Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First Drive of 2013 Cadillac ATS

1. 09-24-2012 12:28 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      acceleration wise the V6 essentially matches the Type-S TCL favorite but with +6mpg overall. Plus for the people who thought the previous gen had too many buttons that was also toned down and its outward size shrunk while increasing interior space and cargo room. For the average buyer who doesn't care about fingertip precision (even the F30 is number than last gen and the one before, etc.), acceleration, mpg, and interior/safety comforts are more important.

Back to the caddy it is trying to compete with the 3...which means it competes on the ridiculous pricing of the options. That's really all is there to say about that.
      The Accord V6 may match the Type S in the acceleration but not in handling department. I much prefer the TSX over the V6 Accord, better overall car for less money, unless you really need the extra space.
      Last edited by MonsterM; 09-24-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      09-24-2012 12:28 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Those cars look better than the Clown car version of the Murano.
      again, very little to zero cars in that segment look good. however, if that encore has a slightly hopped up version of the 1.4T in the cruze, it'll probably be very successful in its segment (and get pretty good mileage). everyone bad mouths that motor as being underpowered, but we have one in our cruze and i'll say the torks are near instant and it makes more torks then hp.

as a related ATS note, the 2.0T is easily capable of making more torque than horsepower...as most of the tuned LNF's already do.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

3. 09-24-2012 12:49 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I would rather buy a TSX for much less than the V6 Accord. Its a good car but so is the new Altima, Camry and Sonata. You cannot compare the Accord to the ATS, they are two different vehicles.
      I don't think he was comparing the Accord to the ATS rather showing an example of what you can get for a lot less money. I've said it from the start, i think the ATS is really nice but it is overpriced IMO. The base 2.5 4 cylinder is about $34K, right now you could get a G37 for less than that. Also to get the 3.6 V6 decently optioned (not loaded) you're looking at $50K, That's M37, GS350, A6 territory.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      09-24-2012 12:57 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      I don't think he was comparing the Accord to the ATS rather showing an example of what you can get for a lot less money. I've said it from the start, i think the ATS is really nice but it is overpriced IMO. The base 2.5 4 cylinder is about $34K, right now you could get a G37 for less than that. Also to get the 3.6 V6 decently optioned (not loaded) you're looking at $50K, That's M37, GS350, A6 territory.
      Cadillac expects most of the ATS volume will come from the 2.5 and 2.0 motors. I think they are only offering the V6 for the traditional customer that can't accept anything less than a V6 in a luxury sedan.

Vehicles
      26 of them
      09-24-2012 12:59 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Put that way, I will not be finding anyone

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      09-24-2012 01:02 PM #31
      it actually reinforces my view the ATS-V will be a boosted 3.6L. it's already DI and has significant aftermarket FI options in the camaro world...so why not strap a blower/turbo on it and make it very fast.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      09-24-2012 02:41 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      Holy bajeezus! That thing is just stupid looking.

Anyway...interesting about the base 2.5L. Much like you did, I would've expected it to be kind of wheezy.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      09-24-2012 03:44 PM #33
      On the other hand, you get significantly more content for your dollar, at any trim level, than any of the German three - which hit $50k when you look at them cross-eyed. Same as with the M, GS, and A6, which all are screaming towards $65k when equipped as well as a $50k ATS.

It's a bargain compared to them. And yes, the G37 is about the same price, depending on incentives. But frankly, the ATS is as good as any of them, and it shouldn't be expected to sell exclusively because it's the cheapest. It's not the cheapest, and it's a fully competitive choice in the segment that should be priced as such.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-24-2012 03:48 PM #34
      It's also smack dab in the middle of BMW 3 sereis territory, when that car is optioned up similarly. Which is the point. Caddy is a premium brand, trying to get premium prices for a car that competes evenly with other premium cars of the same class. Just because it's not going out the door for Cruze money does not make it overpriced.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-24-2012 03:56 PM #35
      So I happened to see the first ATS on its way to my dealer still on the truck today. It was a blue one. I like the way it looks.

Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-24-2012 07:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      MINI sells 2000+ Countrymans every month at the same or higher price point as the Encore, and most of TCL thought they were ugly as well. I think with what we know at the moment, the Encore is being unfairly ragged on.

That said, let's shift back to the ATS. I'm glad to hear even an automatic, 2.5l model has a great driving experience!
      yeah i thought the base motor was gonna suck lol. I think Cadillac dropped the ball on the pricing though...i wish they would have undercut the 3 series a lot more...

Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-24-2012 08:02 PM #37
      you can also get a almost fully loaded C250 for a shade under 40. I really really like the ATS, but i just cant get my head around the pricing...the 2.0T model seems like it could get pricey really fast when loaded up with everything.

13. Member
      09-24-2012 08:36 PM #38
      I saw one of these on the road this morning. I couldn't believe my eyes! Looks really good in the flesh. I had no idea they were out now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      09-24-2012 09:11 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by caliatenza View Post
      yeah i thought the base motor was gonna suck lol. I think Cadillac dropped the ball on the pricing though...i wish they would have undercut the 3 series a lot more...
      If the ATS meets or even exceeds the BMW, why would it have to be priced considerably lower? Regardless, I bet they will lease very well and move a lot of units comparatively speaking for this segment.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      09-25-2012 11:48 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by caliatenza View Post
      you can also get a almost fully loaded C250 for a shade under 40.
      When I built a C250 it soared across the $40,000 mark quite quickly without ticking anything I would considered crazy. I really don't see the big fuss about the pricing. If Cadillac priced this lower then people would be up in arms saying that Cadillac cannot compete with the Germans at a similar price. I think the brand is far more concerned with getting back its luxury image for the future than picking up every value shopper it can, and pricing a competitive car at a competitive price rather than at a discount is exactly the way to go about achieving that goal. They can always give away rebates later if necessary.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      09-25-2012 01:26 PM #41
      If the ATS meets or even exceeds the BMW, why would it have to be priced considerably lower? Regardless, I bet they will lease very well and move a lot of units comparatively speaking for this segment.
      The subject of "undercutting BMW pricing" comes up in every ATS thread. I think the Escalade, SRX, and some trim levels of the CTS and XTS show that Caddy can ask for prices on par with the Germans.

09-25-2012 01:36 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      again, very little to zero cars in that segment look good.

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      09-25-2012 01:40 PM #43
      ^^^^

You are helping support his statement...

Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-25-2012 02:10 PM #44
      And you can get the same kind of pricing issue with BMW 3 series, Audi A4, or Mercedes C class....whats the problem here?

If we are comparing purely on equipment per price basis, we would all be driving mid-size family cars, as none of these premium segment sport/sporty sedans are really that value priced. Even the G37, you can get similarly loaded Altima on equipment basis for less.....

09-25-2012 02:11 PM #45
      ^^^^

You are helping support his statement...
      They both look much better than the Encore. The Encore is a disgrace.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      09-25-2012 02:14 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by baljet View Post
      They are also both ten grand more.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

09-25-2012 02:16 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      They are also both ten grand more.
      So what. The Sportage is even less and looks better than the Buick.
      2015 Subaru WRX Limited (World Rally Blue Pearl)
      2015 Kia Soul + (Caribbean Blue Special Edition)
      Quote Originally Posted by Racinger
      As for the rest of the VW line up we all know they are sports cars dressed up as commuter cars. A fact that explains the enormous worldwide success of their fine automobiles.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      09-25-2012 02:18 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      So what. The Sportage is even less and looks better than the Buick.
      Not going to argue with that. But start the comparison where it starts.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      09-25-2012 02:30 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by baljet View Post
      His comment was that nothing in this segment looks good. And while those may look better than the Encore - hard to say unless you've seen one in person - neither of them is what I would considered good-looking in any sense of the word. One has the excitement factor of a 2 week old cat turd and the other looks like a Chinese caricature.

25. 09-25-2012 02:55 PM #50
      Encore is the best-looking vehicle in the segment. If they gave it to us with a manual transmission I'd replace my DD with it. So I guess at least ONE person likes it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast