      The good news is that the more Audi sells, the more powertrain options we will receive. My guess is that part of the delay in getting the Sportback here would be related to the North American launch timing of the Q3, which Audi confirmed we will get. I have no doubt that the Q3 will sell like hotcakes here, will be sold in S-tronic FWD and AWD 2.0T variants only, and that hopefully helps build the case for more Sportback powertrain options for us. ;-)

    18. Junior Member VeDubJetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      88
      Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5L, 2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T
      09-26-2012 11:34 PM #18
      It just isnt fair. Check 0:48 for Audi's shot at the Jetta haha.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVKuftfDcw

    19. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,228
      Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      09-27-2012 12:42 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VeDubJetta View Post
      It just isnt fair. Check 0:48 for Audi's shot at the Jetta haha.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVKuftfDcw
      Yeah that was definitely planned. Too bad they didn't think about continuity...at 1:16 he's driving north on 110 through Downtown LA which means he's driving away from LAX.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      635
      09-27-2012 09:58 AM #20
      Sorry, this article just happened to get me thinking about the A3 sedan...
      http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...und-sedan.html

      "In Europe, the car comes with five engine options including a 2.0-liter turbo diesel that will make 184 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque and a 1.8-liter turbocharged gas burner capable of 180 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque while offering 42 mpg."

      Why do I think the 2.0 TDI mentioned above simply won't be happening...more so if Audi goes through with the 1.8T...

      ...also found the YouTube video funny in the fact that it's the Sportsback in US...hope it comes...
      Last edited by Rudy_H; 09-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff
      APR Stage II+ // Milltek CBE /w HFC // APR CPS // H&R Sport Springs

    21. Member SoSuMi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2004
      Location
      Akron, OH
      Posts
      964
      Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      09-27-2012 10:24 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      ...My guess is that part of the delay in getting the Sportback here would be related to the North American launch timing of the Q3, which Audi confirmed we will get. I have no doubt that the Q3 will sell like hotcakes here, will be sold in S-tronic FWD and AWD 2.0T variants only, and that hopefully helps build the case for more Sportback powertrain options for us. ;-)
      Well, here's something from Edmunds:

      http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/pa...auto-show.html

      " ...Unfortunately for North American consumers, Audi has already gone on record with Edmunds saying the A3 Sportback will not be brought into the United States."

      ...that suggests no Sportback for u!... meaning all us NA gringos.

      I hope that Edmunds is mistaken and that, in fact, its you that has the real Inside Line
      ____________________

      Byron

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Posts
      300
      Vehicles
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      09-27-2012 11:34 AM #22
      by bringing the 184hp tdi engine, audi could create a competitive car to the up and coming 180hp bmw 320d while also differentiating their product from the 2l tdi offered by vw. as for the 1.8 gas engine? that's an interesting conundrum. the 2L offered presently produces more hp. i would be inclined to think audi would need to offer another engine with more hp to offset this move to the 1.8l.

    23. Member JOES1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2003
      Location
      Stuttgart, Germany
      Posts
      423
      09-27-2012 12:31 PM #23
      New video of sportback.

      http://www.motorbox.com/auto/audi-a3-sportback-1

      To be honest, living in Germany it looks pretty identical to an A1 Sportback.
      "Yes or no?"

      2010 Tiguan ---> Wife's Car (SOLD) replaced with 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      2009 GMC Sierra All Terrain ---> Sitting in storage stateside
      2015/6 Audi S3 ---> Patiently waiting

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Location
      Kitchener ON
      Posts
      635
      09-27-2012 02:06 PM #24
      http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/27/v...pt-paris-2012/

      Here's hoping Audi America does the RIGHT THING! Just say no to the 1.8T ...this would of course also follow what the 8P had.

      Volkswagen says the next-gen GTI will boast an 18-percent bump in fuel efficiency, which could see the sports hatch top 36 miles per gallon highway on the U.S. scale. Not too shabby, especially given the machine should retain its turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.

      Volkswagen has also rummaged up a few extra ponies, as the company claims the MkVII will dish out around 217 horsepower, a 17-horse nudge over the current generation.


      2.0 (TFSI?) - 220hp
      2.0 TDI - 184hp

      DO IT!!
      2010 Audi S4 // DSG // Phantom Black // Black Napa // Sports Diff
      APR Stage II+ // Milltek CBE /w HFC // APR CPS // H&R Sport Springs

    25. Member djdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Norcal
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      09-28-2012 12:04 AM #25
      The right thing would be to bring the Sportback to the USA. The commercials were fantastic btw...
      VWoA/AoA: Hatch (Golf R) or Sportback (S3) or Avant (B9 S4)

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2008
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      3,497
      09-28-2012 02:22 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/27/v...pt-paris-2012/

      Here's hoping Audi America does the RIGHT THING! Just say no to the 1.8T ...this would of course also follow what the 8P had.

      Volkswagen says the next-gen GTI will boast an 18-percent bump in fuel efficiency, which could see the sports hatch top 36 miles per gallon highway on the U.S. scale. Not too shabby, especially given the machine should retain its turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.

      Volkswagen has also rummaged up a few extra ponies, as the company claims the MkVII will dish out around 217 horsepower, a 17-horse nudge over the current generation.


      2.0 (TFSI?) - 220hp
      2.0 TDI - 184hp

      DO IT!!
      Looks like this will be the new valvelift 2.0T, given that it has a tremendous increase in torque. It is almost as much as the S3's torque.

    27. Member TWinbrook46636's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2003
      Posts
      1,211
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-07-2012 04:46 PM #27
      So it sounds like not only will we not get a Sportback here in the US but we also won't be getting a diesel version, not even of the sedan.

      Edmunds 9/26/12

      Unfortunately for North American consumers, Audi has already gone on record with Edmunds saying the A3 Sportback will not be brought into the United States.

      Edmunds says: Looks great, and the weight savings promises improved dynamics and fuel economy. It may be costly, though, so Audi's decision not to bring the A3 Sportback Stateside might be a reflection of its doubts about the size of the premium compact hatchback market here.
      AutoGuide 9/27/12

      A diesel variant could be in the cars given how gas conscious consumers are becoming, but it won’t happen any time soon if history is any indication.

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2010
      Location
      Walnut Creek. CA
      Posts
      150
      Vehicles
      2013 Autobahn
      10-07-2012 10:46 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      So it sounds like not only will we not get a Sportback here in the US but we also won't be getting a diesel version, not even of the sedan.
      Sounds about right..Americans don't buy hatchbacks and they don't buy diesels.

    29. Member Travis Grundke's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 1999
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      2,994
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      10-08-2012 07:40 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      So it sounds like not only will we not get a Sportback here in the US but we also won't be getting a diesel version, not even of the sedan.
      While everything is heresay and speculation at this point, I would take the Edmunds report with caution. Audi of America has stated that they are investigating the option of bringing the A3 Sportback to the US in alternative powertrain configurations. Whether that means diesel, hybrid, electric or CNG is anyones' guess right now. What I would suspect is that we will indeed get the Sportback but not during the initial product launch.

      As for diesel, I would find it hard to believe we won't get the diesel A3 in some form considering that the Sportback's fortunes in North America really improved with the introduction of the TDI models a few years ago. As is I think the monthly volume of diesels in the mix of A3s sold ranges between 47-53% on average. They're more profitable and dealers cannot keep them on lots.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2012
      Posts
      300
      Vehicles
      3.2L A4 avant 6 spd manual
      10-08-2012 10:10 AM #30
      i agree travis. i can't see audi discontinuing the diesel in NA. let's just hope they go for the higher output diesel with the intro of the sedan.

    31. Member caliatenza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Bakersfield, CA
      Posts
      3,231
      10-08-2012 08:55 PM #31
      how was the reliablity of the previous gen A3? I really like this car but im scared by potential problems, and VAG products have historically had sub-par reliablity.

    32. Member TWinbrook46636's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2003
      Posts
      1,211
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-08-2012 10:19 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dogbolter View Post
      Sounds about right..Americans don't buy hatchbacks and they don't buy diesels.
      Not sure if you were being sarcastic as at least half of the A3 Sportbacks sold in the US are diesels and something like 80% of Jetta Sportwagens sold are diesels as well. The Golf TDI seems a very popular choice. I know I bought one.
      Last edited by TWinbrook46636; 10-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.

    33. Member TWinbrook46636's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2003
      Posts
      1,211
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-08-2012 10:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      While everything is heresay and speculation at this point, I would take the Edmunds report with caution. Audi of America has stated that they are investigating the option of bringing the A3 Sportback to the US in alternative powertrain configurations. Whether that means diesel, hybrid, electric or CNG is anyones' guess right now. What I would suspect is that we will indeed get the Sportback but not during the initial product launch.

      As for diesel, I would find it hard to believe we won't get the diesel A3 in some form considering that the Sportback's fortunes in North America really improved with the introduction of the TDI models a few years ago. As is I think the monthly volume of diesels in the mix of A3s sold ranges between 47-53% on average. They're more profitable and dealers cannot keep them on lots.
      Just to add more confusion Car and Driver just added:

      "The five-door Sportback is likely to arrive in turbo-four form–only; don’t expect an oil-burning five-door A3"

      That makes no sense to me as it sold very well as a diesel, better than the gas version.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2008
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      3,497
      10-09-2012 12:00 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      Not sure if you were being sarcastic as at least half of the A3 Sportbacks sold in the US are diesels and something like 80% of Jetta Sportwagens sold are diesels as well. The Golf TDI seems a very popular choice. I know I bought one.
      The diesel A3 has such high percentage of total sales because total A3 sales are so low. If the A4 diesel accounted for half of A4 sales, then it would be considered wildly successful.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2010
      Location
      Walnut Creek. CA
      Posts
      150
      Vehicles
      2013 Autobahn
      10-09-2012 11:45 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      Not sure if you were being sarcastic as at least half of the A3 Sportbacks sold in the US are diesels and something like 80% of Jetta Sportwagens sold are diesels as well. The Golf TDI seems a very popular choice. I know I bought one.
      Well a touch of sarcasm certainly. It appears a lot of the cars I like and read about in the various mags aren't coming here as hatchbacks and diesels, as they don't sell well. For example BMW 1 series hatchback, Merc A class hatchback, Mini diesel etc

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •