Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L questions

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta TDI 1.9L
      09-23-2012 02:02 AM #1
      Firstly, I am very sorry if the questions I am asking have already been asked and answered. I've been lurking for a while and I'm unable to find definite answers. Thank you for looking and trying to help.

First, I live in Washington state and am unsure of the emission requirements and tests required for diesels, if someone could enlighten me on these, I would be very grateful.

Second, I am looking to do a couple modifications to my car and have a few questions that pertain to those specific modifications:

• Exhaust:

I am interested in modifying the exhaust, I realize that straight pipes are the more popular option, but I just want something that will make me excited when I pop into the higher rpms. I'm somewhat hesitant to modify it though, due to not knowing the specific regulations in Washington state for Catalytic converters/dpf.

That said, I have heard that simply popping off the exhaust manifold and replacing that is pointless, because the stock exhaust manifold doesn't really even have a use as the exhaust is already completely muffled by the time it gets there.

Now, In a perfect world, I would love a straight pipe to either a magnaflow or flowmaster. Any ideas on that?

• Chip:

Now, I have seen that there are actually quite a few different companies to choose from in this area, and it looks like the most popular are Unitronic, Kerma, and Rocket Chip. I have read a lot and would love a Unitronic stage 1+ chip, but am again hesitant, because people have complained of boost creeping up and of the chip over powering the car and causing damage (as of right now, the car is stock w/~60k miles). Would Stage 1 be a better choice in the long run?

• Related to both exhaust and chip:

I had read that Unitronic was adding an option for a dpf delete, can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for looking and for any help you can offer.

EDIT: Read more about DPF delete and it's a no no in any state oh well.

New question: I read somewhere that there are 2 catalytic converters in my car. 1 standalone cat and one actually inside the dpf, is this the case? also, does anyone have a diagram detailing the parts of the stock exhaust? Thanks again!
      Last edited by Freeroot; 09-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen
      09-23-2012 02:37 PM #2
      First, you are getting several models of TDI engines confused. You have a 2006 TDI. This means you have a 1.9L "PD" (Pumpe Dúse) or unit injector engine. This engine does not have a DPF at all, so a DPF delete tune is impossible. I believe that you do have a catalytic converter, but that's about all the emissions system you have. This is why there were no 2007 and 2008 TDIs in the US. They had to develop all new emissions systems for 2009+ TDIs (this is where DPFs come in). These 2009+ engines are referred to as "CR" (Common Rail) engines. These are very different (in many ways) from your "PD" engine.

Second, you should also consider Malone Tuning (the sponsor of this forum). If you have issues with "Boost Creep", you have a bad tune. A quality tune from a well known Diesel tuner should not cause or allow boost creep. My advice would be to stick with Malone Tuning, or RocketChip, or TDTuning for your engine.

Since you live in WA, Mark Malone also has the advantage of being close to you. He lives in BC, but he often crosses the border and can be found in Washington.

Have Fun!

Don
      Last edited by JSWTDI09; 09-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
      2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI
      Candy White/Anthracite Build date: 01/16/09; Buy date: 02/09/09
      Coveted Three Pedal Version, Big hole in roof
      Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
      2microntech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta TDI 1.9L
      09-23-2012 08:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
      First, you are getting several models of TDI engines confused. You have a 2006 TDI. This means you have a 1.9L "PD" (Pumpe Dúse) or unit injector engine. This engine does not have a DPF at all, so a DPF delete tune is impossible. I believe that you do have a catalytic converter, but that's about all the emissions system you have. This is why there were no 2007 and 2008 TDIs in the US. They had to develop all new emissions systems for 2009+ TDIs (this is where DPFs come in). These 2009+ engines are referred to as "CR" (Common Rail) engines. These are very different (in many ways) from your "PD" engine.

Second, you should also consider Malone Tuning (the sponsor of this forum). If you have issues with "Boost Creep", you have a bad tune. A quality tune from a well known Diesel tuner should not cause or allow boost creep. My advice would be to stick with Malone Tuning, or RocketChip, or TDTuning for your engine.

Since you live in WA, Mark Malone also has the advantage of being close to you. He lives in BC, but he often crosses the border and can be found in Washington.

Have Fun!

Don
      Thank you so much for your help! That was a lot of information that I didn't have before. I'm definitely looking into Malone tuning now. Their 1.5 stage looks very promising. Mark's shop is only 2 and a half hours away from me, so that's a definite plus, since a lot of the unitronic guys are located on the east coast.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      09-27-2012 08:20 PM #4
      cant help on the washington laws as i am in ontario canada

but unitronic tune is better imo. i had malone and then went unitronic. much happier with it.

but i also have it 2.5inch straight pipe. no cat no muffler etc with an upgraded air intake.
      and it pulls like mad. lots of power now.
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Bags are for bitches
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      screw all you guys, i'm just gonna get a forklift and every time i stop i'm flipping my car upside down. beat THAT low. that's negative low!!!
      Toronto/Scarborough area Vagcom owner