Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: remote control

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-22-2012 11:34 PM #1
      I'm looking into getting a remote for my system. I looked into the logitech harmony 1100 and the harmony link. I need something to control my reciever, ps3, cable, and dvd player. Any suggestions or experience with either logitech remote?

thanx

Vehicles
      2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 BlueTEC
      09-23-2012 01:16 PM #2
      Not with those two specific remotes but I have the Harmony One (for four years) and the Harmony 900 (almost a full year) in different rooms. I like both of them.
      Chris
      "All hail Dr. Chris, doctor of money medicine!" --Tornado2dr
      "annuity = financial abortion." --jnm2.0t

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-23-2012 05:50 PM #3
      thanx
      I had my heart set on a screen but I'm reading great reviews on those 2 remotes.

4. 09-24-2012 10:43 AM #4
      I like my Harmony One. It does have a fully programmable touch screen, but I wouldn't want to do without the buttons. Touch screen only would get annoying I think because screen has to be on to work, and you need to tilt it/shake it to get it on.. buttons always work, and they work by tactile feel.

I use it as my only remote in the main viewing room to control: receiver, u-verse, bluray, plasma, projector, projector screen.

I've programmed a bunch of macros to control the devices. When I first pick up the remove, I see the "activities screen" that lists my options: TV on Plasma, TV on projector, BluRay on Plasma, BluRay on Projector, PS3 on TV, PS3 on Projector. Press the button, remote takes care of the rest.

Example, I press TV on Plasma. Turns plasma on, turns uverse on, turns receiver on and switches to "cab/sat" input. If I'm done and want to watch a bluray on the projector, I go back to activities screen and press BluRay on Projector.. turns TV off, turns uverse off, turns projector on, lowers screen, switches receiver to "bluray/dvd" input.

Logitech remotes definitely have a shelf life though. After 5 or so years (not sure how Long I've owned it), the internal accelerometer is showing some age, and sometimes it takes a more aggressive shake to wake it up and get the screen to turn on. My brother said the same about his. Just a subtle annoyance at this point, and not a big deal but I suspect eventually I'll have to replace it.

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-24-2012 01:46 PM #5
      Thank you for such a detailed explaination.

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      09-24-2012 02:39 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      Logitech remotes definitely have a shelf life though. After 5 or so years (not sure how Long I've owned it), the internal accelerometer is showing some age, and sometimes it takes a more aggressive shake to wake it up and get the screen to turn on. My brother said the same about his. Just a subtle annoyance at this point, and not a big deal but I suspect eventually I'll have to replace it.
      Agreed. I have an 850 (4 years old). It still works, but it's getting tired. It needs time to "wake up" sometimes. The volume buttons are going (need to press really hard). Several buttons have come loose.
      It has not been abused, as far as I can tell (the occasional drop )

I like how the Logitech remotes work, though, and will likely replace the 850 with the new 900.
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

7. 09-24-2012 02:50 PM #7
      I have a couple sticky buttons too.. the "9" button.

Also, after a long hiatus, my volume down button was a little sticky, but it worked itself out. The 9 button though always feels crunchy

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-25-2012 12:33 AM #8
      would I be better off with the screen?

9. 09-25-2012 11:43 AM #9
      Up to you. A couple sticky buttons are really a non-issue to me.. only happens due to years of non use (I guess I don't press 9 very often). Having buttons in general is a big up side to me. I like having channel numbers, channel/volume control, and DVR control all readily available without having to deal with the touch screen. I use the touch screen to switch activities, and for "buttons" that don't physically exist on the remote, such as DVR "delete", quick access to "VOD", changing receiver inputs manually, etc. Once you program the devices into the remote, it gives you all the buttons from that device's real remote on the touch screen.

Looks like the 1100 does have RF controls, which is a plus if you can utilize it. Lesser models such as the Harmony One are stuck with IR only unless you buy a separate RF module.

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-27-2012 10:02 AM #10
      I gotta go to bb and mess around with them.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      09-27-2012 12:12 PM #11
      I picked up the 650 (iirc) for about $60 a few months ago. Set up to run the TV, Xbox, BR, HT. However, it doesn't run the DirecTV, and I haven't sat down to figure out why. There are some quirks with the remote; I probably have to redo the sync. It has a hard time switching between HDMI1 and HDMI2 when going from TV to video games.

My g/f's brother has the Ultimate Behemoth Logitech (all touchscreen one) and wants to trade, because he doesn't like his (or probably it's getting long in the tooth and he wants to dirty trade).
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      09-30-2012 09:56 PM #12
      I finally got to stop by BB. I spoke with one of the magnolia guys and he said the 1100 sux. It gets returned often. He recommend the Harmony One or the 950. I asked about the harmony link he said he didnt remember any returns.

Im going to cross the 1100 from my list. Im hearing to many bad things about it. I going to look into link or the 950.

13. 10-01-2012 12:25 PM #13
      You mean Harmony 900? Don't think they make a 950.

The 900 is very similar to the One but much more expensive, with the addition of RF capabilities (One is IR only), "programmable buttons", and "programmable touch screen buttons."

I don't know what they mean by programmable touch screen buttons.. I can create new touch screen buttons for any device on my Harmony One, and program them with whatever functionality I want. I created a "device" in my One for my powered projector screen, and made touch screen buttons for it that say "stop", "up", and "down" that perform obvious functions, and I used the IR learning feature to teach the One how to perform them.

Personally I think the Link will be annoying for the same reasons I wouldn't want an 1100.

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      10-01-2012 01:42 PM #14
      I meant 900 sorry. I checked out reviews of the link system your right it's in the same class as the 1100. Looks like it is between the one and the 900!

i did find this though
      http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/29/l...best-buy-leak/
      It looks cool.

All my gear is in a bdi cabinet would i need RF? or is IR ok?

Vehicles
      93 LX 5.0, 00 GTI vr6 / 99 R6 / 20th / 08 R32 / 06 is350 / 08 M3 / 11 GTI Autobahn, + more
      10-05-2012 11:31 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by de4life View Post
      I meant 900 sorry. I checked out reviews of the link system your right it's in the same class as the 1100. Looks like it is between the one and the 900!

i did find this though
      http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/29/l...best-buy-leak/
      It looks cool.

All my gear is in a bdi cabinet would i need RF? or is IR ok?
      does your cabinet have glass or fabric screen? so long as you have line of sight you can use IR

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      10-06-2012 12:27 PM #16
      Glass
      I sometimes have trouble getting my receiver to turn on.

10-16-2012 04:18 PM #17
      http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech...&skuId=3440086

This is even better and easier to use minus when they update and it bricks out and you have to contact customer service to get your remote working again .....

http://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/
      Last edited by Chilledman; 10-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-23-2012 03:41 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Agreed. I have an 850 (4 years old). It still works, but it's getting tired. It needs time to "wake up" sometimes. The volume buttons are going (need to press really hard). Several buttons have come loose.
      It has not been abused, as far as I can tell (the occasional drop )
      Nice to read that it is not just me that has a problematic Logitech remote. I have an 880 that is about 5 years old now, sometimes needs a good shake to wake up, the page left button fell off long ago, and a couple of the number buttons have stopped working.

Definitely planning to replace it in the not too distant future, going back to have 4 or 5 different remotes would suck.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      11-29-2012 06:50 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by de4life View Post
      I'm looking into getting a remote for my system. I looked into the logitech harmony 1100 and the harmony link. I need something to control my reciever, ps3, cable, and dvd player. Any suggestions or experience with either logitech remote?

thanx
      I have the logitech 720. Only gripe is the buttons are small and hard to see in low light due to the main part of the display is bigger and bright and draws your eye to it. Bought my girlfriend the 600 and it's a little better but it can't operate as many items.

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      11-29-2012 07:49 AM #20
      Thanx for all the info guys. No one had anything good to say about the 1100. I got a 600 on black friday and called it a day. Setup was a bit of a pain but it works great.

21. 12-10-2012 05:48 PM #21
      +1 on harmony and macros for predefined activities being very important
      +1 on the buttons sticking (volume up is done).
      I think it is a harmony 8** something,
      I really didnt use it that much over the last 4 years for it to fail

another cool thing is you just tell it what model receiver and cable box you have it figures it out, no IR to IR learning crap.

22. 12-10-2012 09:10 PM #22
      I have a Logitech Harmony 650, I love it and have no problems,

except for,

when it falls on the floor while I am watching tv, and the remote somehow resets itself, and I can no longer send logical inputs to any devices. If, for example, you are watching tv and have this happen to you, and you try to press "watch tv" in an attempt to regain control, it will act as if you hit the "all off" button, and start turning crap off.

Solution? Cover the IR output window with your finger and press "watch tv" (or whatever button that coincides with whatever you were doing prior to dropping it), and keep it covered for about 15 seconds. Then things will be back to normal.
      Last edited by 'dubber; 12-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
      F.S. : ANTIQUE/VINTAGE SECTIONAL SOFA! FULL RECENT RESTORATION! PICK UP IN NJ! DELIVERY AVAILABLE! MUST SELL ASAP, SO PRICED ACCORDINGLY!!! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post85234807

23. 01-02-2013 10:37 AM #23
      I've had my Harmony 880 for several years, about 6 years. My wife had one and it took a lot of abuse and finally lost the USB port to reprogram it and the volume up button went out.

The thing I like about the Harmony is the fact that you can download the program and log in on any computer to program the remote. I got a new computer and didn't have to swap anything over from the old one. Also I called tech support for something a while ago and they remotely programmed the remote. All I had to do was update the remote.

The 880 is kind of dated looking now with all the whiz bang new ones out there but it gets the job done. Until this one goes out I'll use it til the wheels fall off. I also have a spare parts one I swapped a screen from due to my toddler and his "throw anything daddy says not to play with
      " habit.

Vehicles
      E46 M3, XJ Cherokee
      01-03-2013 07:34 PM #24
      Another vote for the Harmony One. We haven't had it very long so I can't speak to it's durability, but operation-wise it is awesome.

Vehicles
      2011 Volvo C30 R-Design
      01-04-2013 05:29 PM #25
      My Harmony 700 is still serving me great although the black paint is rubbing off some of the buttons.

Honestly, the next upgrade for me would be to get one running over RF. Infrared can be annoying when your TV has a 8 sec power-on delay. Or you Comcast cable box IR sensor is buried a half inch behind the front window.

26. 01-29-2013 01:03 PM #26
      The wakeup sensor (accelerometer? I dunno) in my Harmony One is really kicking the bucket.. after 4? 5? years. But it doesn't matter because touching the touch screen also wakes it up.. and since the only reason you need to wake it up IS to use the touch screen, it's really a non-issue.

Vehicles
      93 Corrado VR6
      03-19-2013 03:58 PM #27
      I have the Harmony 1100. It controls the tv, dish, dvd, stereo and PS3. Although we needed to buy the range extender for it to get it work in the cabinet. Very nice and easy to set up.
      Jaxdubs >
      The Official Jacksonville VW/Audi Enthusiasts Club
      on Facebook

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 Fusion Hybrid
      03-29-2013 12:53 AM #28
      Does anyone have any experience with the URC brand of remotes? Thanks.