Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS PACKAGE DEAL! '86 4-door Golf wolfsburg OEM+ w/ low miles, lots of recent work & new parts, original LE7N Flash Silver paint + 90 Golf 4-door parts car WV/OH/PA/VA/MD area

Vehicles
      1986 Golf GL, 1990 Golf GL
      09-22-2012 05:41 PM #1
      <b>** PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND THE PROJECT LINKS PROVIDED **</b>

1986 Golf GL Wolfsburg Edition 8v 5-speed - LE7N Flash Silver Metallic original paint (rare color) - OEM+ - starts, runs and drives (though I recommend bringing a trailer, read on):

PLUS a parts car!

1990 Golf GL Wolfsburg - has something like 230,000 miles on it - 75-80% complete but would need some love to bring 'er back (definitely bring a trailer):

<b>BOTH cars have titles in my name, silver car is registered, insured and was inspected thru 6/2012</b>

Hate to do it, but running a business has left me with no real time to play with this and it deserves to be passed on to a new home. This car has had a lot of work and fresh parts. Was purchased by another member (dubsport87) a couple of years ago, the proverbial old lady car, all original with low miles. He did a lot of work to start, and then sold it to me. I've done a lot of work to it and I was prepping it for paint when the project got derailed and delayed by unforeseen circumstances.

You can read dubsport87's original project thread here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...project-thread

Work he did (late 2009, early 2010):

<b>Spark plugs
      Thermostat
      K&N Filter
      Distributor cap
      distributor
      Valve cover gasket
      Fan switch
      Gasket radiator fan switch
      Expansion tank hose
      Coolant, VW/Audi G12 Plus
      Lubro-Moly Radiator Flush
      E-brake cables
      Front brake lines
      New hatch struts

He also swapped out the rear glass with an earlier no-3rd-brake light version for a cleaner look. Passenger mirror was shaved but has since been replaced.</b>

<b>A note about the mileage:</b> When dubsport87 bought this car the odometer read just over 30,000 miles. He put about 2500 miles on. However, a VIN check done when I purchased the car (April, 2010) showed something more like 80k. The story is the odo stopped working (they are notorious for breaking) and was swapped, I have no idea when but I'm guessing earlier on. It's cleaner than any VW I've ever owned, anyway. My *guess* is that the actual mileage is more like 100k, still relatively young by any measure.

I bought the car in April, 2010 in Phoenixville, PA and drove it about 400 miles back to West Virginia with no issues. You can read my entire project thread here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...or-OEM-project **** Please read the thread, you'll read about issues I've had with the car and (generally) how they were addressed. I'll also go over some of that here.

I daily drove this car 15-20 miles a day for a little over a year, from April 2010 to June of 2011. I intentionally sidelined the car at that point to get it ready for paint.

<b>Work I've done or had done to the car in that time:

Recaro front seats
      FK Streetline Coilovers
      Techtonics short shifter
      nearly brand new Hankook tires
      Clarion CD player & Kicker front and back speakers
      Installed new wiper control stalk
      New starter
      Replaced fan motor with the one from the gold car
      New front axles
      Painted fan shroud
      New front control arms & bushings
      New tie rods
      New ball joints
      Hard plastic rain tray installed
      Installed accordion shift boot & leather shift knob from the gold car
      New stainless exhaust from the cat back
      Light-weight OEM "bottlecap" wheels (no center caps)
      Replaced all four door handles
      Re-installed passenger mirror w/ new OEM gasket
      Seafoam'd the engine
      New badges (not yet installed)
      New passenger side front bearing & hub
      New drivers' side front bearing & hub (not yet installed)
      New front brake rotors
      New front Mintex brake pads
      Newly remanufactured front brake calipers
      New brake fluid
      New brake pad clips, caliper dust caps, rotor set screws

</b>

How the car looked when I first bought it:

Original under-hood stickers:

Rare original color, LE7N Flash Silver Metallic, only available as an option on '86 Wolfsburg Editions (also has a unique interior tweed cloth pattern on the seats & door cards):

Recaros (condition is about 8/10, foam is great, have a couple of small flaws):

Original Wolfsburg Edition tweed cloth door cards & rear seat (front seats have been replaced with Recaros):

Intact, nearly flawless headliner (this is the harder version, not nearly as prone to sagging as the later cloth versions):

Techtonics short shifter (cleaned up shifting nicely!)

