Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Fast Caddy Build!

1. 09-29-2012 07:53 AM #36
      Get that motor in that thing is looking so sexy!

If I knew you were coming my way I would have seen if you could have brought a passenger side diesel motor mount. I am at the point now where I will just cut one down to use it!

Sucks being ready to drop a motor in and not being able to find a mount local.

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby
      09-29-2012 10:26 AM #37
      Well I got the motor in.... in the back pf the dodge lol. Its dirty rusty and ugly but supposedly runs.

I tell you what.. I know there's a mount in the wrecking yard. Make it worth my while to pull it and I will go get it Monday and mail it to you.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Rabbit
      09-29-2012 10:39 AM #38
      *prays to vw gods that motor runs*

and you must have ran through my neck of the woods, you went down 95 to lakeworth right?

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 10:52 AM #39
      I did actually. Stopped for the night in Jensen at my parents. Off 95 at midway then us1 Walton and green river parkway. But didn't get to Jensen til 12 and left at 6am. Not much of a social trip.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Rabbit
      09-29-2012 03:56 PM #40
      yup right by me.

hope your motor works out for you!

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 06:29 PM #41
      Thanks! Me too! What part of town you in? I will see if I can look you up next time I come down.

Just woke up. Long day. On the way back I detoured through orlando and stopped by Triangle ... pair of vented rotors, pads, front and rear wheel bearings, control arm bushings, timing belt roller, and some clutch bits to go with the new disc an pp that came with the truck(pushrod bushing, pushrod seal, input shaft seal, throw out bearing). Then stopped by a naps to pick up a timing belt, oil, filter, and some "engine rebuild in a can" ie spray paint.
      Going to cook some dinner and get everything unloaded and figure out what im going to do next this evening

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Rabbit
      09-30-2012 12:00 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
      Thanks! Me too! What part of town you in? I will see if I can look you up next time I come down.

Just woke up. Long day. On the way back I detoured through orlando and stopped by Triangle ... pair of vented rotors, pads, front and rear wheel bearings, control arm bushings, timing belt roller, and some clutch bits to go with the new disc an pp that came with the truck(pushrod bushing, pushrod seal, input shaft seal, throw out bearing). Then stopped by a naps to pick up a timing belt, oil, filter, and some "engine rebuild in a can" ie spray paint.
      Going to cook some dinner and get everything unloaded and figure out what im going to do next this evening

im in port saint lucie, 15 minutes from jensen, thats actually where i go to the beach if i do go.

sounds like you have your work cut out for you. wish i was closer, seems to always be the problem when i want to help out other dubbers

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 12:55 AM #43
      Damn, what a weekend

So yeah.. Drove all over creation yesterday between getting the motor, getting parts from one place, then going to NAPA to get the timing belt...
      Last night go to get the new belt on so I can drop the motor in today...
      FREAKIN NAPA... They gave me a gasser belt. Boy was I pissed.. Had to drive waaay the hell out of my way to get it after being on the road all day in a dually, and to make it worse it costs almost as much in fuel to return it now since I don't go over to that hell hole area very often. I dont understand how it got screwed up.. Called the location I usually go to, they say they dont have one but Eatonville does.. Go over there, pick it up.. The receipt even says 1.6L diesel.. Part number is even using the OE vw numbers.. So last night I go on Contitech's website and punch the part number in, its for a gasser like I suspected.. Get the diesel number off Autohaus AZ's website, then go back to NAPA's site and look up a belt for a 1.6 diesel, and get the same number as Autohaus AZ's site...
      So up til 2am trying to figure out who has one of these bastards in stock, and the closest I can find is the main hub store for Autozone clear down in another sh!thole area in the heart of the Orlando hood, over an hour from the house..
      I get to bed about 230, drag myself out of bed by 7 something still tired from the day before and head down to Autozone.. Decided to get a water pump, thermostat, v belt, hoses, etc as well. Ran by Harbor Junk while I was in the 'hood as well to pick up some sh*tty tools. Im sure the 5 pack of wire brushes will fling all the bristles off and lodge them into my leg in the first 30 seconds of use on a cordless drill, but figured they were worth a shot..
      Long story short, finally back to the house by like 2pm.. Spend some time with my girl and head out back...

I decided its been long enough since the bead blaster was working, so I finally got my bead blaster operational first.. My dad bought it used for his business in the 90s, and when he closed in like 98 I had him hold it in his garage for me until I got a place I could keep it.. Finally in 2007 I took posession of it, and in 2012 I made it work again.. I wonder why I waited so long...

So, back to the engine.. It looked like royal sh*t when I got it, covered with flaky rust but supposedly a good runner... One thing is for sure, it has hardly any miles on it or it NEVER had the oil changed, or the previous owner was meticulous..Because it had a genuine VW filter on it.. Not even a MANN, but genuine down to the huge VW Audi logo.. I havent seen one of those in a good while..

Today it doesn't look a hell of alot better... I am not sure how long this motor is going to be in there, and I just want it to run... I didnt want to have to fully retime the pump, so I didnt take it off to clean the brackets all that good.. So it got a spray can rebuild, and not a very good one...

After the spray can rebuild, I replaced the timing belt.. I went to replace the water pump, and the second bolt broke off.. Third bolt felt like it was twisting.. Since the clutch looked like new, I figured maybe this thing has had some decent maintance and rather than get into a big can of worms with busted bolts I decided to quit while I was ahead and not worry about the water pump or thermostat. I did replace the rear main on the engine.
      I wasnt aware that VW decided not to put ANY timing marks on the pulleys, so I switched gears and pulled the tranny off the engine from the caddy.. Replaced the throw out bearing, pushrod bushing and seal and input shaft seal. Cleaned about 1/4 inch of grime from the bellhousing. Mated the tranny to the motor, and got the timing belt put on and started dressing the motor out..

With the bead blaster running, my girlfriend was cool enough to blast the timing cover, valve cover, intake manifold, AC comp tensioner, and the alt tensioner. Thanks babe!

So TONIGHT, I went to paint those parts.. I cant wait to see the contrast.. Rather than spray bombing the parts that came from the bead blaster, I went ahead did something special...

Also, I am not a fan of clipper kits, but I hate the look of MkI's with absolutely no bumpers.. Since a clipper bumper is all I have laying around, I decided the other day to go ahead and use it until the financial pain of this build dies a bit and I can spring for some chrome euros or find some nice us bumpers to mod..
      Since I plan to put the engine in tomorrow evening, and its a royal mother to get the bumper bolts in with the motor in and dressed, it meant I had to paint the bumper tonight... Yay, 9pm and I am fixing to BEGIN prepping the bumper for paint... Wheres the "yawning" emoticon?

Dont worry, it actually looks like hell, LOL... It was chipped and gouged to hell and back... Im partly in a hurry, and dont plan to keep it very long, so I just wanted to make it look better than nothing...

Remember the parts my girl cleaned in the bead blaster? The rest of the engine may look like ass, but some of it wont

Last edited by BoostedOne; 10-01-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Hit post on accident when I wasnt done yet.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      10-01-2012 01:01 AM #44
      you should make your stories into picture stories

feel your pain about the timing belt

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 01:14 AM #45
      I did post some pics, but you posted before the edit was done

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      10-01-2012 01:33 AM #46
      dude send me that hood youre using as a workbench

err i mean...

love the blau but that engine needs some serious treatment!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Rabbit
      10-01-2012 01:35 AM #47
      i like what goes on here. and I See A Bug

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 11:55 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      dude send me that hood youre using as a workbench

err i mean...

love the blau but that engine needs some serious treatment!
      LOL.. that hood bench is pretty good, but its dented in the front.. If you werent 1400 miles away we could problably work something out.. I just needed a clean flat surface to spray the parts.

I agree though, the rest of the engine needs some serious help.. But everything is so rusty Im afraid of breaking off bolt after bolt in an effort to just clean it.. I will focus the pretty effort on one of my other core motors once I get the truck mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernRoads View Post
      i like what goes on here. and I See A Bug
      Thanks, and yeah, thats my 60 Euro bug in the background you see. After another 4 or 5 projects get done, I will probably work on that. Its a mostly original, very solid 60 model complete with a 36 horse and semaphores..

Back to the truck!
      Got the motor "in" last night.. Not much is really hooked up to it. Its basically just bolted in the truck. No accessories. I crushed the fuel line in the rear when I put it on my trailer so thats going to have to wait til the next time I lift the truck in the rear to get fixed. I still dont have the dash wiring in yet either..

So I grabbed the gas tank from an old briggs engine, ran it to the filter, threw the battery in and hotwired the cut off solenoid and starter solenoid just to see if it ran before I went any further..

At first I was getting nervous. Crank and crank and crank and nothing coming out of the injector lines.. I opened the vent on the filter, nothing. I removed the banjo from the pump and managed to suck fuel with moderate effort.. Not sure how much suction it was supposed to take I put my finger over the hole in the pump and cranked, sure enough I was sucking harder on the banjo to draw fuel than the pump did... Long story short, found a damned dirt dobber manged to plug up the banjo fitting on the line that feeds the filter. Apparantly it doesnt take them long to build a nest in anything.

Got that cleared out, slopped diesel fuel over EVERYTHING putting it back together...

Cranked the starter and bled the lines, and she fired to life!!!!

THAT THING BLEW SOME SERIOUS COAL LOL....

Since I dont have anything hooked up to the engine, especially things like a radiator, I ran it just long enough to prove it ran..

After a few startups the smoke did die down too.. That kind of made me happy, kind of disappointed, LOL..

One problem I didnt realize until now is the bolt is broken off that holds the ac compressor to the main bracket.. so I need to figure something out since I am not taking the engine back out to fix this bolt hole.. I dont need ac until another 8 months or so at this point, and I might have a different motor in it by then. But i need to come up with an alternator pulley that sticks out further so its in line with the water pump and crank pully, and the right belt length.

14. 10-02-2012 02:08 PM #49
      Back to the truck!
      Dear Sir,

YOU SUCK!

Sincerely,
      Jealous Idiot

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 02:22 PM #50
      Lol wtf!
      Your car is 90% assembled!
      Im here ordering parts hoping they get here in time.

My to do list by next week:
      Figure out alternator belt issue so I can have a belt
      All underwood wiring
      Strip and paint and install doors hood and taillight fillers
      Front brakes wheel bearings etc
      Rear brakes wheel bearings etc
      Radiator and associated crap
      Windshield back windows door windows and wipers
      Install cab wiring. Hope chassis wiring works
      Weld axle to spring perches
      Remove clean gas tank reinstall
      Work my job@50 hrs a week
      Two nights out with girl friend
      Get front tires put on
      Tag.

That's to be at the gtg with no interior lol
      And im sure I forgot stuff

16. 10-02-2012 04:36 PM #51
      Well seeing your motor in got me moving today. I am still waiting on that freakin mount! Can't believe I could find one within a 100 miles of here!

I am hoping you make it. I don't know how you do it, that's for sure! Keep it up though, it is keeping my fire lit

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 05:32 PM #52
      Lots and lots and lots of coffee, and very very little sleep LOL

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      10-03-2012 02:30 PM #53
      Maybe someday when my Rabbit is plated and running, I'll take a drive up and check out your truck. Since moving to Orlando, I've only seen one Caddy and I think a Cabriolet. They're really rare out here.
      2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:37 PM #54
      What part of town you move to?
      I work by UCF, so I go down that way almost everyday..

And since I am building this as a DRIVER, not a show truck, it will be on the road a lot.. I do admit, some of this did get a little out of hand for what I originally intended...

Today, not much went on.. Girlfriends birthday was today, so had to go out to dinner tonight..

Last night tried to see if I could make heads or tails of the belt setup, since its got that busted A/C compressor bolt which will make keeping a belt on it challenging.

Tried umpteen million different things, and then finally remembered the truck came with like 4 different alternators. I found one of them was a long snout Motorola. I found a belt laying around I think I bought for my tractor that I didnt use, and its perfect. Today I went down to Ace Hardware and bought some spacer material for the pulley, a turnbuckle, and another 10 bucks of sh*t I ended up not needing..

I took a MkII diesel alt tensioner and cut it and welded it to the turnbuckle eyes. its not real pretty but its better looking than a lot of other Geri rigs I have seen. Fired the truck up, alternator charges, belt stays on but it does flap a little.. I guess for a while I will keep a spare belt and a 13mm wrench under the seat.

Im looking at probably having a wiring problem though.. The "seat belt warning" light on the cluster is lit when the key is off(goes out when the key is on)... And none of the lights work.. Honestly I havent had a chance to even look at fuses or anything yet though..

Vehicles
      2012 Rubicon
      10-04-2012 08:30 AM #55
      ill deff be watching this one
      "On your mark, get set, terrible"
      Premium Euros - I do custom work (air installs, coils, notches, etc)

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 10:47 AM #56
      I live over by UCF, but work in Lake Mary. I'll keep my eyes open for your truck when it's on the road!

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:13 PM #57
      Oh cool! Yeah I work right near there.. You in Oviedo or Orlando? I drive the entire length of Lockwood to get to work.

Until then, if you see a 2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT that looks like its been mud bogging, thats me, LOL The "road" I live on makes it pointless to wash a car this time of year.. Anyone thats been to my house will testify to that...

It would probably flat out amaze yall that I am even building this thing if you knew what kind of road I lived on. Everyone out here owns atleast 1 truck.. And of the ones that also own a car, I'm the only one who has something that owns something thats remotely considered a sports car or is lowered.

Here's a shot of a drive to work one morning last month that didn't go so well

And the same spot yesterday evening

Although it could have been worse. This is my from my friends "road" about a half mile away lol
      Last edited by BoostedOne; 10-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Vehicles
      B 5.5 4mo wagon, B3 wagon,MK1 cabby LB3V,
      10-04-2012 02:34 PM #58
      Osteen in the house. keep up the work dude. wish i could help you, im down the road in delrico.
      SOWO

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 04:49 PM #59
      Hey, Del Rico isnt that far.. Well atleast for me it isn't, since its the closest town for me once I get out of Osteen(since actually going to Osteen is "going to town" for me..
      Your sig says Orange City.. which one is it? LOL

25. 10-04-2012 04:54 PM #60
      The "road" I live on makes it pointless to wash a car this time of year.. Anyone thats been to my house will testify to that...
      I will confirm this... your road is unbelievably messed up haha.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 07:24 PM #61
      I'm in Orlando. You drive the whole way here from Volusia by taking back roads? That must take a day! You are a brave soul, for sure!

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 11:16 AM #62
      just moved to delrico last year thanks to the economy, spent rest of my life in o.c., so i know where your at, spent alot of time off may- town rd, in the bogs. hope to meet you at the gtg.
      SOWO

Vehicles
      10-07-2012 11:43 PM #63
      Yep, 5A is about a 20 min ride down the road, and its freakin awesome! I haven't been out there since Memorial Day I don't think but that was one awesome weekend!

