Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: i'm a cop chasing a bike. i think i'll use the PIT maneuver on it

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      09-21-2012 03:07 PM #1
      http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/raci...e-abuse-video/
      Believe me when I say, no one hates a squid on a sport bike more than a law-abidding motorcyclist, and after watching the videos after jump of the 10th Annual “Streetfighterz Ride of the Century,” we can’t help but roll our eyes as we yet again see a bunch of morons with a motorcycle endorsements popping wheelies and riding on the highway’s shoulder, all while clad in next-to-nothing gear. These are the type of motorcyclists we have a supreme hatred for, since nine times out of ten, they are doing far too good of a job at giving the rest of us a bad name.

That being said, the actions seen here by some Missouri Highway Patrol and the St. Louis County police officers is downright reproachable, if not criminal in our eyes. Did these BikerBoyz wannabes deserve some righteous ticketing? Yeah probably. Do they need a schooling in proper roadside etiquette and a re-education on the basic principals of ATGATT? Absolutely. But did 5-0 cross the line when they started intentionally ramming motorcyclists who weren’t with their squad cars, including bikes that were being ridden two-up with a blameless passenger on-board? You’re god damn right they did.

Let me get something straight: I’m not one of these “**** the police” type of motorcyclists. In actuality, I’m the opposite, and I am more than thankful for our officers who keep the peace day-in and day-out. Like many motorcyclists though, I can lay claim to having gotten harassed by an officer or two — all while I was breaking no law, and I have seen other motorcyclists get similar treatment by the police for presumably the sole-reason of what form of transportation they were on. However, I am also adult enough to realize those singular acts are just that…singular acts by singular people.

For more than a decade my various jobs have had me working in close proximity of law enforcement officers, from every cut and every possible jurisdiction. At their core, they are civil servants — men and women who have dedicated their life to serving our communities. Sometimes they get things wrong, and sometimes they just make mistakes, but most of the time they get it right, and even under tough conditions.

I am trying to hold that thought in my mind as I watch these officers use their cars to intentionally knock over motorcyclists and their passengers in these videos. And for what??! Popping a wheelie on a freeway?

I don’t condone the actions of either party here, and I certainly don’t condone evading a lawful stop from a peace officer, but at some point in those 5+ minute videos, the actions undertaken to apprehend and detain these motorcyclists greatly out-weighed the alleged crime they committed. And the real reality of the situation is that the group by-in-large appeared to be law-abidding, sans for a few bad apples who just never seemed to grow out of the second grade.

Keep an eye on this story. I don’t think we have seen the last of it yet

Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      09-21-2012 03:33 PM #2
      I watched the video, but I didn't see anyone actually get knocked over by the police?

I did see a bunch of these asshats going the wrong way up an on-ramp, as well as cutting across the grass in front of cars coming up on the side, and getting hit each time, though neither left an upright position...
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 03:35 PM #3
      it's not about if they got knocked, it's about unreasonable force. totaly agree they deserve tickets but don't think they deserve to be hit with a car....
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 03:38 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      it's not about if they got knocked, it's about unreasonable force. totaly agree they deserve tickets but don't think they deserve to be hit with a car....
      That's just it. I'm not seeing any of the cops going OUT OF THEIR WAY to hit a bike. I do see them refusing to swerve wildly to avoid a bike (on ramp) and possibly not slamming on the brakes to avoid the one cutting in front of them (grass), but I don't see any PITting in the video linked.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

5. 09-21-2012 04:09 PM #5
      What I see here is a whiney ass complaining that the police wont allow them to be douchebags on their bikes.

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      09-21-2012 04:22 PM #6
      pitt maneuver is 100% suitable. asshats got less than they deserved.

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 04:25 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post
      pitt maneuver is 100% suitable. asshats got less than they deserved.
      not possible to use on a motorcycle. either bike stays up, or operator gets hurt. The car one is actually considered safe (well as safe as spinning a car on a highway can be)

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 04:27 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I do see them refusing to swerve wildly to avoid a bike (on ramp)
      at 3:40 you can see him turning into the bike

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 04:57 PM #9
      at 3:40 you can see him turning into the bike
      I don't see "hey let me knock this guy over" I see "hey let me get my car in front of oh **** that isn't going to work time to stop" as he applies the brakes to stop turning. If he'd kept turning he'd probably have spilled the two of them onto pavement as the side of the car caught the back tire.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Speed Triple
      09-23-2012 07:11 AM #10
      All I see is a bunch of morons trying to get away from the police anyway possible. The two "impacts" are because the riders are on some stupid **** and do illegal things. Seems to me that these cops did most everything they could.

Vehicles
      Mk6 golf tdi
      09-23-2012 06:35 PM #11
      Why was the road block even set? This was the beginning of the ride?
      Miss my mk5 gti,e28 535is, mk3 jetta, mk2 jetta coupe, mk1 rabbit gti:, 67 type one bug,will always be on the look out for another e28 or fb or fc rx7.
      xboxlive: rattymk5mike

Vehicles
      09-23-2012 07:29 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bigbumpmike View Post
      Why was the road block even set? This was the beginning of the ride?
      Well into it, judging by all the other ROC 2012 videos.

Vehicles
      Nissan Pathfinder 4.0l. KTM 250 XC
      09-23-2012 08:24 PM #13
      I think the cops used excellent restraint. That must have been pretty nerve racking trying to keep track of hundreds of fragile motorcycles around your 4000lb crown vic cruiser. It seems to me that dozens of traffic laws are being broken in this vid, and as they are "highway patrol" they cant exactly just ignore it. Getting involved was there only option.
      Corrado: because I always wanted to get heckled by elitist pricks over the internet.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      09-24-2012 09:25 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      That's just it. I'm not seeing any of the cops going OUT OF THEIR WAY to hit a bike. I do see them refusing to swerve wildly to avoid a bike (on ramp) and possibly not slamming on the brakes to avoid the one cutting in front of them (grass), but I don't see any PITting in the video linked.
      ^ This - I'm an ex cop and on my last department, we had a strict no chase policy (cars or bikes - they still happened though). If one of those cruisers went out of their way to pit any of those bikes, you would've seen bikes and bodies flying around. I'm glad to see a thread about cops on the 'tex where the overwhelming opinion seems to actually be PRO cop for a change

Vehicles
      09-24-2012 09:33 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      ^ This - I'm an ex cop and on my last department, we had a strict no chase policy (cars or bikes - they still happened though). If one of those cruisers went out of their way to pit any of those bikes, you would've seen bikes and bodies flying around. I'm glad to see a thread about cops on the 'tex where the overwhelming opinion seems to actually be PRO cop for a change
      The amazing thing is the TCL version of this thread is similarly pro-cop, too. I was SHOCKED.

Just goes to prove that nobody likes a squid.