Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Eurovan.....future collectable?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 EV GLS; 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI; 2000 Jetta VR6
      09-23-2012 10:20 AM #1
      Hi All,

I was at the Central NJ Aircooled car show last week and saw lots of nice vans and campers is every condition possible. You kind of have to admire the drivers of the beaters....admirable.

Anyway, I bought a JSW TDI very end of June and my wife now uses my 2005 Yukon. She used to drive her 2001 GLS van 9000 miles per year (103k on the van) but the van has only done 250 miles since almost 3 months. As sits in the garage washed and waxed... I started to wonder if it will be like those 60's-70's vans that people enjoy showing....or like a Chevy Astro van....that nobody notices?

Only 20 years more to go sitting in the garage.

Vehicles
      '01 EVW (sold), '03 EVW (sold); Two '10 Prius; '06 Element; '04 Quest (the new EVW)
      09-24-2012 12:37 AM #2
      This is purely speculative - and I may be wrong - but I don't envision any of the non-poptop EV's being worth a whole lot down the road. You cant give a GLS away east of the Mississippi NOW - there is just so little demand...and little supply. It's really backwards logic...I can't think of any reason why they WOULD be collectable.

There will always be a select few people who will go after VW vans of any kind and if demand is higher than the tiny supply? Owner wins. ....but the people mover variety? In 20 yrs? Maybe...but I doubt it. The old vans had sentimental value going for them and were genuinely cool (for the most part). Plus they were easy to work on; the 1993's and up are - lets be honest - frickin nightmares to work on (yes, some things are easy but, for the most part, mechanically these things are a pain in the a**). I don't see people beating down doors to get their hands on a 2001 GLS or even an MV with 200K miles in 2035. Of course, weirder things have been known to happen, right? However, the pop-tops - given that nobody else will probably EVER make one in the US - will continue to retain their sometimes insane values.

Of course, you never know.

3. 09-24-2012 12:20 PM #3
      ^^^ Agreed.

The T4 might have a small cult following in general but I don't think it ever will have the same legendary following that the previous generations of VW vans had. The pop-tops and campers will ride the wave with the previous generations but non-pop-tops at best will probably only carry a small premium for being rare and slightly less anonymous than any of the other 90s MPVs out there.

4. 09-25-2012 08:02 AM #4
      That's a good question. I've been into buses for years. When I got into them even "late" split buses were reasonable. Bay's, well they were cheap. Vanagons have a very strong following and appreciating values. The Eurovan? IMHO, I think because we haven't had a VW van here in NA ( I dont' count the Routan- sorry to those that do) since '03- well I think they will hold their values. I agree with the comments on the Weekenders, Westies and Winnies but also the MVs. The GLSs well, hard to say. They're the bargain of the bunch.

This is all speculation and an interesting discussion but I'm of the mind they will hold their values and eventually appreciate at some point.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Eurovan MV (sold); '02 Camry SE; '94 Toyota P/U
      09-30-2012 02:37 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CdnVWJunk-e View Post
      This is all speculation and an interesting discussion but I'm of the mind they will hold their values and eventually appreciate at some point.
      Considering what we've invested in our '03 MV (non pop-top), I certainly hope you're right. FWIW, '03 NA owner's can stll brag about having the last REAL VW van...sorry Routan owners .