Ended up pullin a guy a few miles in a 8000lb S10 to the parking area LOL.. Powerstroke over all

Matt, its not that bad really.. I knew people that live in Waterford, and it only takes me like 10 mins longer to get home.. Its only a few redlights, mostly just 55mph driving on two lane roads. I'll take that over a 10 mile commute at an average of 15mph any day. I decided I could live my life based on work, and live in a average house on a tiny lot and deal with nosy neighbors, noise, and crime.. Or I could live where I wanted to and have a trek to work but outside of that be exactly where I want to be.. I can have 100 parts cars on my property if I wanted to, and noone would complain.. I am out running the compressor, grinders, etc at 2am, noone complains. I can shoot my guns in the yard, basically do what I want.. People aren't nosy, but they look out... Like, when you came by that night Erik, you were noticed, even before getting lost. I really like it.. Its like, you would have to be crazy to come around here to do dirt because you should figure that 98% of the people out here are well armed, but if that doesn't deter someone its nice to know that anyone who doesn't live here sticks out like a sore thumb and gets noticed.. And if somehow you didnt get noticed, you got photographed by someone's game cameras.

Anyhow, Im beyond exhausted... Sure had a full weekend..
      Got the rear axled final centered and welded to the spring perches. New rear wheel bearings and seals installed, rear brakes, shocks hooked back up, fixed the fuel lines where I crushed it loading the truck on the trailer the night I bought it... Also, not necesarily in this order, also installed the new control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors, pads, stainless brake lines I got from the junkyard, bled the brakes, installed the windsheild with a new seal, pulled the rear slider out of my other caddy and isntalled that, got the engine running with the wiring from the truck instead of jumper wires, got the alternator installed ummm... Video link below if you click the pic of the engine...

Its been hard to get much done... The weather has been SUCKING. Main reason this blows is because the main thing I need to get done is I need to strip and paint the doors.. Stripping the doors requires dryness.. Here is what it looks like at about 4:30pm on the average afternoon.. It should be bright and sunny..

Oh yeah, disassembled and fixed/cleaned the high beam low beam switch, now my headlights work again. And I did manage to get the doors blasted.. It ended up taking 14, 50lb bags of sand to do it.. The old paint on this thing sucked.. Also had to haul the sand in the back seat of my truck since it was raining so damned much..

Pic the other night after getting the windsheild in..

I also fought a bit with the Recaros from my MkII but couldnt get them in.. I think I need to energize the motors and raise them to the high setting to get them in? I cant get them to drop in the tracks.

Anyhow I did manage to get the doors stripped.. Blasted inside and out. Found 4 rust holes. One on the top of the drivers door, one on bottom of drivers door, and two on the passenger door. The passenger door rust was in the same spot, one hole on the inside one on the outside..
      I cut out all of those rusy areas and welded in fresh metal.

Inside repair..

Outside repair..

I am seriously hoping to get the doors painted tomorrow.. But have a ton of work to do to get to that point.
      Last edited by BoostedOne; 10-07-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 11:52 AM #64
      powerstroke rule caddys looking real good, thinking of heading up saturday early am, are you staying in the saint friday night? would like to find out what junk yard your sorceing your parts from. hope we can catch up on saturday.
      SOWO

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Rabbit
      10-08-2012 01:16 PM #65
      if you work nonstop, i think you can do it

Vehicles
      Supercharged R32, 81 Caddy 2.1L ABA Supercharged, 2012 Jetta TDI Daily Driver
      10-09-2012 10:49 PM #66
      awesome build!! this thing is amazing, so nice to see another FL caddy

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:59 AM #67
      Yeah, Im actually staying Friday and Saturday.. May as well make a weekend out of it.

I'm so effin exhausted..
      Doors, hood, tailight fillers and gas door are now sprayed... They look like isht, but they are sprayed...

I have 3 hoods, all three of them have been apparantly used for gettin busy at one point or another..
      The doors... Well, they looked straight when it had that nasty ass maroon enamel paint on it.. Now with a base clear...OMG they are freakin wavy..

Actually the whole truck looks like isht the more I look at it.. This is the first vehicle I have painted in YEARS.. its the first one I have EVER painted HERE... When I sprayed the shell I was still getting used to the gun, settings, etc. I have a nice gun(Devilbiss Plus), but havent used it in 3 years and that was just to spray a fender.
      The part that really kicked my butt on the body was that the west side of my barn(which is where I did this) is really susceptible to the sun coming in out of the west... When I sprayed the shell, it was about 6pm, and the sun was just getting down near the horizon.. Long story short, the sun was either reflecting off the surface and into my eyes, or it was so intentense if it was at my back it made the paint look like it was going on too thin, or if the sun was hitting me in the face it was blinding so all I could see of the vehicle was a silohuette.
      Then theres the bugs.. In the morning they are bad.. mid afternoon, not too bad unless we had crazy rain.. in the evening and night time, so bad you can barely spray primer..

SO I learned until I do some reconfiguring of the barn/shop, my spray window is about 11am til 6.. Once the time changes and it gets dark early, that will likely turn into 10am til 4:45... Any later and the sun angle and the bugs are just too intense.

Ah well, if nothing else the truck is jammed, and running. I can continue building it, driving it, work the kinks out of it, and when Im ready I can go and respray the exterior..

Didnt really take any pics today.. Will take some tomorrow.. But shes getting there..I drove it around the barn today.. As the paint dried I started going through the wiring. Previous owner stripped the dash, one of the things he took out was the hazard light switch.. I spent about an hour just figuring out which one of the plugs was for the switch, and jumpering the terminals on the hazard light switch so the turn signal switch would work. Also ended up tearing the wiring harness out of the rear for the taillights and going through it.. I never seen so many scotch locks, butt connectors, and electrical tape in a small area.. I dont know why people have to run new wires half assed when the old wiring quits.. hello, if it worked fine for 20 years then stopped working, chances are if you spend a few minutes and find the problem it will most likely work for another 20 years instead of your halfassed fix that will corrode and quit working in 6 months.
      Ok, time for bed.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:15 AM #68
      You aren't lying about the rain! It's been raining every single day for a month. We're getting really tired of it too. Isn't it supposed to start drying out and cooling off in October around here??

Vehicles
      1987 T3 Wolfy, 1981 Caddy 1.6D, 1967 Raleigh Sprite
      10-12-2012 01:26 PM #69
      Haha, oh well dude, it looks good from here.

I had a similar issue spraying here in Gainesville. I had an '86 Quantum syncro wagon I did a ton of body work on. I really took my time, shaved the rear hatch, antennae hole, rust patched etc. smoothed and re-smoothed. She ended up straight as an arrow, sprayed in my home garage, looked great.

Then I opened the door to let out the fumes and the bugs just rolled in! Ahhhhhhhhhh!
      I think they love the smell of drying paint or something. I feel your pain brotha. Look forward to seeing the truck at the GTG.

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 02:55 PM #70
      Well she's together! Atleast enough for gtg.
      Worked til 4 or 5am weds night... got all the lights rewired properly, got the doors assembled(except door panels ) hood release, etc. Seemed like a list that would never end. But I got to the end, and when I went to fire it up and leave the shop it didn't want to run.
      The injector pump would lose its prime and take forever to start and you would have to wait for it to clear up... now it wouldn't run at all. Best I could get out of it was an idle...
      So I took Thursday off work, and when I woke up I drove down to Triangle for some parts. Got a front seal and a intermediate shaft seal, and an Aba pan gasket. I also went over to accurate diesel and got a seal kit for the pump incase this one spare didn't work. Since im taking off the injector pump decided to now replace the alternator bracket so I can put a compressor on it again, and also I changed out the water pump. I didn't do it before because the bolts on the water pump housing were breaking and I didn't want to remove the injection pump.

So last night was another long night. Replaced all the mentioned gaskets, water pump and housing, injection pump and timed pump. She runs like a top!
      This morning went down to Sanford and got the new front tires from TUNERSHOP installed.

Fixing to get packed and off to Dt Augustine!

And proof she made it off the property!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast