Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shift Bushing Kit

1. 09-23-2012 08:38 PM #1
      I have the following shift bushing kit for sale, $50, shipping included.

Shifter Bushing kit Fox 87 - 93. 4 and 5 speeds

Thanks,

Lyle

lkracecar@yahoo.com

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      09-24-2012 09:05 AM #2
      GL with the sale,

Though I have to warn you and your potential buyer that there isn't such a thing as a shifter bushing kit that serves both the 4 and the 5 speed, unless such a kit came with 8 bushings.

See, the top two bushings are the same and will work fine; the very bottom bushing (the ball socket that goes on the support rod) is different (larger ball on the 5-speed) but your kit has the two different ones, so that's fine as well.

The problem is the two other bushings - the ones that hold the selector shaft "T" coupler (bushings number 37 in the diagram below).

These bushings' inner diameter are considerably larger in the 5-speed compared to the 4-speed. The kit you are selling probably has the 5-speed bushings, as this is what many parts dealers are doing nowadays. If you install them on a 4-speed shifter, it will have major slop and you will most likely not be able to engage all gears.

I don't mean to interfere with your sale, but just thought the truth about the "one size fits all" kit would help preventing someone from making a costly mistake.

So, for those potential buyers with a 5-speed Fox: this kit is a good buy

3. 09-24-2012 10:26 AM #3
      I actually bought the kit for my fox wagon, that I have since sold. The 6 bushings in the picture are all that came with the kit and for as fitting 4 or 5 speed, I'm just going by what is on the package.

I bought the kit from The Parts Place few years back, I would like to see someone have benefit of it, rather then having it sit around and end up never being used.

Thanks for your input.

Lyle

Vehicles
      1990 2dr Fox
      09-25-2012 03:20 AM #4
      Looks like five speed bushings to me too. I have these bushings in my four speed Fox using a set of machined metal sleeves that go over the T-coupler, making it the same diameter as the five speed ones.