Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: CPO VW that's been in an accident?

    1. Banned
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2011
      Location
      South ILLtown.
      Posts
      1,531
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      09-23-2012 04:24 PM #1
      Hey guys,

      I"m curious, how can a VW be CPO if it's been in accident I thought that was a criteria that couldn't be overlooked for the CPO program.

      Anyone know?

      Looking at a sportwagen in Charlotte NC that's been in an accident according to the carfax.

      Thanks

    2. Member Knight2000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 5th, 2010
      Location
      Royal Oak, MI
      Posts
      330
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Sport (m-t) but looking for a new VW!
      09-23-2012 10:49 PM #2
      If it was minor and did not affect internal parts of the car (moving parts, i.e. engine, transmission, suspension, etc.) then the car can be a CPO.
      So let me get this straight? Your engine is 1.8-liters, and my pop is 2?

    3. Banned
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2011
      Location
      South ILLtown.
      Posts
      1,531
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      09-23-2012 10:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Knight2000 View Post
      If it was minor and did not affect internal parts of the car (moving parts, i.e. engine, transmission, suspension, etc.) then the car can be a CPO.
      Thanks!

    4. 09-24-2012 03:26 PM #4
      i think carfax should note if drivetrain,powertrain, body were affected in an accident

      its certified pre-owned, not certified accident-free

    5. 09-24-2012 03:58 PM #5
      My old 2010 Golf was CPO'd with a reported accident.

      Granted, that accident was a 5 mph bump that left a fingernail crease in the bumper that was so minor I never got it fixed. It occured on public roads, though, so I called the police and got an accident report - which flagged the CarFax when I went to go trade it in.

      I think it depends, too, on the dealer. Which is why I generally don't place much stock in "CPO" programs.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    6. Banned
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2011
      Location
      South ILLtown.
      Posts
      1,531
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      09-24-2012 04:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      My old 2010 Golf was CPO'd with a reported accident.

      Granted, that accident was a 5 mph bump that left a fingernail crease in the bumper that was so minor I never got it fixed. It occured on public roads, though, so I called the police and got an accident report - which flagged the CarFax when I went to go trade it in.

      I think it depends, too, on the dealer. Which is why I generally don't place much stock in "CPO" programs.
      Yeah i agree with you, CPO is a slight bump in comfort but not much. The 1 series I'm looking at the certification is 1800 bucks. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

    7. Member vdubdoug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2000
      Location
      Centerville, Ohio
      Posts
      4,228
      Vehicles
      06 odyssey (wifes), pair of adidas (mine)
      09-26-2012 06:49 PM #7
      i saw a certified camry once that was 6 different shades of maroon. I asked the techs how could that be certified , they said as long as all the mechanicals are good and the paint is glossy we will certify it

    8. Banned
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2011
      Location
      South ILLtown.
      Posts
      1,531
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      09-26-2012 11:38 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubdoug View Post
      i saw a certified camry once that was 6 different shades of maroon. I asked the techs how could that be certified , they said as long as all the mechanicals are good and the paint is glossy we will certify it

    9. 09-27-2012 12:39 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubdoug View Post
      i saw a certified camry once that was 6 different shades of maroon. I asked the techs how could that be certified , they said as long as all the mechanicals are good and the paint is glossy we will certify it
      I have a similar story. Beautiful Camry Solara comes into CarMax with 5,000 miles on it. We got underneath it and it basically was cut apart and re-welded back together. You'd never know if it wasn't on a hoist.

      We bought the car and wholesaled it. 2 weeks later it showed up at a very large, very prominent Toyota Dealer down the street from us in the NW Burbs of Chicago with "CPO!!! 5K miles!!!" across the windshield.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    10. 09-28-2012 07:48 PM #10
      someone told me that their cpo cars were all accident free and had 3 panels painted max

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2006
      Location
      North Las Vegas
      Posts
      1,490
      Vehicles
      2014 Honda Civic LX sedan 5M
      09-28-2012 09:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      I have a similar story. Beautiful Camry Solara comes into CarMax with 5,000 miles on it. We got underneath it and it basically was cut apart and re-welded back together. You'd never know if it wasn't on a hoist.
      I remember you telling this story a few years ago...

      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      We bought the car and wholesaled it. 2 weeks later it showed up at a very large, very prominent Toyota Dealer down the street from us in the NW Burbs of Chicago with "CPO!!! 5K miles!!!" across the windshield.
      But not this part. Holy crap...
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoose View Post
      I cut a hole in the wall between our 2 car rear entry garage and the basement. It is now a three car garage. Still not sure how I actually got the wife to sign off on that.
      Quote Originally Posted by NathanDetroit View Post
      Getting the wife to agree on rear entry is always difficult.

    12. 10-05-2012 01:28 AM #12
      if you haven't done so already, i'd check the contract's fine print to see if you can find something along the lines of accident-free guarantee

      you might have to recoup your loss through small claims court

    13. Member Dandbest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2003
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      2,150
      Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      10-15-2012 11:21 AM #13
      the VW CPO program says that as long as the car has no structural damage, it can be cpo'd, however, from speaking to people at VW when I was a pre owned manager, its a slippery slope- the cars are uni body and technically everything is considered structural damage...guess thats their way of getting out of a situation if the crap hit the fan. As a result, I never certified anything with a bad carfax. Just wasn't worth it.

    14. 04-25-2013 12:59 PM #14
      This would be a 2012 Passat for $16500 (with 17k miles) in New England. It has a WorldAuto CPO. I'm looking to buy it soon and pulled up the Carfax and Autocheck. In order to be CPO:ed I assume it must have been relatively minor damage. I realize that this might have an impact on its resale value. However, I tend to think that if I keep it for 4-5 years, it would be old enough, so that the Carfax/Autocheck history would be less of an issue.

      It has the following listed on Carfax:
      "Accident reported
      Vehicle involved in a sideswipe collision
      Involving left side impact
      It hit a motor vehicle
      It hit a curb
      Airbags did not deploy"

      And on autocheck:
      "LEFT FRONT IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE"

      (These are both from the same date.)

      Thanks for your thoughts!

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •