Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 16 of 16

    Thread: what do you think.. Get a knew one?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2010
      Location
      Philadelphia pa
      Posts
      623
      Vehicles
      Civic
      09-23-2012 06:23 PM #1






      did it with my jaw puller .. No cracks, just part of the circle chipped off. Get a new one or let it ride?



      had to take sprocket off to replace alternator bracket which snapped while doing 65 on highway causing car to overheat
      Last edited by ienjoysnails; 09-23-2012 at 11:00 PM.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      09-26-2012 03:08 PM #2
      Myself personally, i see that chip affecting nothing..

      its not on the surface the belt rides on, its not on the surface that mates to the shaft of the pump..

      i would just clean up the chip a bit, and re-install it..

      AS LONG AS IT IS NOT CRACKED..

    3. Member fukengruven1982's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2005
      Location
      Hammertown
      Posts
      2,151
      Vehicles
      Fleet O' Diesel Dubs.
      09-27-2012 04:05 PM #3
      As long as its not cracked I would run it. I would think that a section of missing material that rotates would have some effect on the overall balance. Not sure how apparent this might be in this situation. People can say what they like, but in the end its really up to you.

    4. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2010
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      70
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Manual
      09-27-2012 10:15 PM #4
      Considering you probably don't want to take everything apart a second time if it causes a vibration or fails, I would replace it while everything is apart.

    5. Member asal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 12th, 2007
      Location
      inside the beltway, VA
      Posts
      600
      Vehicles
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      09-28-2012 08:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by corvettecrazy View Post
      Considering you probably don't want to take everything apart a second time if it causes a vibration or fails, I would replace it while everything is apart.
      i'm in the "replace it" camp. Not that it's much weight missing, but it's not a perfect balance any more, so as it spins it would be slightly faster going around the non chipped part and slower on the chipped part (if that made any sense ) Think of throwing a hatchet, the head of the axe rotates slower than the handle end.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2010
      Location
      Philadelphia pa
      Posts
      623
      Vehicles
      Civic
      09-28-2012 08:29 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by asal View Post
      i'm in the "replace it" camp. Not that it's much weight missing, but it's not a perfect balance any more, so as it spins it would be slightly faster going around the non chipped part and slower on the chipped part (if that made any sense ) Think of throwing a hatchet, the head of the axe rotates slower than the handle end.
      I suppose its in the realm of possiblity. This sprocket was actually a replacement for the original which had a sloppy keyway. Guess I'll be finding another. Thanks

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      09-28-2012 02:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ienjoysnails View Post
      I suppose its in the realm of possiblity. This sprocket was actually a replacement for the original which had a sloppy keyway. Guess I'll be finding another. Thanks
      considering VW diesels only turn 5000 revs at the CRANK, this part wont be subject to the 5000 rpms, but only 2500.. it wont cause a vibration..

      we are talking VW DIESELS HERE.. they ALWAYS VIBRATE!!

      i would just use the pulley as long as the cogs, and the keyway are good!!

      that little chip will affect nothing.. i bet the chipped piece of metal doesnt even weigh half a gram..

      ITS FINE!! run it..

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2011
      Location
      outside philadelphia
      Posts
      613
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      09-28-2012 02:53 PM #8
      take a die grinder to it, you just need to do a little to it, its fine.
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2011
      Location
      outside philadelphia
      Posts
      613
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      09-28-2012 03:01 PM #9
      even a stiff wire brushing is ok,
      some touch up with a die grinder is better
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2010
      Location
      Philadelphia pa
      Posts
      623
      Vehicles
      Civic
      09-29-2012 01:12 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      considering VW diesels only turn 5000 revs at the CRANK, this part wont be subject to the 5000 rpms, but only 2500.. it wont cause a vibration..

      we are talking VW DIESELS HERE.. they ALWAYS VIBRATE!!

      i would just use the pulley as long as the cogs, and the keyway are good!!

      that little chip will affect nothing.. i bet the chipped piece of metal doesnt even weigh half a gram..

      ITS FINE!! run it..

      Yea f it i'm just going to use it. I wasn't even concerned really with it being out of balance, cause as you said, it is a shakin vibrating diesel after all and the piece is so small. I guess i thought maybe the chip would grow or spider. idk. I'll keep an eye on it

    11. Member burn_your_money's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2004
      Location
      Bright, Ontario Canada
      Posts
      11,001
      Vehicles
      6.9L F250
      09-29-2012 09:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by asal View Post
      i'm in the "replace it" camp. Not that it's much weight missing, but it's not a perfect balance any more, so as it spins it would be slightly faster going around the non chipped part and slower on the chipped part (if that made any sense ) Think of throwing a hatchet, the head of the axe rotates slower than the handle end.
      Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.

      When you throw a hatchet, both ends are spinning at the same RPM. However the weight of the head causes the axis of rotation to be closer to the head rather than the handle. The end of the handle has to cover more ground as it has a larger circumference so yes, it is moving faster.

      This does not apply in any way to the pump pulley though because it has a fixed point of rotation, dead center of the pulley.

      I'd replace it because I have extras kicking around, if I didn't I'd just leave it alone.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-02-2012 01:19 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.

      When you throw a hatchet, both ends are spinning at the same RPM. However the weight of the head causes the axis of rotation to be closer to the head rather than the handle. The end of the handle has to cover more ground as it has a larger circumference so yes, it is moving faster.

      This does not apply in any way to the pump pulley though because it has a fixed point of rotation, dead center of the pulley.

      I'd replace it because I have extras kicking around, if I didn't I'd just leave it alone.
      not everyone has 400 extra IP sprockets laying around like you tho tyler :p

    13. Member Ziptied's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Location
      Campbellsport, Wisconsin
      Posts
      603
      Vehicles
      91 gti with six cylinders / 83 jetta turbo diesel / 98 jetta tdi
      10-03-2012 06:12 PM #13
      Id run that without a doubt

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-04-2012 12:20 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
      Id run that without a doubt
      thats what im saying!!

      if i DID NOT HAVE SPARES, and this was all that was keeping my engine from running, then it would have already been installed..

      hell, even if i had spares, that chip doesnt scare me enough to even worry about it..

    15. Member Ziptied's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Location
      Campbellsport, Wisconsin
      Posts
      603
      Vehicles
      91 gti with six cylinders / 83 jetta turbo diesel / 98 jetta tdi
      10-04-2012 03:05 PM #15
      The people worried about balance have obviously never seen an intermediate shaft on one if these motors

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2011
      Location
      outside philadelphia
      Posts
      613
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      10-04-2012 06:18 PM #16
      needs some cosmetic work first; a die grinder is best take out all the corners and smoothen out surface. make surface on a flat plane, get into sides and round out a little and up and round the top lip a little. you dont need much work just take off very surface and make sure you have no abrupt surfaces. doesnt have to have a perfectly flat plane; but smooth and round all corners too.
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •