Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removing TCM 1.8 Jetta 09A Trans

Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0 / 2013 Yellow TDI Beetle / RIP 2003 Jetta 1.8T
      09-24-2012 03:56 AM #1
      I am about to replace the TCM in my 2003 1.8 09A Jetta.

I am clear on the raintray removal.

However, I am not sure how the TCM comes out? I saw a post that said it slides out? How do I safely disconnect the electrical lines from the TCM? Does the cable connections have to be removed from TCM and ECU at the same time?

Does anyone have an exploded view from the dealer?
      -Yep, thats right, I'm a girl-

Its a wolfsburg thing, you wouldn't understand.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/1.8T Jetta 5sp Automatic
      09-24-2012 12:11 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by midorialexandros View Post
      I am about to replace the TCM in my 2003 1.8 09A Jetta.

I am clear on the raintray removal.

However, I am not sure how the TCM comes out? I saw a post that said it slides out? How do I safely disconnect the electrical lines from the TCM? Does the cable connections have to be removed from TCM and ECU at the same time?

Does anyone have an exploded view from the dealer?
      The first thing you have to do is to disconnect the battery.
      After this you can unplugg the TCM.
      TCM is attached to a metal base, this base is attached with two nuts to the plenum chamber, remove these two nuts and it will be loose.
      The easiest way I found to be able to pull the TCM out while attached to the base is by removing the cabin air filter and the cabin air filer housing.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-24-2012 08:04 PM #3
      I'll add that the connectors have "slides" to unplug them. Slide them to the left and to the right to unplug the two connectors.

Usually there are 3 phillips screws on the TCM. two in the front and one in the rear. Unscrew the two in the front. The one in the back is impossible to get to, but it sits in a slot. Just pull very hard forward and it will slide out of the slot.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 12:21 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      I'll add that the connectors have "slides" to unplug them. Slide them to the left and to the right to unplug the two connectors.

Usually there are 3 phillips screws on the TCM. two in the front and one in the rear. Unscrew the two in the front. The one in the back is impossible to get to, but it sits in a slot. Just pull very hard forward and it will slide out of the slot.
      How should I go about disconnecting the cables from the TCM/ECU? It almost looks like these two have to be disconnected together? Is there a trick to disconnecting these?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      09-25-2012 02:01 PM #5
      How should I go about disconnecting the cables from the TCM/ECU? It almost looks like these two have to be disconnected together? Is there a trick to disconnecting these?
      Disconnect them from where?
      the TCM and ECU?

The slide that CoolAirVw is talking about is circled in red in the picture below (click on it to see a larger picture) pull that slide to the left of the vehicle, once slide is all the way to the left, connector will be loose.

You might be able to fit a screw driver between the connector and the slide so it's easier for you to push it to the left.

This same procedure applies to the ECU, but ECU has two connectors, one small and another a little bigger.

Hope this helps

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-25-2012 03:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by carfreak01 View Post
      You might be able to fit a screw driver between the connector and the slide so it's easier for you to push it to the left.
      All excellent advice but be real careful not to break stuff with that screwdriver.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 11:52 AM #7
      Disconnect them from where?
      the TCM and ECU?

The slide that CoolAirVw is talking about is circled in red in the picture below (click on it to see a larger picture) pull that slide to the left of the vehicle, once slide is all the way to the left, connector will be loose.

This same procedure applies to the ECU, but ECU has two connectors, one small and another a little bigger.

Hope this helps
      Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it. Any ideas on how to set adoption mode for the TCM after installation?

Also for good measure the TCM is on the left and the ECU is on the right, yes?

TCM arrives tomorrow... hopefully this takes care of my problems....
      Last edited by midorialexandros; 09-26-2012 at 11:54 AM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-26-2012 12:03 PM #8
      Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it. Any ideas on how to set adoption mode for the TCM after installation?

There are a few threads in this forum about a reset procedure for the TCM but I cannot tell you if they work or not, the service manual says that basic settings should be done with the scan tool, if you have vag com you can go to ross tech web page (www.ross-tech.com) for the instructions on performing basic settings, if you do not have vag com then maybe you can go to a dealer for them to reset your TCM.

Per the bentley manual, everytime you change or disconnect the battery, you change or unplugg the TCM you should perform basic settings.

TCM is on the right side of the vehicle next to the cabin air filter, ECU is almost in the middle of the plenum chamber. The TCM has only 1 big connector which is the one showing in the picture I posted on my previous write up, ECU has two connectors.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-26-2012 12:08 PM #9

TCM arrives tomorrow... hopefully this takes care of my problems....
      Let me ask you something, how did you order your TCM if you cannot tell which one is it? Which part number did you use to order it?
      The part number on the new TCM has to be the same as in your old TCM.
      TCM is not always the same for the 09A, it depends on the particular vehicle.

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 05:33 PM #10
      Let me ask you something, how did you order your TCM if you cannot tell which one is it? Which part number did you use to order it?
      The part number on the new TCM has to be the same as in your old TCM.
      TCM is not always the same for the 09A, it depends on the particular vehicle.
      I gave the dealer my VIN.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      09-26-2012 09:28 PM #11
      I gave the dealer my VIN.
      Good.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 11:36 AM #12
      There are a few threads in this forum about a reset procedure for the TCM but I cannot tell you if they work or not, the service manual says that basic settings should be done with the scan tool, if you have vag com you can go to ross tech web page (www.ross-tech.com) for the instructions on performing basic settings, if you do not have vag com then maybe you can go to a dealer for them to reset your TCM.

Per the bentley manual, everytime you change or disconnect the battery, you change or unplugg the TCM you should perform basic settings.
      Except the dealer wants 115.00 to do that. lol

13. Member
      Vehicles
      09-27-2012 01:42 PM #13
      Except the dealer wants 115.00 to do that. lol
      Well, there's more than 1 option as far as I can see.

-You could look for someone with vagcom that might be willing to help you do this
      -You could spend $115 at the dealer to have your TCM reset
      -Or you can buy vagcom and do it yourself.

I'll personally choose the 3rd one because I like working on my car and I'm not planning on changing brands and you can use it for several vehicles of VW group, but of course is not cheap, but it could be a good investment.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 01:58 PM #14
      Well, there's more than 1 option as far as I can see.

-You could look for someone with vagcom that might be willing to help you do this
      -You could spend $115 at the dealer to have your TCM reset
      -Or you can buy vagcom and do it yourself.

I'll personally choose the 3rd one because I like working on my car and I'm not planning on changing brands and you can use it for several vehicles of VW group, but of course is not cheap, but it could be a good investment.
      Yeah I had considered it a few times.

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 08:40 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      All excellent advice but be real careful not to break stuff with that screwdriver.
      I did not check the pins on the wires before I got the TCM.

However - Replacing the TCM fixed my issues.

We drove it after the replacement and immediately noticed when I put the car in reverse that the speedo began showing numbers ( before completely unresponsive in reverse ). Got on the main street and hit the accelerator - all gears perfect shifting and immediately went into 5th gear. Prior to the replacement we had no 5th gear and the shifting patterns were horrible intermittently. Drove it 10 miles and then went back and had the throttle position set, kick down set, and trans put in learning mode. All is well. My buddy noted that there were now codes stored in the ECU indicating that the TCM has been signaling intermittent faults. I am not sure when this happened because the last time I had it read, about a month or so ago, there were no TCM codes.

Car is absolutely perfect. Night and day from the moment we replaced the TCM this morning. The speedo also no longer freezes between shifts, where it did before. All's well that ends well I suppose. Better I only paid 150 than 780 the stealership wanted.