The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My First Drive of 2013 Cadillac ATS

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-03-2012 03:18 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      The measurements are somewhat ambiguous as to whether the ATS has a room advantage. Can anyone 6' or taller who's sat in an ATS chime in?
      No offense, but a COMPACT car should be... well... compact. And that first gen Lexus IS was PERFECT size for me.

Today's compact is well beyond what compacts were a decade ago so IMHO... I don't want ANY of them to grow any more. Obviously one's opinion of comfort/fitment in a cabin is subjective to a degree and while it might seem tight to you... it is more than adequate for my 5'7" 142lb frame. And there's more than enough in the rear for my girls.

I highly doubt a 6' footer would have issues in the front since they even make cars like the Spark have plenty of room these days for you folks on the other side of the spectrum. But the reality has always been that if you want more space... you buy the next size up. Otherwise... there would be no such thing as vehicle size classes.

Today's 7 Series and S Class and A8 are so damn HUGE, because they are being pushed from the bottom end. When a car like that starts pushing over 2 tons... you have to wonder what is going on.

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-03-2012 03:22 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The ATS 2.5 that I drove also had leather wrapped everything.
      The platform folks were asking us if we could wrap the transmission in leather and we were...

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      10-03-2012 03:30 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      BMW owners have usually tested all 3 and say they wanted a car that was involving and a real drivers car.
      From what I see on the road, most BMW drivers bought their car based on status, cachet, etc. and wouldn't know what to do with a real drivers car if it came up and bit them in the a$$...

Regarding the Buick - don't like the look and especially don't like the size. When did something big enough to eclipse the sun become mid-size?

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-03-2012 03:37 PM #104
      People lease poverty spec 3 series and Mini Coopers here because they are cheaper to lease than a Civic / Accord V6. Not to mention, the 3 year scheduled maintenance (they should just call it 3 free oil changes during the 3 year lease term..) is included with a new lease. Most people do not know that their 323i is RWD either (Saintor, did you know that?)

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      10-03-2012 03:54 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      No offense, but a COMPACT car should be... well... compact. And that first gen Lexus IS was PERFECT size for me.

Today's compact is well beyond what compacts were a decade ago so IMHO... I don't want ANY of them to grow any more. Obviously one's opinion of comfort/fitment in a cabin is subjective to a degree and while it might seem tight to you... it is more than adequate for my 5'7" 142lb frame. And there's more than enough in the rear for my girls.

I highly doubt a 6' footer would have issues in the front since they even make cars like the Spark have plenty of room these days for you folks on the other side of the spectrum. But the reality has always been that if you want more space... you buy the next size up. Otherwise... there would be no such thing as vehicle size classes.

Today's 7 Series and S Class and A8 are so damn HUGE, because they are being pushed from the bottom end. When a car like that starts pushing over 2 tons... you have to wonder what is going on.
      There's a difference between size and packaging. I'm 6'0, 32" inseam. A 144" long MINI has excellent room for me and no issues getting in or out. A 176" long IS300 had reasonable room for me up front, and no issues getting in or out. A 180" long IS250 has poor room for me up front, and I have to contort my legs in strange ways to get in or out. I actually managed to hurt my knee getting out of the first one I sat in at the NAIAS in 2007, and I really wanted to like that car.

I don't want the next size class up. I want interior ergonomics that are designed to accommodate me. The current IS just doesn't work for me and many tall people.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-03-2012 04:45 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Looking at the configurator, who am I kidding, the 2.0T is just a bit more money with the MT.

The 2.5 was just fine though IMO. Kind of makes me wonder what if the 2.5 came in at a lower price point.

Perhaps the next Camaro will be poverty-spec enough to replace my Cruze. The ATS 2.5 with a Cruze's level of features -- a modern day Nova -- I'd totally be all over that.
      I think the Chevy Code 130 concept is the car you are looking for. It's about the size of a BMW 1-Series, and based on a shortened version of the ATS Alpha platform. RWD, lightweight, and powered by a range of turbo 4 cylinders.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 2011 EX35
      10-03-2012 05:06 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      I think the Chevy Code 130 concept is the car you are looking for. It's about the size of a BMW 1-Series, and based on a shortened version of the ATS Alpha platform. RWD, lightweight, and powered by a range of turbo 4 cylinders.
      I highly doubt that will see production, or that anything like it will make production. The next camaro will be on the same Alpha platform, and I don't see Chevy selling 2 RWD coupes that would probably overlap in price based on trim levels.

It is a very cool concept, though, and it would be neat if they actually did produce it.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-03-2012 05:20 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      The platform folks were asking us if we could wrap the transmission in leather and we were...
      Driving this leather lined car made me miss Pontiac. I am not really a luxury car kind of person. I prefer an honest and simple car without a lot of pretense. The ATS is a great car, but I'd like this platform without the leather, infotainment, and even the relatively few bits of chrome. This car would have been the replacement for the G6. Pity we will never see such a capable car but at Pontiac prices.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345