New starter:

Replaced fan motor & painted fan shroud (motor came out of the '90 Golf, had to splice the wiring due to the different connectors but it works like a champ)

Replaced almost everything on the front end:

New axles:

New control arms & ball joints:

FK Streetline coilovers:

Boot & knob from the gold car:

New exhaust:

Bottlecaps (decent shape, some flaws, could use a respray):

New door handles (and the other new axle):

Re-installed passenger mirror w/ new OEM gasket:

New badges (not yet installed):

New front bearings & hub (only passenger side installed so far):

New brakes, rotors & calipers:

And that is where the project stalled out. My plans were to swap the doors on the silver car (which have rust at the bottom edges on a couple of them due to clogged drain plugs) with the much, much cleaner "big" doors from the gold car, and then have the car painted. I started removing body panels from both cars and sent them to a paint shop to begin prep work. The owner of the paint shop then *completely* flaked, wrote a bunch of bad checks, and closed down his business with my panels still inside (you can read the whole, sad story in my project thread). I was able to finally recover my parts, albeit with a few extra scratches that weren't there before

I brought everything to a friend's garage and it sat like that for most of the last year, being started occasionally.

<b>Due to the paint prep, the silver car currently looks like this (hood & fenders from the gold car):</b>

Depending on the buyer, I can go ahead and put the silver panels back on, or leave it as is if you think you're going to paint it and you want paint them off the car.

Clean "big" doors from the gold car:

If I put it back together you'll get it like this:

Now I've done a lot of work to this car but it still has a few issues that need to be addressed. If I were keeping this car, I would:

- Repaint it. The original Flash Silver Metallic paint looks good from a distance but has typical flaws up close. Faded pretty good on the roof, small scratches and dings throughout (all easy enough to fix before paint). Doing this would also require you to:

- Fix a bit of rust. As mentioned, there is rust at the bottom edge of a couple of the doors due to clogged door drains, and there is a small bit of rust in the rear arches. I was going to either repair that and run flares (which I also have), was considering cutting the good metal from the gold car and you have that option too (you can see the rust in this photo, on the back side of the rear arch):

<b>THE REST OF THE CAR IS RUST-FREE. GAS CAP, STRUT TOWERS, UNDERBODY IS ALL GOOD!</B>

- Fix a bad seal in the fuel tank access hatch (located under the carpet in the rear hatch). Because of this bad seal, you can smell fuel in the cabin <b>only when the tank is full</b>. My lazy man solution to this is to only fill the tank up about 3/4 of the way, in which case you can't smell it at all

- replace the remaining three wheel bearings (PS front has been replaced, the other 3 could use it). This is why I recommend bringing a trailer, you can hear the driver's side front making noise when you get to about 30-40mph.

- fix the front bumper (side clips are broken, which is why it has that slight sag you see in the photos)

- replace the drip rails (pretty haggard, was either going to use the rails from the gold car or track down new ones)

- replace the front wiper fluid motor (it sprays, but is pretty weak)

- replace the PS rear tail light (housing is cracked, was going to replace with one from the gold car and just haven't done it yet)

With this deal you'll also get all of my spare parts and VW stuff, including:

<b>a set of 4 fender flares (bought them a long time ago, I think they're from a GLI)
      a nearly complete set of brand new, OEM badges (Golf, GL, Volkswagen, one WB badge)
      all new belts
      new timing belt
      new timing belt tensioner
      brand new driver's side wheel bearing and hub
      a replacement 3-slat Aero grill
      replacement interior b-pillars (for the big door swap, these will help relocate your seatbelts from the b-pillar to the door itself)
      a brand new water pump (bought by the previous owner, not needed)
      a new ignition switch (also bought but not needed)
      an extra wiper stalk (essentially brand new, but I think it's for a Jetta)
      a BENTLEY service manual
      smoked banana lights
      a Corrado steering wheel (big spline, you can use the adapter from the gold car)
      Gold car has all-new coolant hoses & coolant pipe that can be pulled to use in the silver if needed
      lots of other stuff I'm probably forgetting, I'll update this as I find things</b>

<b>Other notes:</b>

Exterior:

7/10 As mentioned, the paint is all original and has flaws. Scratches, dings, a good bit of fading on the roof (see photos). Looks great at a short distance, still could use a respray. There is one tiny bit of trim missing on the drivers' side front fender (was going to replace all the trim with the "fat" trim from the gold car once it was repainted).

Interior:

8/10 Looks great. Dash has (I believe) one small crack near the vents, chrome stripe is intact all the way around. Original Wolfsburg tweed cloth door cards & rear bench looks like it's never been sat in. The Recaros have a small cigarette burn on the driver's side (I've never smoked in this car, this was a previous owner), also some damage to the piping on the passenger side. Headliner is intact and looks tip top.

Engine & transmission:

Original 8 valve, 5-speed manual. has been gone through and serviced, runs strong, has made numerous interstate trips without issue and was used and driven daily until the paint shop fiasco. Battery is dead, last started it with a jump about a month ago to move it. Drove across town just fine but the DS wheel bearing seems to be making some noise. Car comes with a replacement. Shifts great (TT short shifter installed). Shifter box itself could be re-built to tighten things up even more. Car has a new stainless cat back exhaust and is pretty zippy for an 8v.

Car also has the occasional drip of oil, and a slight coolant leak right at the plastic flange on the front of the engine (easy, accessible fix and I have a spare flange somewhere to go with it)

Now to the gold car..

I've owned this car for years and have driven it all over the country. Bought it from my brother, used to be a demo car for his car audio shop. It's been poorly repainted (used to be silver as well, door jambs still are). 8v, 5-speed manual, 230k+ miles. I got it to start last time it was 100% together, but have since been taking parts off here and there for the other car (fan motor, various bits here and there). Due to the paint shop fiasco, this car has been sitting outdoors with no doors or hood for an inexcusable amount of time (about a year). I've not looked at it up close in a while, but chances are the cloth interior bits are beat. This car *could* be resurrected but my intention was just to cannibalize it whenever I needed something and then part out the rest. It currently looks like this:

<b>So there you have it. Please, please read and re-read the threads linked in this ad, and send any questions that you have via PM.

MY ASKING PRICE (TO START) FOR THE WHOLE DEAL (BOTH CARS AND ALL MY SPARE PARTS) IS $2800 OBO.</B> This is a decent place to start, I've definitely got more into this car in parts and labor but I'm prepared to take a loss. Having said that, I don't *need* to sell this car and crazy lowball offers need not bother. I have a price in mind and, if I can't get it, I'll just keep it and finish it up some day. This is a great project car that could be show-worthy with a little bit of extra effort, or could be a super-reliable daily driver with even less effort. Of course, if you don't want the parts car the price would come down some, but not a ton. I am flexible within reason.

Car is located in West Virginia, right on the Ohio border. I'm about 2 hours east of Columbus, 2-3 hours south of Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Please get in touch, ask any questions that you may have and I'll answer ASAP. I'm not at all interested in hiding anything about these cars will be as open an honest as I can with any inquiries. Any prospective buyers are welcome to contact me to set a time to come and look. Thanks!

Questions can also be sent to me at unemployedhandmodel (at) yahoo (dot) com

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 10:08 AM #2

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Le Bomber.
      10-02-2012 04:29 PM #3
      Aww, come on james. Dont give up yet.
      Fifteen52's Official Facebook Page!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      tl;dr = bitches be crazy
      If I have a post on here that has a dead pic PM me, I selfishly reorganized my photobucket in boredom.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 01:29 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Aww, come on james. Dont give up yet.
      I'm on the fence, buddy. If I don't get any bites before the weather turns cold I'll just keep hacking away at it.

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf 2.0, MK2 Jetta
      10-05-2012 01:47 AM #5
      PM sent.
      IG: @kawahbunga

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 06:35 PM #6

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 10:46 AM #7

Vehicles
      1984 rabbit and a 1982 KZ750 Street Machine
      10-30-2012 05:08 PM #8
      interested in selling the seats?

Vehicles
      10-31-2012 11:43 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by waynecarpenter View Post
      interested in selling the seats?
      Sent you a PM

Vehicles
      11-29-2012 11:47 AM #10

Vehicles
      01-02-2013 02:27 PM #11

Vehicles
      02-02-2013 07:42 PM #12

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 jeep wrangler Sahara fully modded
      02-13-2013 10:33 AM #13
      Are you still selling?

Vehicles
      02-14-2013 12:54 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Fieldz124 View Post
      Are you still selling?
      Yes, most definitely. Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions!